Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shell Case Lubing for Pistols

7 hours ago, rustybayonet said:

I dry tumble my brass. I have never needed to lube straight walled cases. Any taper case, pistol or rifle, I always lube.

You may want to give it a shot rustybayonet.  It makes the cases "glide in and slide out with a lot less resistance. ;)

I’ve used oneshot and used to tumble my loaded rounds after to get off the waxy residue, lately I’ve  been using Lyman spray case lube, 

it is absolutely rubbish on rifle cases, but for pistol it’s fantastic 

it leaves the cases feeling slick without the waxy residue, and I no longer tumble after I reload

the only thing I don’t like is it takes a while for it to dry, if I’m Planning to reload tomorrow, I’ll lube the cases today 

I went from One Shot to Brass Juice and love it. The Brass Juice is alcohol based and dries fast and has a nice minty smell. Plus, it’s easier for me to get that as it is not a pressurized aerosol, through the mail. 

I use Royal Case and Die Lube. Put it on my hands and wave my hands through the brass. Then i just grab handfulls and work the brass a little as I put it into the brass hopper. Comes out clean, doesn't gum up the gun,  definitely eases the pressure on the press handle.

I wet tumble my brass, used to use pins, dry, then lube with one shot or the lanolin/alcohol mix.  I now wet tumble without pins with armor all wash and wax for 2 hours, put in dehydrater for an hour and I’m done.  Less steps, no pins to mess with, no sticky residue.  Read about it on here.

Edited by AKJD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hornady One Shot......I put a couple of handfuls of  9mm in a gallon zip lock....bounce on bench to try to get as many of the cases face up.

One Shot of   Hornady and shake bag...I lay them out on baking pan over paper towels. Let dry throughly and load ‘em up. I never found any need to reclean after loading. The brass is a little dull...but the entire process is so much smoother.

Buying One Shot by the case....great stuff.

I never used to lube pistol cases. After reading some threads I thought I’d give it a try. It’s lifechanging! I use a flat plastic storage container. Place some cases in a single layer, hit em with a couple shots of One Shot. It doesn’t take much. I’ve been loading mostly .45 brass lately. It makes a huge difference with the larger cases of the .45 vs 9mm.

I use the dillon  spray lube. Tumble for about 5 minutes to get the stickiness off. Is there a lube that doesn’t have that sticky feeling after it dries and is loaded. 
One Shot case lube was good for me ... Until I got this brass [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

37 minutes ago, Kpj313 said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned above, but the home made spray lube is a game changer, it's so easy and will last for years...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I use this method except I just use 91% alcohol from the drug store and have had good results mixing 12 to 1 on pistol brass and 223 brass as long as the brass is clean. I have cleaned after reloading for five to ten in the vibratory/tumbler and not cleaned at all after loading using this lube with the 12to1 ratio but it cleans up really well after loading with a short run thur the tumbler.

1 hour ago, Ken6PPC said:

Really, 2 years?  How much do you shoot? 

I mean a can of One Shot does go a long way, but WOW!  

Well truth be told Ive prob only shot 5k-7k this year. Last year I shot a lot more but I really don't use that much. Just a quick fog over the brass, shake the bin and another quick fog. Thats it. 

I loaded a thousand 9 major loads a few days ago without lube like usual. Was putting them in the tumbler after loading to weed out any loose primers and remembered reading this thread.

I stopped using case lube on pistol rounds a long time ago because I didn't like the extra step or know the value of tumbling after load, and really like clean shiny rounds (no residue).

Now that I'm tumbling loaded rounds for 30 minutes anyway, seemed like a good time to break out the Dillon lanolin lube. Spray 4 shots into the 1 gallon baggie and then seal & shake up 4-5 hundred pieces of brass. Then go back to loading & let dry for 20 minutes.

I loaded 5 gallons of 9 major like this yesterday on my 1050... Dang!

I totally forgot what a joy it was to load when just the weight of my arm is enough to cycle the press!

Also was able to adjust the 1050's arm length from long (more leverage & less effort) to short and fast. I noticed my OAL's were much more consistent as well.

The 'Changed my life" quote above is what kept popping into my head as I was knocking out the ammo yesterday. WOW!