Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45 Degree Safety Selector - Worthwhile for PCC?

Trying to improve my 'Stock on belt ... carbine held in both hands with safety on' start...  It seems to be the predominant starting position for PCC stages and classifiers, so I'm trying to get faster at it...  As I practice, it seems like the 90 degree throw of my current safety might be holding me up.

I'm currently using a QC-10 lower receiver with a DPMS safety selector and a HiperFire Eclipse trigger...  I've been doing some research and find that some 45 degree safeties don't seem to work well with HiperFire triggers.  The Radian Talon looks like a well designed safety selector...  Will it work with a HiperFire Eclipse trigger?

Is a 45 degree safety selector worthwhile?

In my experience I prefer a single sided (left side) mil spec safety with a really good detent and spring. I prefer the stock on belt start, as soon as I hear the buzzer I’m flicking my safety as I’m bringing the gun to my shoulder. Fastest first shot target array and stage depending is sub .60 and belt starts with my laser have been sub .25. I know some guys with use push button safeties with good success. 

Edited by Bwillis

I haven't messed with it too much yet, but my new  V Seven safety will go 57° or 90°  

Its pretty nice, with a Titainium center and aluminum levels.

When I first got it, I put it in as 57° and my brain didn't like it, so I installed it old school 90°, with the intention of revisiting the shorter throw later.

Oops sorry 

Fine print at the bottom says ambi not compatible with Hyperfire

Edited by Startingover

45 or 90......or anything in between.....is it really going to make you faster? 95% of the starts are off the belt.....by the time you get it up to your cheek.....the safety is gonna be off. However, if it makes you think you are faster.....put it in. Some of this stuff is a total mind blow and if YOU think it's better.....then it IS better.

To me it's not speed, it's using the minimum amount of muscles in your hand to do things other than squeeze the trigger. In this case. In this case, move your thumb like you're releasing the safety and watch/feel what the rest of the muscles in your hand do: move.

45 or 60 doesn't make much difference IMO. I also like ambi's for unload/show clear. Just easier to flick the safety back on with my trigger finger. 

The one I like best so far is the Odin works paddle jobber. Configurable, works with two of my Hiperfires and g2g on an MPX. It acts like a shelf, so once I flick the safety off I can leave my thumb on there if I so choose. 

I had the Radian on my blowback pcc using a Hiperfire 24-3g and a 24c trigger. never had any issues.

I am shooting a SIG Mpx now with a 90 degree ambi safety. 

the reason I went to a 45 degree safety was that coming off the belt, several times I had not fully gotten the safety to the fire position. Once I changed over that went away.

So far, on the MPX I have only had it happen 2x. In USPSA, that time lost re-engaging the safety can be the difference between a top 10 finish or not.

I will most likely be moving over to the radian on my MPX as soon as I can get more cash together.

Ergonomics is different for everyone. People have large hands small hands, stubby fingers, long lanky fingers, etc... go with a selector configuration you can reliably operate, beyond that I dont think it matters. If you can operate your existing lever fine, I doubt you will see a performance increase with a different lever.

I use a single sided v7 safety because it's easier to flip back on. In 3-gun it makes it easier to put the rifle on safe and dump it, and it's safer IMO to move larger distances with the safety on.

I don't notice any increase in speed disengaging it though.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, RAINY0DAYS said:

I use a single sided v7 safety because it's easier to flip back on. In 3-gun it makes it easier to put the rifle on safe and dump it, and it's safer IMO to move larger distances with the safety on.

I don't notice any increase in speed disengaging it though.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Pretty much my approach/concern as well.  I actually find that the normal 90˚ down/fire position gives me a more direct leverage for my thumb when putting it on.  A long ambition one the right side is even better for my fingers, but it interferes a bit with my grip when down, so I might try a short right-side ambi.

3 hours ago, mstamper said:

I had the Radian on my blowback pcc using a Hiperfire 24-3g and a 24c trigger. never had any issues.

I am shooting a SIG Mpx now with a 90 degree ambi safety. 

the reason I went to a 45 degree safety was that coming off the belt, several times I had not fully gotten the safety to the fire position. Once I changed over that went away.

So far, on the MPX I have only had it happen 2x. In USPSA, that time lost re-engaging the safety can be the difference between a top 10 finish or not.

I will most likely be moving over to the radian on my MPX as soon as I can get more cash together.

I think I have a similar situation...  I seem to be spending a little extra time making sure the safety is completely off during the draw...  Thinking that not pressing the safety lever completely vertical might make it easier, faster to get it completely off consistently...  Just a flip instead of a complete 90 degree turn.

6 hours ago, Startingover said:

I haven't messed with it too much yet, but my new  V Seven safety will go 57° or 90°  

Its pretty nice, with a Titainium center and aluminum levels.

When I first got it, I put it in as 57° and my brain didn't like it, so I installed it old school 90°, with the intention of revisiting the shorter throw later.

Oops sorry 

Fine print at the bottom says ambi not compatible with Hyperfire

The vseven am I will rock with hyper fire trigger. Once the trigger breaks, you can make the cylinder rotate by pulling trigger. You have to use the single sided safety if you want to run vseven. 

8 minutes ago, RaylanGivens said:

I think I have a similar situation...  I seem to be spending a little extra time making sure the safety is completely off during the draw...  Thinking that not pressing the safety lever completely vertical might make it easier, faster to get it completely off consistently...  Just a flip instead of a complete 90 degree turn.

You can try clipping a couple of coils off safety dentent spring to make it easier to turn off. 

39 minutes ago, HoMiE said:

The vseven am I will rock with hyper fire trigger. Once the trigger breaks, you can make the cylinder rotate by pulling trigger. You have to use the single sided safety if you want to run vseven. 

I'm not sure what you mean here?  What cylinder are you talking about?

I would prefer a single sided safety...  The V7 seems to be one of the few single sided 45 degree safeties.

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

I'm not sure what you mean here?  What cylinder are you talking about?

I would prefer a single sided safety...  The V7 seems to be one of the few single sided 45 degree safeties.

The ambi version the cylinder that is supposed to block the sear from traveling will rotate from the way the hiperfire engages the center section of safety. The hyper fire is designed to rest on round part but those incompatible safeties have a flat spot. 

the single sided version works and it is what I use in one of my pcc. 

1 hour ago, RaylanGivens said:

What you are describing doesn't sound like a well-functioning safety.  It shouldn't be difficult to flip off.  Are you positive it doesn't need tuned a bit?  My JP requires some oil from time to time. 

35 minutes ago, longbeard said:

What you are describing doesn't sound like a well-functioning safety.  It shouldn't be difficult to flip off.  Are you positive it doesn't need tuned a bit?  My JP requires some oil from time to time. 

FOR ME, it was not so much that the safety was not well-functioning, it was more a fact that as I engaged the safety my thumb would come off the lever as I was shouldering the weapon and assume a proper grip and I had not put enough pressure on the lever to fully move it past the detent pin. Going to a shorter throw lever allowed me to get past the detent and fully put the safety into the fire position.

I use the joe bob outfitters ambi, it’s butt ugly, but I like it because it give you the option of 90 or 45%, the right is paddle is thin so it doesn’t hit my hand unlike the other ambi’s I’ve tried

i use at 45% not because it faster to take it off safe, but it’s easier to put on safe

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2019 at 3:51 PM, cvincent said:

Ascend armory 50 degree safety works with the Eclipse trigger. You don’t have to install both paddles. They’re about 30$.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I liked the Ascend Armory safety, but they seem to be sold out everywhere.

I went with the Radian Talon safety selector...  Running it in the 45 degree mode and it functions correctly with my HiperFire Eclipse trigger...  Left the right side lever off...  Looks a little unfinished, but works well.

Thought the 45 degree safety might be harder to flip because it performs the same operation as a 90, but with half the travel...  Didn't turn out to be the case, however...  It is just as smooth as my original MilSpec 90, but with half the travel.

I have a MPX with Hyperfire 24E trigger. I like the seekins safety on other guns and decided to stick one in there. It has been working just fine. Recently I found out that seekins does not recommend using this safety with hyperfire triggers. Anyone know what I have done wrong - or right?