2011 Guns

Hiroshi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It all depends if you want a precision tuned machine that is akin to a piece of art, or want to spend the same money on a gun that is priced according to licensing costs with quality being on the back end of the price. I can't even imagine why anyone with access to the internet would even as this question.

Atlas.  STI makes great firearms when they stick around the $1.8-2K mark, but once you start getting into $2.5K+, it just doesn't make sense anymore to not go semi-custom or full custom...

Edited by fbzero

Had both the Atlas Titan and the poor man's version of the STI Combat Master, the DVC 3 gun.  Sold the Titan and kept the STI because the $4k gun didn't do anything the $2.5k one couldn't do.  Steel grip is a personal preference and quite frankly it felt more like an albatross on a 9 mm gun.  I would not drop $4k on a Limited gun again.

I’ll chime in whatever my opinion is worth. I’m a STI fan/collector with a lot of their guns or guns based off their frames. I would still take the Atlas over the JW3 gun. You’re going to get a lot more gun for your money. I do like the JW3 gun and I’m sure at some point (once prices go down) one will end up in my collection but if I had to get one that’s going to see some use then there’d be no doubt it’d be the Atlas. 

STI does build some great guns but remember you’re paying royalties to the John Wick franchise, Taran Tactical and profit to a company much larger than Atlas. 

4 hours ago, Firebull said:

Had both the Atlas Titan and the poor man's version of the STI Combat Master, the DVC 3 gun.  Sold the Titan and kept the STI because the $4k gun didn't do anything the $2.5k one couldn't do.  Steel grip is a personal preference and quite frankly it felt more like an albatross on a 9 mm gun.  I would not drop $4k on a Limited gun again.

I had a DVC 3G.  What you're not getting for $2500 is a pistol that won't shoot loose within about 3000 rounds.  You also don't get a pistol that's been given a level of attention befitting the price tag.  Ultimately, this lowers confidence....I have well over 6000 rounds through my TITAN and it feels as tight and precise as the day I bought it.

MB

5 minutes ago, RAVAGE88 said:

I had a DVC 3G.  What you're not getting for $2500 is a pistol that won't shoot loose within about 3000 rounds.  You also don't get a pistol that's been given a level of attention befitting the price tag.  Ultimately, this lowers confidence....I have well over 6000 rounds through my TITAN and it feels as tight and precise as the day I bought it.

MB

Over 5000 rounds on my 3G and it's still tight.  Yes, the Titan is a better built gun but it's not worth extra $1.5k for me.

19 hours ago, RAVAGE88 said:

MB

not alot of rounds for a 2011, why folks like them, they last forever,,, But again, I find both grossly overpriced. with alot of cosmetics that wont help your score. Although. I have the skills and tools to build my own. However if I had to pay for labor.. I guess that would be the going rate.

Edited by Joe4d

22 hours ago, Joe4d said:

not alot of rounds for a 2011, why folks like them, they last forever,,, But again, I find both grossly overpriced. with alot of cosmetics that wont help your score. Although. I have the skills and tools to build my own. However if I had to pay for labor.. I guess that would be the going rate.

I'm not representing 6000 rounds on the TITAN as a lot of rounds for a 2011, it's a simple comparison to my experience with the DVC3G.  If you were to utilize the skills and tools you say you have to build your own high-end 2011 and sell into a competitive market, what would MSRP be?

MB

Edited by RAVAGE88

bragging on a Limited gun with 6 k rounds is pretty laughable in my eyes.  I bought a 6" eagle for about 1800  did an eyeball trigger job, chucked the stupid guide rod and did a GI +1" recoil system,,,  thinking less than $100, trigger job, changed safety,,,, umm I think I changed rear sight,, maybe $80 ? So for well south of 3k I have a gun that can run with any gun on the planet.  All the other stuff is just fancy pants nonsense.
You used to be able to buy an STI Eagle,, and personalize it,,, GREAT GUNS ! that or buy a fitted slide barrel frame kit,, seems now you have to pony up for a bunch of millinial gee wiz crap... Buy Kuhnhassens book, a wide body frame and a Brownells catalog 

Edited by Joe4d

49 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

bragging on a Limited gun with 6 k rounds is pretty laughable in my eyes.  I bought a 6" eagle for about 1800  did an eyeball trigger job, chucked the stupid guide rod and did a GI +1" recoil system,,,  thinking less than $100, trigger job, changed safety,,,, umm I think I changed rear sight,, maybe $80 ? So for well south of 3k I have a gun that can run with any gun on the planet.  All the other stuff is just fancy pants nonsense.
You used to be able to buy an STI Eagle,, and personalize it,,, GREAT GUNS ! that or buy a fitted slide barrel frame kit,, seems now you have to pony up for a bunch of millinial gee wiz crap... Buy Kuhnhassens book, a wide body frame and a Brownells catalog 

And you somehow think I care what you think is laughable?  So you get on your soap box, throw a few buzz words around and brag about cobbling guns together in your garage after reading a book and digging through a catalog and of course, your creation will run with any gun on the planet....good for you, Dude, great job.  One thing you haven't done is read/understand the OPs question and post anything valid and on topic.

The question was:  "Which gun would you guys buy, the John Wick 3 STI Combat Master $3,899 or Atlas Gunworks Titan $3,900"

You apparently read it as:  "Which gun would you guys buy, the John Wick 3 STI Combat Master $3,899, Atlas Gunworks Titan $3,900 or, would you read a book, learn a few buzz words, poke around in a catalog and "build your own" so you can beat your chest and act like an arrogant ass on the internet while also not taking the time to understand responses to the OPs real question?"

MB

Edited by RAVAGE88

51 minutes ago, RAVAGE88 said:

You apparently read it as:  "Which gun would you guys buy, the John Wick 3 STI Combat Master $3,899, Atlas Gunworks Titan $3,900 or, would you read a book, learn a few buzz words, poke around in a catalog and "build your own" so you can beat your chest and act like an arrogant ass on the internet while also not taking the time to understand responses to the OPs real question?"

Interesting summation !

I caution EVERYONE to watch their attitudes.

Posting Guidelines

Attitude
Please be polite. Or if not polite, at least respectful.
No bickering. Regardless of the subject matter.
Antagonistic, offensive, or quarrelsome tones are not acceptable.
No trolling. No alternate accounts.

Sorry I didnt get that at all.
Pretty sure I did address the Ops questions. I wouldnt buy either, I find them over priced due to expensive cosmetics. Unfortunately seems like STI and SVI have gotten away from basic guns. 
Flat top STI eagle, and the basic edges were hardly cobbled together. Kuhnhausen is THE place to go for a shop manual on older guns. 1911's really arnt that complicated.
any way when  I was actively competing I probably ran 2 k a MONTH through mine. Have no idea the round count, but I know 2 orders of 70lbs of primers and a piece of the third went through it.
(HAzmat from powder valley let you order 70lbs on one hazmat fee)   Endorsing a gun because it has all of 6k through it... Yep I laughed. I apologize for the butthurt that may have caused you...  Maybe take a break and go to your safe room.
I also pretty much stated if I was building in all those cosmetics,,, Id charge alot too, doesnt help it shoot any better. Which was my intent to the op,,,
NOTHING those guns will do a basic eagle or edge, a few tweeks easily performed with a shop manual and basic tools cant also do.
Every now and then I break it out, and let casual shooters, shoot it,, people that usually shoot lower end poly guns... There are all amazed at how smooth and accurate it is.
Hey if budget doesnt matter and you like fancy cosmetics ? Go for it, nothing wrong with cool looks. You should see my bass boat.
But if your intent is to do your best and not spend more than you have to , I say buy an edge or eagle a kuhnhausen manual, learn to tune your own guns, and use the extra 2k or so to buy mags and ammo. 

To each their own Joe.  I’ve designed/developed numerous pistols (amongst many other platforms) that are currently on the market and in the hands of top shooters and I had my own line of 1911 frames and slides for a while.  I’ve owned and used the guns you’re mentioning, very underwhelming and I don’t lack the tools in the form of a complete CNC shop to do what I want with them.  The stories of cobbling, yeah, I laughed.  I choose what I choose because I don’t dabble (or cobble), if you’re hung up on this 6000 rounds thing, whatever, I guess you win the internet today....

MB

5 hours ago, cheby said:

CZ TSO

I have a TSO as well as an Atlas. I will be honest in that I think the Atlas is a better gun. Of course it is a different style gun. One big thing about owning the Atlas is that is has helped me realize how great the TSO is for it's price. No other gun compares to the TSO in regards to bang for your buck. I believe  it would take a gun with the price point of the Atlas to outshine the TSO. Of course this is my opinion, and it only has to matter to me. :)

2 hours ago, BLUEPSTU said:

I have a TSO as well as an Atlas. I will be honest in that I think the Atlas is a better gun. Of course it is a different style gun. One big thing about owning the Atlas is that is has helped me realize how great the TSO is for it's price. No other gun compares to the TSO in regards to bang for your buck. I believe  it would take a gun with the price point of the Atlas to outshine the TSO. Of course this is my opinion, and it only has to matter to me. :)

What do you mean by Better? Any performance benefits?? Nothing else really matters.

20 hours ago, cheby said:

What do you mean by Better? Any performance benefits?? Nothing else really matters.

It is a softer shooting gun with less recoil.  The trigger is also better. (I think a 1911 type trigger that pulls straight back rather than the TSO type is as good as it gets.) I have set personal records with split times in between shots since getting the Atlas Titan.  I say this thinking that I got an above average trigger on my TSO compared to others I have shot. (My TSO trigger was 1.1 lbs. when I first got it and may be lighter after 14,000 rounds) The Phoenix Trinity grip system is so much better than what the TSO offers. (I ended up using LOK grips as the stock grips of the TSO were too slippery.)  When you hold the Titan, you can tell that it is more solid than the TSO. Can I say that the Titan is that much better then the TSO with the price point being that much difference? I don't know. You can't say that a Corvette is going to be 3 to 4 times faster than a Mustang even though the price is going to be that, but you know the Vette is going to offer more. (BTW, I am a huge mustang fan and have owned 3.) :)  Once again, just my opinion and I really love my TSO.