Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!
Rudukai13

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

I use a cmore that i had .. it works fine 

8 moa 

57476.thumb.jpeg.44df7c56e263d92d376f3ab464fce038.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Brian04rs said:

Thanks to everyone on this thread for contributing information on this gun. Local gun shop had one out of the blue when I was killing time and it followed me home! Still need to get a buffer set up, stock/grip and a dot. Excited to give 3gun a go now that I don’t have to sacrifice my fingers trying to learn to quad load my versamax!!!emoji23.png what’s the general consensus on a dot that will hold up? I know the 510c is awesome but saw one fail at a1 last weekend due to the lens popping out(frame mounted open gun)...any input would be welcomed again thanks to all involved in this thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run a C More rail way (12 MOA).  Also an RMR at 45 degrees for slugs.  I run the 12 MOA triangle and  use the tip of the triangle for POA. 

The optic is holding up fine.  I did need to loc tite the mounting bolts.

Edited by GSonnen

2 hours ago, GSonnen said:

I run a C More rail way (12 MOA).  Also an RMR at 45 degrees for slugs.  I run the 12 MOA triangle and  use the tip of the triangle for POA. 

The optic is holding up fine.  I did need to loc tite the mounting bolts.

I'm struggling to understand the 45 degree dot for slugs. Are all the targets at your range close for slugs? Because I know around me we routinely have targets out to about 80 yards for slugs 

I run a second dot because my primary dot when zeroed for bird is about 2' too low for my slugs at 50 yards. Two dots, two zeros - it's quite helpful.

28 minutes ago, ctay said:

I run a second dot because my primary dot when zeroed for bird is about 2' too low for my slugs at 50 yards. Two dots, two zeros - it's quite helpful.

But normally if the target is that far away it's like a 4 foot target that you just need to hit. Also wouldnt it be easier to know to hold 2 in high instead of having a second dot?

On 6/21/2019 at 10:13 AM, aandabooks said:

You'd be surprised what a comp does for this gun.  I thought mine was pretty good with no comp and just the shroud.  Then I added a comp and the pattern got better and the recoil reduction was noticeable.  

Good that yours was good out of the box.  I couldn't get a whole 9rd mag through mine without an issue until I got to about 75rds.  After that it has been loosening up and the last couple boxes have gone so fast that I should have brought more to the range so I didn't have to put the gun away before I was done having fun.

Undecided yet on the break. For now I dont want to compromise its reliability. It runs even my reloads of reduced vel. Found one of my mags misfeeds to snagging the shell on chamber mouth beside the extractor cavity. Otherwise everything is good. 

21 hours ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

I'm struggling to understand the 45 degree dot for slugs. Are all the targets at your range close for slugs? Because I know around me we routinely have targets out to about 80 yards for slugs 

My birdshot CMore is a 12 MOA dot:  Big size for fast shooting.  Too big for distant slugs on steel.

For slugs:  our area ranges (North Texas:  ETTS, & NTMG) have slugs routinely from 70 to 120 yards.  Usually a standard IPSC or an A-C IPSC.  The triangle reticle on the RMR allow very quick and precise slug shots at that range.  Holds with the CMore at that range are just not reliable with a big dot.

I really need a bigger, better charging handle.  Anyone in the industry working on one?

I know a couple guys in this thread mentioned that they preordered triggers from Tooth and Nail.  Anyone get one yet??  They were supposed to ship around June 14th but I have not seen anything yet and have not been contacted with any info about when they will ship.  I have emailed them several times now asking about an update but the sales guys have ghosted me and not responded.  Doesn't make me feel very confident about the situation.  Will try to call them today I guess.

I know a couple guys in this thread mentioned that they preordered triggers from Tooth and Nail.  Anyone get one yet??  They were supposed to ship around June 14th but I have not seen anything yet and have not been contacted with any info about when they will ship.  I have emailed them several times now asking about an update but the sales guys have ghosted me and not responded.  Doesn't make me feel very confident about the situation.  Will try to call them today I guess.
Per Josh:

Sorry for the delay. Been dealing with some health issues with my youngest son. Been meaning to send out an email to everyone who has pre-ordered with an update. So after talking with a few customers who ordered some of our other triggers we have found some slight variation in the distance between the hammer and trigger pins. This has caused a few guns to allow the hammer to miss the trigger dear upon reset. We had to cancel our EDM and redesign the geometry slightly to account for this difference. This has added some time to the process because of the change. I am supposed to have a new eta later this week. Sorry for any inconvenience. I am hoping to be back in the shop full time tomorrow and will get an email sent out to all the pre-order customers.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, VU2AKILL said:

I've got one of the first batch they made.  I've been running it for 2 weeks.  It has a very clean 4.5# break and has ignited every shell I've pulled a trigger on.  HUGE improvement over OEM.  It also comes with anti-walk pins.

59 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

Per Josh:

Sorry for the delay. Been dealing with some health issues with my youngest son. Been meaning to send out an email to everyone who has pre-ordered with an update. So after talking with a few customers who ordered some of our other triggers we have found some slight variation in the distance between the hammer and trigger pins. This has caused a few guns to allow the hammer to miss the trigger dear upon reset. We had to cancel our EDM and redesign the geometry slightly to account for this difference. This has added some time to the process because of the change. I am supposed to have a new eta later this week. Sorry for any inconvenience. I am hoping to be back in the shop full time tomorrow and will get an email sent out to all the pre-order customers.

Perfect.  Thanks for passing on the update.

Does anybody know if somebody else is also coming out with a trigger upgrade for this ? 

Does anybody know if somebody else is also coming out with a trigger upgrade for this ? 
Elftmann and CMC were supposed to be working on them

On 6/27/2019 at 6:54 AM, GSonnen said:

I really need a bigger, better charging handle.  Anyone in the industry working on one?

Just got my VR80 today and was thinking about designing and building a new handle as well.  What are you looking for in terms of improvements.  Larger diameter, longer, more grip, sweet titanium?

Also, maybe I missed this but it came with two different "light load" and "heavy load" pistons, I imagine everyone is keeping the light load one installed?

Posted (edited)

I have a brand new comp and magazine well for sale if anyone needs one:

Edited by telligentgunner

23 hours ago, jid2 said:

Just got my VR80 today and was thinking about designing and building a new handle as well.  What are you looking for in terms of improvements.  Larger diameter, longer, more grip, sweet titanium?

Also, maybe I missed this but it came with two different "light load" and "heavy load" pistons, I imagine everyone is keeping the light load one installed?

I used the "heavy load" piston for breaking in. 80+ rounds of high base 6's and about 15 rds. of 3" magnum 4's. After that switched to the "light load" one and it runs great.

On 6/27/2019 at 11:46 AM, VU2AKILL said:

I have one and love it.  Biggest improvement over stock gun so far in my opinion. 

Posted (edited)

Allen head bolt that holds the barrel is too tight cannot loosen it to disassemble the barrel and bolt. Dont want to use brute force for such small screw. Has anybody encountered same and whats been done? Thank you 😊 

Edited by BoyGlock

6 minutes ago, BoyGlock said:

Allen head bolt that holds the barrel is too tight cannot loosen it to disassemble the barrel and bolt. Dont want to use brute force for such small screw. Has anybody encountered same and whats been done? Thank you 😊 

use brute force!! i just took an allen wrench and jammed it against a table until it loosened.  they used locktite on that bolt even though there was no reason for that

2 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

use brute force!! i just took an allen wrench and jammed it against a table until it loosened.  they used locktite on that bolt even though there was no reason for that

Thank you!

1 hour ago, BoyGlock said:

If it's tight due to Loc-Tite you can use slight heat, like a mini-propane torch or maybe even a lighter, to break the seal of the Loc-Tite.  Just be careful if it's Aluminum it won't take much heat.

You can also get an Allen Head Socket and use a ratchet to get more leverage and it's easier to keep straight downward pressure on the bit so it's less likely to get cocked and round off.

If you don't do that you can also use an Adjustable Crescent Wrench on the long end of the Allen Wrench for leverage.  That way makes it harder to keep the wrench from cocking but will work.