Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Lee357

Intro class USPSA

I signed for the intro class and am shooting this weekend and its going to rain.☹️How did you get into USPSA and did you take an intro class or just go and shoot??

Posted (edited)

Back when I started we just showed up and started hurling rocks🤣

It's not a bad idea, if you can afford it, to take an intro class from a good teacher with experience.

A safety orientation is a definite plus, as that is the biggest issue to address.  Even the most experienced competitor can foul up a stage, most of us are not judgemental.

But SAFETY we take VERY Seiously!

Edited by pskys2

Just showed up.

Intro class would have been good.
I didnt understand anything about USPSA when I started.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

As long as you can handle your weapon safely, there is always someone in the squad who will gladly explain every detail you wish to know.  The problem is getting me to shut up!

Intro class is great if you don’t have any friends who are already active in the sport.

If nothing else, the knowledge  of safety rules and the scoring system would be worth it.

Posted (edited)

If you've never observed a match, here's a couple hints:

Bring your gun unloaded and in a bag. Un-bag and holster your weapon ONLY at the safety table. Holster it in unloaded and "safe condition" (hammer down, any external safeties engaged). When you get to your squad, let them know it's your first match. They will move you to last in order so you can observe others run the course of fire. Pay attention to the range commands. Do not unholster your gun until you are directed to "Make Ready" by the Range Officer.

Our section has a good training manual that is helpful: http://www.columbia-cascade.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2008_CCS_Safety_Manual.pdf

Have fun and say goodbye to your wallet!

Edited by Mcfoto

Did an action pistol class before my first match several years ago.

Day long course. Covered safety (of course), gun handling (including drawing and reholstering), rules, stage planning, and live fire.

They covered USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge. With a stage for each.

I liked it made the whole more accessible for me. Even meet some folks there I shot with later.

Based on the date it's a far chance you're talking about the class we put on at Sioux Falls Practical Shooters.  I really hope you got something out of it.  If you have any thoughts on ways we could improve it for next year please let me know.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lee357 said:

1.  shooting this weekend and its going to rain.     2.  did you take an intro class or just go and shoot??

1.  If you're going to shoot USPSA, get used to shooting in the rain.   Won't hurt you - just come prepared

2.  My club required I attend a four-hour course they held - glad I went, very good info.    :) 

Our club offers an intro class. It's not mandatory but is highly recommended. I took it and I do encourage anyone new to the sport to take one. Ours is a couple hours. The first hour is going over the rules, division, equipment etc. Then you go out and run two stages. We try to let everyone get the feel for how a match will run and what to expect. For me it was a great way to get introduced into the sport without feeling like I was asking to many questions or bothering anyone.