Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm range brass

glocklover

I shoot a open STI DVC in 9mm.  I"ve shot 6-7 thousand  rounds through it in the past year with cheap range brass. No problems. A guy I shoot with says I shouldn't  shoot them.  I should buy new 9mm brass. Head case separation? Should I be worried? 

10 minutes ago, glocklover said:

I shoot a open STI DVC in 9mm.  I"ve shot 6-7 thousand  rounds through it in the past year with cheap range brass. No problems. A guy I shoot with says I shouldn't  shoot them.  I should buy new 9mm brass. Head case separation? Should I be worried? 

No don’t worry. Many of us reload 9MAJOR over and over and over. Don’t load any of the stepped junk and you’ll not be able to tell a load with new brass from a load with brass on its 5th or 6th loading

I have even seen new brass have case head separation.  I use once fired brass from LEObrass.com. A very nice guy to deal with. I don't have to worry if the brass was used in some really hot major round. 

The price is so cheap, I usually don't even bother picking it up!

Edited by ericskennard

No problems here with range brass.  I do sort out the lesser know brands, and use that for minor loads, and I toss the stepped stuff. For major i  use blazer, FC, win, and those are usually the bulk of what I pick up. But I also will use PMC, Speer, and I’m probably forgetting a few other brands. 

1 hour ago, Sarge said:

No don’t worry. Many of us reload 9MAJOR over and over and over. Don’t load any of the stepped junk and you’ll not be able to tell a load with new brass from a load with brass on its 5th or 6th loading

Great! Thanks.

The reason really serious shooters say buy new brass is consistency.  Range pickup 9mm brass is very inconsistent.  Much more so the 40 or 45.  Case volume varies a lot.  So does wall thickness and the hardness of the brass.  It make reloading more of a chore.  It also leads to less consistent ammo.

Personally, I would not buy new brass.  If I thought that feasible I'd have built 38SC instead of 9mm.  I'd love to buy fully processed once-fired same headstamp brass, but the supply is always limited.  I think I'll sort some headstamps to use in matches that chrono.

2 hours ago, darthdively said:

sometime you may run into bad brass. this happened out of my Tanfo open gun. this was with 9.7 gr AA7 and 115 fmj. i have to load short oal of like 1.115-1.12
. "Ammoload" was the headstamp1b3dd4b0e0030268628258a8927a5097.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

That's stepped brass for you.  Ammoload is one of the main headstamps on it around here.

There's also some brass-plated steel cases out there as well, but a magnet dragged through the brass bucket usually catches them, or one of the slick casefeed tube magnets if you don't have many.

The only issue I have seen with 9mm brass used many times over was primers falling out.  No big deal when happens in practice, a bit upsetting in a match, but might cost you a second or so, so I no longer use old brass in matches, only once fired, but that "buy new brass" story is a total hogwash.

Just take all the "range brass" 9mm you have and sort by headstamp.  This will give you all the uniformity you will get.  Trade what you don't use with someone in your area that does use it.  Adds a little more time to the reloading but you will gain as much uniformity as you can easily - cheaply - get.

2 hours ago, Steve RA said:

Just take all the "range brass" 9mm you have and sort by headstamp.  This will give you all the uniformity you will get.  Trade what you don't use with someone in your area that does use it.  Adds a little more time to the reloading but you will gain as much uniformity as you can easily - cheaply - get.

Good tip. Thanks.