Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/26/2020 at 10:26 AM, AverageJoeShooting said:

Apparently grizzley gun works also makes M24x1 threaded comps. I don't think anyone knew of them before like 3 posts ago In this thread. 

They have ones in stock that should work. If you get one take a video and post it here so the rest of us can see if it works or not. 

I think the deal with advanced is that they are trying to control the stock and also terrible at production. So that combination makes it so the comps are never in stock. 

Also I keep seeing that the shot pattern spreads out with advanced stuff but I'm close to saying that it simple does not matter. I've had no issues using a mod choke and knocking over steel at 50 yards in competition. 

What would their motivation be to control the stock?  If they aren't selling it, they aren't making money.  ATI isn't a manufacturer as fas as I know, they are just a distributor.  I suspect getting a consistent supply from Derya is the real bottleneck.  They finally got a small supply of consumable parts like the extractor, firing pin, and a few springs.  The MK12 and VR80 seem to be very popular so all of the parts at Derya are going into the production of guns ($$$).  The sale of parts and accessories ($).

Nolan

7 minutes ago, Nolan said:

What would their motivation be to control the stock?  If they aren't selling it, they aren't making money.  ATI isn't a manufacturer as fas as I know, they are just a distributor.  I suspect getting a consistent supply from Derya is the real bottleneck.  They finally got a small supply of consumable parts like the extractor, firing pin, and a few springs.  The MK12 and VR80 seem to be very popular so all of the parts at Derya are going into the production of guns ($$$).  The sale of parts and accessories ($).

Nolan

It's not a straight import of the derya. They changed the thread size and some other small things. 

They would try to control the stock so that you would only be able to go to them for parts. Same idea as kimber and apple. Except they suck at the production end of things so it makes it so parts are never in stock and they also loose money and customers. 

Frankly I'm a bit surprised that this gun was released with so little aftermarket support. They knew it was a competition gun, but cant stock any of the competition parts. 

I just wish I could find a factory trigger, disconnecter and safety barrel to try and see what I can do with the factory parts. Extras in case I mess up.

I don't understand the tail on the disconnecter, served no purposes and looks way touch like a m16 disconnector for me.

I am going to mod the safety detent to be like the ar15 as I hate that little ball lol but that is mainly for ease of disasemby.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

It's not a straight import of the derya. They changed the thread size and some other small things. 

They would try to control the stock so that you would only be able to go to them for parts. Same idea as kimber and apple. Except they suck at the production end of things so it makes it so parts are never in stock and they also loose money and customers. 

Frankly I'm a bit surprised that this gun was released with so little aftermarket support. They knew it was a competition gun, but cant stock any of the competition parts. 

Advanced Tactical doesn't sell VR80 shotguns, they only sell parts and accessories.  Armscor/Rock Island Armory imports and sells the guns.  However by the addresses, ATI is a subsidiary of Armscor.  ATI is stocking competition parts from ELF, Taylor Freelance, Taccom and Mission First, so there are competition parts available.  

Just curious, why the hate for ATI and Kimber?  We all know why we hate Apple.

Edited by Ming the Merciless

Well I have shot 220 rounds of 1 1/8 oz 1500 fps threw my gun and it still would not function with anything lower than 1350 fps so I checked my gas ports and they was small, very small so I opened it up with a #29 drill bit. hope to get some shooting time in this week and see what it does. I am using the light gas piston.

On a good note with 2 20 round drums, 2 10 round mags and 2 five round mags I only had 1 issue and it was a 1200fps round that got mixed up in the mag, 1 user error as I short cycled the charging handle once. Recoil is mild considering its a 12 gauge and what I am shooting but this is the first semi shotgun I have ever fired. No shoulder bruising at all to speak of lol

I had a Holosun 510c mounted on each of my two VR80’s.  I tried to sight them in at 50 yards with slugs but in both cases, I ran out of adjustment.  They both shot high and left by about 4-5”. I tried two different slugs and got the same results. Have any of you see this problem and do you have a suggestion to correct it?  I thought about shimming the base on the Holosun or try a different red dot with more adjustment.  BTW, with the Holosun dot centered, the dot is on top of the right wing of the flip up front sight

I opened up my ports with a number 32 drill bit....size is .116.  Works well with 1200FPS Federal....shot a match today and had no problems at all.  I would like to know what Benny Hill is opening them up to....I "heard" that he is going even larger

What size are your gas ports? 
Mine are stock. We've heard  here of people opening up to .115" and .138"(#29 drill). Guess it's time to measure mine for start and to hear what has been working for others. 
I didn't measure to start with once I seen they was do small. I just opened the up with #29 today. Shot 20 rounds of dome 1200 fps and it ran great except for one looked like s light primer strike.

Can you send a pic of your opened gas ports?
I'll try to remember next time I break it down to grab some. But it's just the three holes opened up with the #29 drill bit. The holes was very small to start with, the #29 drill bit about doubled my hole size.
I've got several things I've done to my gun that does make it a Hassel to break down. And can't take the handguard completely off Easley.

1 hour ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

Can you send a pic of your opened gas ports?

Gas port 1

Gas port 2

The thumb rest has a section of rail attached with m-loks and they hit the compensator and wont allow me to remove the rail unless I remove the comp

Thumb rest

Forearm grip with thumb rest

The bottom rail I added to be able to mount what ever under the shotgun. Drilled and taped 2 sections of rail.

I also modded the kydex heat shield to allow room for my other rail sections.

I hope this helps, I'm not very good a photos and the photo size is so small I have to upload the pics to my site for the links.

Would love to see pictures oh how you folks have your guns setup.

Opening those ports sure did make my gun handle lower powered rounds, I did take all my mags apart and clean them up and bevel the followers edges as well as the promag drums - those was rough.

I would love to get hold of one of the wind up ak mags and work on a new drum that can be but wound up when needed.

Oh and Ill grab some pics of my charging handle later on, it ended up looking alot like the tacom version but is probably bigger. I cover it with heat shrink to add a little grip to it aswell, works good to get a fast grip.

6 hours ago, Muzzleflash said:

I had a Holosun 510c mounted on each of my two VR80’s.  I tried to sight them in at 50 yards with slugs but in both cases, I ran out of adjustment.  They both shot high and left by about 4-5”. I tried two different slugs and got the same results. Have any of you see this problem and do you have a suggestion to correct it?  I thought about shimming the base on the Holosun or try a different red dot with more adjustment.  BTW, with the Holosun dot centered, the dot is on top of the right wing of the flip up front sight

Is your sight mounted directly on the rail or is it on a riser? I put a Burris FF3 on a standard AR riser and didn't have any trouble getting slugs sighted in.

Edited by IHMSA15151

On 2/16/2020 at 7:37 PM, Nelsonh said:

roblem with small pellets coming out or logging in the ports?

First time poster, just pocket up my vr80 on Friday and have

Steve,

In both cases, the Holosun sight was mounted directly on the rail. I have a Vortex Venom ordered.  I will see how that works.

Gary

Help me out with this one...why is the buffer so light? Especially the taccom buffer...plastic/ aluminum. Is it just to aid in faster cycling? I keep thinking a heavier buffer would help in recoil control. I can never just leave well enough alone. What are your thoughts so I don’t have to go try and test a bunch of different buffers and spring combinations. Thanks