Hiroshi

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Of your choices the Atlas and it’s not close. Like others said, it’s 10x gun for the same money.  There are deals to be had here on the forums, as well. I think I just saw a DVC in really nice condition with a couple mags for $2200.

A few months ago I picked up an ancient edge on here for $1k, put $400 into it, and now the thing purs. You don’t have to drop $4k to have a competitive gun!

• 4 weeks later...

My honest opinion? 

Get what you want! Get which ever you like more and don't concern yourself with others opinions.  In the end they're going to be pretty much the same gun, they're all going to need a little fine tuning for your preferences and liking.  And if you think that one is drastically different for reason a, b, and c,  and you want it to shoot perfect out of box they you're probably not good enough for it to really matter, or your so good that you know it really doesn't matter.    If you are into the name or the hype of a gun them get that one. I personally find that 90% of what you hear from forums will be a cult followers spoutting the same circle jerking opinions.  You go to another forum page you'll hear the exact same comments for the other gun! You go to sig forums and they'll tell you sig is the best and czs are trash..   i bet you can guess what cz owners will say about sigs.   That's because everyone is only trying to justify their own purchases..  if anyone tries to tell them otherwise they get butt hurt about it.  Notice the most neutral opinions here are from those who own both Atlas and STI?

For example, here more people prefer Atlas,  the community favors Atlas, you go to the sti forums, guess what they like?  Now Look at the uspsa national equipment survey.  The strong majority of competitors are running STI.  Now this could be that STI is willing to throw more money at competitors to use their pistols but if their guns are 1/10th the gun of (insert 2011 manufacturer) then wouldn't you think the competitors would turn down STI to use the pistol that gives them the better advantage? 

Why don't they all run Atlas, SVI, Akai, Limcat (won Nationals 2018) why do over half run STI?  Probably because when they're at that level, they realize that it doesn't matter what gun they use, but who throws the most money at them..

My point is both pistols will be awesome and I'm sure you'll like both, so pick the one that speaks to you most because i can guarantee you, that neither will give you a real competitive advantage over the other. And if people want to argue it will, them I'm sure you wouldn't have needed our opinions in the first place!

The only real argument that can be made here is that combat Master is only available in 9mm which actually puts you at a disadvantage in limited.. but that's due to old outdated rules imo..  If you're shooting 3-gun, or just wanting to have fun then again then it's doesn't matter! 

*Moved here from my original post since i managed to leave it in the wrong topic*  we all miss the Target sometimes...

2 hours ago, CrossOut said:

In the end they're going to be pretty much the same gun, they're all going to need a little fine tuning for your preferences and liking.

Uh, no.  Not even close.  People prefer the Atlas (and various others) over STI because they're proven to be better quality, more reliable and come from companies that provide better service.

28 minutes ago, ltdmstr said:

Uh, no.  Not even close.  People prefer the Atlas (and various others) over STI because they're proven to be better quality, more reliable and come from companies that provide better service.

Hmmm. we own a couple atlas titans and a couple edges, and I don't know that I would say the atlas is any more reliable. It's certainly a bit easier to shoot accurately at speed, and the customer service from atlas is definitely more timely, but I've had to switch back to my edge at 2 major matches this year for various reasons, and it has performed flawlessly.

Edited by motosapiens

They will both have minor issues, they're both going to need a little extra work here or there.  Neither are 100%.   But let's be honest here,  we've probably seen 5x more STIs fail.. but remember there are 5x more STIs ran in competition than any other manufacturer in limited or unlimited...   If STIs were truly prone to failure, or the other brands gave that big of an advantage over STIs then you can guranteed 50% of competitors wouldn't be running STI.. which they are....

From what everyone is saying the combat Master is a significant cut above the traditional STI offerings..   fit and finish is much nicer. Blending is better, tuning and smoothing is better.. is it an Atlas? Not sure no one has compared them yet.

Now if you compared an Atlas to a stock dvc3, you'll likely see a number of differences, but remember the dvc 3 is a $3k, the Atlas is $4k..  I'm sure that you can spend $1k on the dvc 3 and have it running as good as of not better than the Atlas..

As for customer service, Atlas probably has a little competitive edge,   Atlas will definitely pick up more and respond faster.. if you manage to get a hold of sti they're just as nice as any other fantastic manufacturer.  But remember, sti sells a lot more guns and has a lot more ppl contacting them.

Edited by CrossOut

5 minutes ago, CrossOut said:

Now if you compared an Atlas to a stock dvc3, you'll likely see a number of differences, but remember the dvc 3 is a $3k, the Atlas is $4k.. 

The atlas comes with a $600 metal grip, so if that's something you want, it puts the price pretty close to the dvc. That's why I bought an atlas (and i pre-ordered it, so it was less than $4k).

• 1 year later...
On 5/16/2019 at 8:02 PM, BLUEPSTU said:

I have a TSO as well as an Atlas. I will be honest in that I think the Atlas is a better gun. Of course it is a different style gun. One big thing about owning the Atlas is that is has helped me realize how great the TSO is for it's price. No other gun compares to the TSO in regards to bang for your buck. I believe  it would take a gun with the price point of the Atlas to outshine the TSO. Of course this is my opinion, and it only has to matter to me. :)

I have to agree here.  I competed for my first year in Standard IPSC Division with a TSO and loved it.  I moved up to STI DVC for twice the money and significant improvements.  Now I have a Titan on order.  Hard to beat the price point of the TSO, though.

On 1/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, Drmike said:

I have to agree here.  I competed for my first year in Standard IPSC Division with a TSO and loved it.  I moved up to STI DVC for twice the money and significant improvements.  Now I have a Titan on order.  Hard to beat the price point of the TSO, though.

I have actually moved on from the Titan and got an Atlas Hyperion. I do like it much more than the Titan as it is over 1 pound lighter. Still I don't think there is a softer shooting gun on the planet than the Titan.

I've come to the (expensive) realization that I just shoot metal gripped guns better.  I've shot my Atlas NYX in three matches so far and I'm winning ESP and placing much higher against the CO and PCC guys than I was with my STI CO gun.  And I REALLY like the new Alpha grip.  Building up the right side of the grip is exactly what I needed to fix my grip issues.