Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Proper way to transfer from range bag to holster?

fake_out99

Only other thing, I have seen an "unload and clear" area  in the parking lot, basically a safe area where live ammo was allowed with a berm or clearing barrel. Usually more common at IDPA matches where folks may arrive locked and loaded with same gun they plan on competing with. show up, walk over to clearing barrel, draw clear, reholster, before coming on to range.
Anytime I have ever been to a new range I just stay bagged or leave stuff in car and just ask where I can unbag,, not that complicated.

Edited by Joe4d

4 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I tried that at a match, and got couple comments about holding up the match -

was suggested I stay holstered.    So, I did.   :) 

Well I only do it if there is a safe table at the stage and I can walk over and do it whenever I want, if you are have some one bring your bag to the line to unholster then yes I can see that holding up the show a bit, my way has no bearing on what else is happening.

When I shot IDPA (very briefly) about a decade ago, our range

was run HOT.  Never unloaded or showed clear.

Loaded up and holstered.

Took a one-day course that was also run HOT - the Deputy who ran the

course explained that since he didn't know any of us, if we turned around

and faced him with a gun in our hand, no DQ - he would SHOOT us.     :surprise:

3 hours ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

When I shot IDPA (very briefly) about a decade ago, our range

was run HOT.  Never unloaded or showed clear.

Loaded up and holstered.

Took a one-day course that was also run HOT - the Deputy who ran the

course explained that since he didn't know any of us, if we turned around

and faced him with a gun in our hand, no DQ - he would SHOOT us.     :surprise:

Ayoob famously states if you see the gun, you will see what comes out of it, in the context of being attacked.  So if the deputy saw the gun and wasn't shot, his statment can't be justified.  I'm afraid I'd just leave and ask for a refund.   

Edited by pskys2

I had a guy show up to try Steel Challenge and his "holster" was his front pocket! He said, "Well the trigger guard is covered and the gun is retained"...

No, he didn't get to shoot that day. The gun really was kind of a good fit though.

I carry my gun in a gun bag and holster when I L&MR. I do not carry at SC matches because that paint goes everywhere!

For USPSA I holster from the gun bag to the holster at the safe table before the match begins. Doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me.

On 5/25/2019 at 12:45 PM, Joe4d said:

Only other thing, I have seen an "unload and clear" area  in the parking lot, basically a safe area where live ammo was allowed with a berm or clearing barrel. Usually more common at IDPA matches where folks may arrive locked and loaded with same gun they plan on competing with. show up, walk over to clearing barrel, draw clear, reholster, before coming on to range.
Anytime I have ever been to a new range I just stay bagged or leave stuff in car and just ask where I can unbag,, not that complicated.

USPSA RULES

2.5 Unloading/Loading Station
2.5.1 If it is possible that some competitors arriving at a range where a USPSA match is being held may be in possession of a loaded firearm on their person (e.g. law enforcement officers, persons duly authorized to carry a loaded firearm, etc.), match organizers should provide an Unloading/Loading Station to enable such competitors to safely unload their firearms prior to entering the range, and to safely load their firearms again on departure from the range. The Unloading/Loading Station should be conveniently located outside the entrance to the range (or outside the portion of the range allocated to the USPSA match), it should be clearly marked with a sign and it must include a suitable impact zone.

On 5/25/2019 at 8:48 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

I tried that at a match, and got couple comments about holding up the match -

was suggested I stay holstered.    So, I did.   :) 

It's your time if you're the shooter. Tell them to go piss up a rope!

1 minute ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

All depends on "local customs"....

Ask the local MD to be sure.

Some MD's allow it, and others do NOT.

Agree %100