Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RIA VR80 coming in 2019

Rudukai13

10 hours ago, PepperMD2001 said:

I’m having trouble grouping mine at 50 yards. Wondering if it’s the scope. Got an AT3 red dot on it but it’s spreading them all over the place. Ten to twelve inch groups.  May try just using the iron sights and see how that goes. Shooting Winchester slugs. Have the modified choke (which is what I plan to run it with). 

And I love that new trigger from Tooth and Nail. Vast improvement.   

So far I have tried the Xtreme slugs from Freedom Munitions (1500fps) and the Winchester Super X (1600 fps) through the stock mod choke with great results.  Both shoot 3 holes touching out to 50.  They are dead on point of aim out to about 65 yards but then start dropping out.  At least a foot low at 100 yards but still a sub 6 inch group.  I am going to get some low recoil Fiocchis and try them out when i find them for close in paper work on stages.  Every shotgun I own shoots the above slugs pretty well.  Recoil isn't terrible either.  You might want to give them a try.  Good luck

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, IntenseImage said:

Coated lead ... Haven't grouped at 100, but have shot that far in matches

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Do yours seem to hit way low at 100??  I am shooting faster slugs than you(1500-1600 fps) and mine are at least a foot low at 100 yards after being zeroed at 50.  Mine are also 1 oz and yours are 7/8 I believe so that may be the difference.  Just curious if you were holding a little high on those long shots or not.  Thanks 

Do yours seem to hit way low at 100??  I am shooting faster slugs than you(1500-1600 fps) and mine are at least a foot low at 100 yards after being zeroed at 50.  Mine are also 1 oz and yours are 7/8 I believe so that may be the difference.  Just curious if you were holding a little high on those long shots or not.  Thanks 
6-8 low @ 100

2 minutes ago, IntenseImage said:

6-8 low @ 100

That is crazy.  So the slower low recoil rounds actually fly flatter than the high velocity heavy slugs.  Interesting.  Thanks for the reply.  

That is crazy.  So the slower low recoil rounds actually fly flatter than the high velocity heavy slugs.  Interesting.  Thanks for the reply.  
It's a rough guess ....last match I believe it was an 18" circle @ 100 ... Held center and got bottom edge hit

I shoot these guys. They barely kick even though the FPS is higher than you’d typically look for. I shot a couple when I first got my vr and they stayed center out to about 70 yards. I wasn’t really trying to do anything other than run all the different loads I had sitting around so I wasn’t grouping them or anything. But these are my go to slugs for 3gun.  I’ll stretch out to 100 next time I go to the range. 

543943A6-074B-42AA-9E83-D977C1139442.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Bigsampson said:

1oz, 1600 fps.

"Barely kick"

Hmmmm.

Compare to;..

7/8 oz at 1300 fps

or 

1 oz at 1150 fps.

Can't beat physics.

Not arguing physics here. Some shells kick way more than others regardless of what the box says. If something was labeled 2500 FPS would you even bother trying it? Nope. We look for the smallest number that runs through the gun. But I’ve gone through everything that my local store stocks and I shoot loads that aren’t labeled as the lowest because they feel a whole lot better and still knock stuff down. Otherwise I’d only be shooting my 980 AA stuff all the time. Just saying that these barely kick and shoot flat. You can shoot 1150 but if you want longer flatter shots shoot a little hotter. That was the original point of the topic right?

anyone else having trouble with their 19 rounders from Armscor.  I can only get 13 in.  seems to be catching some place where the magazines are joined.  I've used a towel and can push the follower all the way down, but loadings been a problem. I have a tooth and nail 19 and 14 rounder and they've both loaded and run with no problems. 

anyone else having trouble with their 19 rounders from Armscor.  I can only get 13 in.  seems to be catching some place where the magazines are joined.  I've used a towel and can push the follower all the way down, but loadings been a problem. I have a tooth and nail 19 and 14 rounder and they've both loaded and run with no problems. 
No but they said they would replace them if they don't work. Try loosening the clamp a bit, stuff it full, then snug it back down. It's just an alignment issue

Here’s a good group that I got from Thursday morning at 100 yards. Pretty pleased with it. The bottom three are the group, supported with a rest for the hand guard.

The top shot was when I was shooting standing...one of only 5 rounds that made it on the target. 97391082-4039-4441-B790-1B7F0D5F319C.jpeg.4b3118a60ef34e26e54239afef2f6372.jpeg

5 hours ago, PepperMD2001 said:

Here’s a good group that I got from Thursday morning at 100 yards. Pretty pleased with it. The bottom three are the group, supported with a rest for the hand guard.

The top shot was when I was shooting standing...one of only 5 rounds that made it on the target. 97391082-4039-4441-B790-1B7F0D5F319C.jpeg.4b3118a60ef34e26e54239afef2f6372.jpeg

Which slugs did you end up shooting here?  Still Winchester?

9 hours ago, PepperMD2001 said:

Your set up either the gun or ammo or both is not good for standing off hand shots 🙄

On 5/18/2019 at 10:17 PM, BoyGlock said:

Your set up either the gun or ammo or both is not good for standing off hand shots 🙄

Hopefully I won’t have to make too many off hand 100 yard shots!  

With my lack of skill with the gun, I’m just hopeful that the scope now better sighted in, I’ll at least be able to hit the 50-80 yard gongs at the next match.  

19 hours ago, PepperMD2001 said:

Hopefully I won’t have to make too many off hand 100 yard shots!  

With my lack of skill with the gun, I’m just hopeful that the scope now better sighted in, I’ll at least be able to hit the 50-80 yard gongs at the next match.  

Was just kidding 😊

At 50y I would be hard up hitting that size of paper w/ SG. At 100 I wont be able to see it what more to hit it w/ certainty. 

I remember going to a Lake of the Ozarks match, several years ago, with a M2 Benelli that only had the factory, double beads on it.

I knew exactly where it shot, with slugs, out to 100 yards, but, they had an “iron maiden” target at like 175 yards. Imagine my surprise when I just held high, and hit it on the first shot!😎

19 round mags again...

cant get past the coupler. I’ve tried loading it up and loosening the coupler as others have mentioned with no success. I’ve noticed that the tabs  between the two halves that stick through the coupler are never even. One side is high and one side is low. Is this the same for everyone?  It’s like one half of the mag is twisted. Can someone  with a working 19 look at the locking tabs for me to see if yours are even? Don’t know if I should try to bend them or try to get AT to replace them...

19 round mags again...
cant get past the coupler. I’ve tried loading it up and loosening the coupler as others have mentioned with no success. I’ve noticed that the tabs  between the two halves that stick through the coupler are never even. One side is high and one side is low. Is this the same for everyone?  It’s like one half of the mag is twisted. Can someone  with a working 19 look at the locking tabs for me to see if yours are even? Don’t know if I should try to bend them or try to get AT to replace them...
Just have em swap if you have tried some troubleshooting already

2 hours ago, WWG1WGA said:

19 round mags again...

Had the very same issue and solved it by rotating the spring 180 degrees along the greatest width. 100% reliable now.

You can try exchanging the magazine if you bought it from a good dealer.  Got mine from Advanced Tactical and they never bothered returning my emails when I had issues.

53 minutes ago, Firebull said:

Had the very same issue and solved it by rotating the spring 180 degrees along the greatest width. 100% reliable now.

You can try exchanging the magazine if you bought it from a good dealer.  Got mine from Advanced Tactical and they never bothered returning my emails when I had issues.

I just emailed them tonight but will try the spring. I turned it while I had everything apart to see if it was backwards from the factory but didn’t see an issue. But maybe it’s not an obvious looking issue. Thanks

My VR80 is still struggling to cycle the 1200, but when I run 1300 the magpul carbine stock is collapsing under the recoil (very odd feeling have the receiver come into your shoulder under recoil).

Is the stock issue just a bad stock/buffer tube that has poor lock up, or is this a semi-auto shotgun phenomenon in general?  It’s doing it consistently every few rounds, not a 1 time thing.