Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mr. Bullet Feeder - bullets tilted or fallen off case

Dazhi

I have been using MBF for 3 years with no issues.  Starting recently, every 10 rounds or so the bullets would be tilted after it rotates to station #4.  The bullets drop into the case upright, but once the shell plate starts rotating I can see the bullets start to tilt. 

At first, I thought the case opening might be too wide. So I adjusted the expander die (the one comes with the MBF) - have been using the MBF expander die (e.g. powder funnel) since the beginning, to have a smaller opening.  However, the result is even worst.  Almost every other bullet now just falls out of the case when the shell plate rotates.

I watched DAA setup videos a couple times, but they did not talk about how to "insert the bullets harder into the case opening".  I tried lowering the bullet dropper tube (the piece that is secured to the top like a die), thinking maybe over time the whole MBF has been pushed up gradually by repetitive force, but that did not help.  

Any ideas? 

tilt-bullet2.jpg

tilt-bullet1.jpg

Edited by Dazhi

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WAY too much bell. Try dialing it back a tiny bit at a time.

I have a 550, but use the MBF powder die instead of the Dillon one. The MBF is amazing at making the perfect bell even in 9MM range brass with everything I have thrown at it. Even with what others refer to as garbage brass. Between that and a Lee Factory Crimp Die I have zero feed issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you use the MBF powder funnel? (see picture below)

Is that a new bullet you're loading? Have you always used a bullet with a lube groove? 

Dillon on the left, MBF on the right.

Image result for mbf powder funnel

Edited by 4n2t0

1 hour ago, iflyskyhigh said:

WAY too much bell. Try dialing it back a tiny bit at a time.

I have a 550, but use the MBF powder die instead of the Dillon one. The MBF is amazing at making the perfect bell even in 9MM range brass with everything I have thrown at it. Even with what others refer to as garbage brass. Between that and a Lee Factory Crimp Die I have zero feed issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you load jacketed or coated?  Lee FCD does crazy things to coated bullets and I have ditched it for a regular taper crimp die long ago.  Also, I did try very small bells - they shave off coating off the coated bullets when too small, plus, the bullets just fall immediately the moment shell plate starts rotating when I adjusted the bell to be very small.  I just feel the bullets are not being "inserted" into the opening, but rather just gently placed on the mouth.  I am hoping there is an adjustment I can make the MBF push down harder when the shell plate is raised up.  

Edited by Dazhi

I think that batch of bullets have a larger diameter than previous batches.   The lead may be larger, or the coating thicker.  I stopped using coated bullets all together, because of the variability issues.

BTW, the bell I use is microscopic.  I get a better crimp that way.

5 hours ago, ddc said:

What happens if you place them manually?

If I just gently place them by hands, they fall off the case when the shell plate rotates.  If I push a little bit into the case, they won't budge at all.  I remember previously these bullets are stuck into the case pretty hard.  The only thing I did recently was to take apart the whole press including the MBF dropper to clean it.  After I put everything back together, MBF starts to have this problem.  I suspect there is a setting on the MBF dropper tube somewhere to make the dropper push the bullets down harder.  Just not sure what I did when I originally set it up 3 years ago.  Maybe the 3 steel balls should go to the upper holes vs. the lower holes I now use?  Maybe the aluminum tube should be lowered further towards the shell plate?

I am pretty sure the bell opening does not have much to do with the issue, maybe a little bit. 

I remember previously I had even bigger bell opening, and I had to pull really hard to get the bullets out of the case from station #4, sometimes even when the bullets are upside down.  

11 hours ago, cbrconst said:

Also try the Spill Stop locator pin replacements from Reloading Innovations.  They will help to reduce the plate "jump" which can jostle even a properly seated bullet. 

Or you can use zip ties.

wck564N.jpg

16 hours ago, RePete said:

Or you can use zip ties.

wck564N.jpg

The OP is using a 650. Even at 900 RPH with a M7 auto drive on my 650 I didn't have a bullet tipping over problem. But, with 650s there's a whole lot of aftermarket options to help make the press smoother as it indexes.

Look at his bell and brass expansion, the bullets really have nothing to sit in and support them.

Edited by HesedTech