Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Carry Optics vs Open

BadShot

I'm currently shooting carry optics with a CZ Accu-Shadow. I have a low B classification.  I generally hit about 90% A's, but I'm somewhat slow(I'm 67).  How much of an improvement would I see by switching to open?  I'm sure mag capacity and major will be a help.  I just wonder if the difference between a frame mounted optic and one on the slide would be a big advantage.

Thanks

Open is a blast!

With that said any advantage you pick up with the gun,everyone else has also!  So

you classification won't change much if at all.

What changes classification is practice and learning how to move the most efficient way.

I hit 61 this year and the pegs to go as fast as they used to.

Matches vs classifiers are two different animals.

Summary:

Shoot the class you want to or that intrigues you!

Open is like crack cocaine, once you shoot it you will look at every stage and wonder if you

should have shot your open gun today!!!! 

Hi Skip,

I'm 69 and slow and accurate seems to describe most of the super seniors. We really compete against ourselves so comparisons to others is not that important to me. I like shooting open much more than CO. I find quite a difference with a tuned load and a good comp in how the guns shoot. I'm sure some of the guys you shoot with would be happy to let you try their open blaster. You may find you have even more fun.

If you are already shooting Alphas, go Open and just start pulling the trigger.  Occasional Charlies don't hurt as much in Major, and the comp really tames down the barrel movement.  

It is harder to pickup the dot in believe in Open than Carry Optics, especially Weak hand, so some practice will be required.

I just started shooting ooen....I mean like ONE match under my belt so far. So take anything I post with that in mind.

I went from limited to PCC due to my aging eyes and not being able to see iron sight as well or fast as I use to. The dot changed everything for me and made shooting USPSA fun again for me.

But I have been really missing Pistol shooting.  Being in Calif really limits what pistols are avaibke to me. So I had thought about CO. But after shooting a few different CO rigs that the folks here at our club shoot, it just did not excite me much.  

I was able to find a “new” (less than 50 rounds through it) old open gun and snatched it up. I had two days of dry fire practice before shooting in the match with it. 

All i I can say is, the fun is back again for me and I look forward to moving forward in open. I would say go for it. I think you will have a bunch of fun regardless of age.

good luck and happy Holidays.

I would add that with CO Vs open, you follow up shots will be faster. Due to the sight not moving as much as In CO.  With that said open s just more fun to me. I just upgraded from an open Glock set up to a ck arms build. Going to the range tomorrow!!!

Hello: Shooting open is faster than shooting CO. I am building a CO pistol right now but have shot open for years. The biggest change will be a red dot with a bigger lens and a gun that shoots flatter. Also with open you can shoot major or minor but major feels better to me using 115's. One thing on classifiers that you should know is that you will be a middle "C" or lower to start since the bar is so high in open. Other than that just do it and welcome to the dark side. Thanks, Eric

Everyone is glossing over something. You specifically listed a lack of speed as your biggest issue with improving.

Open is the speed demon division.

Hammering hits into the targets with the agression of someone who knows that charlies don’t hurt if you shoot fast enough, and shooting as many targets on the move as you can? These are Open division expectations for A class.

It’s the “go like a bat out of hell” division. And the classifier hit factors reflect that.

In addition, if you shoot with the same level of  (non) agression toward the targets, you will finish lower in Open than in Carry Optics against the other shooters.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Carry optics is fun!

Open is more fun.......but WAY more expensive and requires more work to run!

If money isn't the deciding issue, go open. 

If money is a concern or you don't want to do all the stuff needed to run open, then CO is it. 

Though, I don't personally think running open requires much more to run. I clean my gun more often and mags might need a little more attention but it's not too bad. 

If I was smart I'd stick with CO but I just ordered a build from Venom Custom but open is fun! So it's worth all the extra $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Edited by B_RAD

40 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Everyone is glossing over something. You specifically listed a lack of speed as your biggest issue with improving.

Open is the speed demon division.

Hammering hits into the targets with the agression of someone who knows that charlies don’t hurt if you shoot fast enough, and shooting as many targets on the move as you can? These are Open division expectations for A class.

It’s the “go like a bat out of hell” division. And the classifier hit factors reflect that.

In addition, if you shoot with the same level of  (non) agression toward the targets, you will finish lower in Open than in Carry Optics against the other shooters.

Very good point, thanks.  I was ready to make the jump a few months ago, but hesitated after reflecting on my past shooting experiences.  I have a lot of revolver and single stack shooting history.  The low capacity divisions made me very accuracy minded.    Part of attraction of open is allowing me to shoot with less emphasis on accuracy.  If I ever made B in open, I'd be really happy....

Thanks for all of the replies everyone..

Edited by BadShot

Skip,

i don't know if you reload or not.  Shooting open isn't that much more expensive than CO. These are many used open guns on this forum that are reliable guns from reliable shooters. If your  shooting jacketed or plated your ammo costs will be identical. I suggest using JHP only.

Open vs CO are 2 different beast. Like mentioned before, Open is more about speed then accuracy. Its going to come down to what are your goals. If you just want to shoot and have fun, not worry about constantly make sure the gun and equipment are perfectly tuned and clean, stay in CO.  

Open is WAY more expensive in the upfront cost and on going....I shot open for about 3 years and now shoot CO. They are both fun but your focus will be different. 

Okay, now a slightly different view.  We have a nice bunch of super seniors at our club.  Since we are all in different divisions, how we finish in the overall standings is how we determine bragging rights.  Not exactly fair, but it works fine.   I'm guessing that switching from CO to Open would produce about 10% improvement in the overall standings.  Does that seem reasonable?   It looks like buying a nice used Open gun would the route that I would go....

15 hours ago, Garmil said:

Yes if high in the overall standings is what you're after. Open or PCC

This.

I am roughly the same age as you. Blind in one eye & can't see out the other. Old,fat, & slow. A bunch of us shoot together of various ages & overall seems to be our way of bragging rights, too. I shot limited then open, improved greatly, but biggest improvement in overall was going to PCC. Open is all about foot speed & gun reliability. If you don't want tinker open is not he way to go. Always something between working on the gun & major loads. Went to PCC and have never looked back. The stability of the rifle, huge capacity, & red dot make up for my bad legs. Just a thought. 

gerritm