Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Intro class USPSA

Lee357

Back when I started we just showed up and started hurling rocks🤣

It's not a bad idea, if you can afford it, to take an intro class from a good teacher with experience.

A safety orientation is a definite plus, as that is the biggest issue to address.  Even the most experienced competitor can foul up a stage, most of us are not judgemental.

But SAFETY we take VERY Seiously!

Edited by pskys2

As long as you can handle your weapon safely, there is always someone in the squad who will gladly explain every detail you wish to know.  The problem is getting me to shut up!

If you've never observed a match, here's a couple hints:

Bring your gun unloaded and in a bag. Un-bag and holster your weapon ONLY at the safety table. Holster it in unloaded and "safe condition" (hammer down, any external safeties engaged). When you get to your squad, let them know it's your first match. They will move you to last in order so you can observe others run the course of fire. Pay attention to the range commands. Do not unholster your gun until you are directed to "Make Ready" by the Range Officer.

Our section has a good training manual that is helpful: http://www.columbia-cascade.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/2008_CCS_Safety_Manual.pdf

Have fun and say goodbye to your wallet!

Edited by Mcfoto

Did an action pistol class before my first match several years ago.

Day long course. Covered safety (of course), gun handling (including drawing and reholstering), rules, stage planning, and live fire.

They covered USPSA, IDPA, and Steel Challenge. With a stage for each.

I liked it made the whole more accessible for me. Even meet some folks there I shot with later.

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the date it's a far chance you're talking about the class we put on at Sioux Falls Practical Shooters.  I really hope you got something out of it.  If you have any thoughts on ways we could improve it for next year please let me know.

On 5/15/2019 at 12:20 PM, Lee357 said:

1.  shooting this weekend and its going to rain.     2.  did you take an intro class or just go and shoot??

1.  If you're going to shoot USPSA, get used to shooting in the rain.   Won't hurt you - just come prepared

2.  My club required I attend a four-hour course they held - glad I went, very good info.    :) 

Our club offers an intro class. It's not mandatory but is highly recommended. I took it and I do encourage anyone new to the sport to take one. Ours is a couple hours. The first hour is going over the rules, division, equipment etc. Then you go out and run two stages. We try to let everyone get the feel for how a match will run and what to expect. For me it was a great way to get introduced into the sport without feeling like I was asking to many questions or bothering anyone. 

• 2 weeks later...

For me it was good here as completion allows practice with the holster in the range,  like a specific holster class.  Without either this is not possible.  We also did a short 2 stage training match after basic and of course heavy safety rules orientation.  Go over the rule book a few min the night before and have fun.  Make the safety rules second nature before your first match.

no intro class, no new shooters brief. just showed up and said i was new and people looked out for me and talked me through it if i was doing something dumb or goofy. found uspsa and idpa off a google search.

Edited by rowdyb

I just showed up. I don’t know of any intro classes in my area—typically before the match they’ll ask if there are any new shooters, take them aside and give them a quick rundown of how everything works. Usually everyone is willing to help a new shooter out and will answer any questions you have. 

I went to watch a match at my local club, then went to a club an hour away and took an intro class so I could shoot their match that was 2 weeks before my local clubs next match. needless to say I've been hooked ever since that first time watching.

• 2 weeks later...

The order for me so far has been.....

1) Attended a local match. It was awesome. Everyone chatted me up, answered all my questions. Got dragged out repeatedly during stage walk thrus with explanations. 

2) took a Level ll practical pistol class. I wanted to test gear, drill safety and safe handling skills in to my brain, and learn fundamentals. 

3) Joined a smaller range that is very active with USPSA, IDPA, 3 Gun, and Steel challenge. There are 6 outdoor ranges within an hour’s drive but only 2 of them have a healthy action shooting contingency with regular matches. 

4) first match is the the first weekend in July. I’ll walk it, pay attention to the process, and work diligently on not getting DQ’d for being an idiot. 

All this said, I could have just easily shot my first match, then done the other stuff.match participants are some of the nicest folks I have ever met. They want you to have fun. 

Big fan of trying to find out the right way to do things on the front end. It saves frustration and you do not end up needing to unlearn bad habits, or getting dq'd because you did not know something or were not advised to practice the tricky things (e.g. reloading while moving to your weak side without breaking the 180, running backwards and then shooting around a wall without breaking the 180, etc) at home with an empty gun. 

I've sent home a few people who were advised to just show up and shoot and a couple times they muzzled me with a loaded gun and made me reconsider the wisdom of being a volunteer s.o. or r.o. . 

And it rained at my intro class too :) . 

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 12:53 PM, rowdyb said:

no intro class, no new shooters brief. just showed up and said i was new and people looked out for me and talked me through it if i was doing something dumb or goofy. found uspsa and idpa off a google search.

That was me at my first match ever (IDPA)

The club at which I began shooting USPSA required new shooters to attend a safety / general orientation class before shooting their first match.  It was offered free two or three times per year.  I wound up becoming the instructor for a few years.  

A local club puts on an Intro class. The first half was classroom where some of the rules and safety aspects are gone over. After lunch,  we shot three stages of varying difficulty. The fee for your first match as this range is waived if you take the class.