Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool-less guiderod on Open 2011?

UpYoursPal

48 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

I've never had to remove the top end of my TruBor in 12 years    :) 

The only time I've "used" my spare TruBor was when I loaned it to the RO

who was having trouble with his Open gun.

So a guide rod that makes disassembly easier it to much $$, but a spare Open gun so you don't have to disassemble isn't? Just to make sure I follow the logic.

That is correct, another working gun is never too much. :) 

Seriously, I bought the second one not as a backup, but because I wanted more than one gun in that category.

Also, since the two are so darn close to each other, I often put the bulk of my practice on the backup gun, thus saving wear and tear to the match gun.  For instance, today I shot my main one 30% of the time. 

I consider it my primary gun because it is younger, and has later revision comp, and I like it maybe 3% better. 

Fox is right on the button.

A 2nd gun is Much More than a paper clip or a guide rod - when I send my match gun

off to the smith, I still have the "backup gun" … don't have to wait 2 weeks or 2 months

to get back into the game.

Plus, as I mentioned above, I've NEVER needed to take the top off my gun or use the

"backup gun".

It's still $70+ vs a paper clip (or ten).     :) 

On September 20, 2018 at 9:11 AM, Racinready300ex said:

But, when you're at the safe table with limited time and drop that paper clip in the grass suddenly it seems worth it.

This is when I pull out the backup gun ??

On 9/21/2018 at 10:52 AM, Foxbat said:

Not really trying to be argumentative, but what minor issues with top end might crop there? 

You could have a firing pin break, or need to replace the FP spring.  You could have extractor trouble, etc.  All of those are easy and quick fixes if you carry pre-fitted spares.

Hey all.  Got the guide rod and new springs in today.  The rod extends a few MM from the end of the slide (doesn't sit flush), but it doesn't mess with the relief cut on the comp so it should be okay.  I had some issues with the slide hanging up while racking it, so I did as tkheard suggested and used the original reverse plug which seems to have fixed the problem.  Hopefully it functions well at the range.

Thanks for all your help guys!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
26 minutes ago, AverageJoeShooting said:

pictures?

Is it so uncommon that i have to back it up w/ pics? 😎 Its been w/ me for several years now. I thought its common set up that the grod has nothing to do w/ the racker and so easy to have both😊 can post it later

On 9/20/2018 at 8:27 AM, Hi-Power Jack said:

Hmmmm.

Paper clip        or       $70+  ????

I'll have to think about that a while  ….     ?

On 9/20/2018 at 9:11 AM, Racinready300ex said:

But, when you're at the safe table with limited time and drop that paper clip in the grass suddenly it seems worth it.

That or set up a drive system that doesnt require gimmick parts or gimmick tools.
I run a reverse plug and Gi style guide rod in my 1911 and 2011 bull barrel guns. All these gizmos are solutions to  nonexistent problems.
My 6" drive system Eagle uses a homemade Gi style plus 1 inch rod and longer springs.  My 5 inch drive system uses a stepped reverse plug and standard length GI rod and spring
No paperclips, no doodad parts, no spring launched parts, no $70 guide rod, no take down tools, no unscrewing and launching two piece gizmos. Just a system that works, year after year after year. The way God and JMB intended.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

That or set up a drive system that doesnt require gimmick parts or gimmick tools.
I run a reverse plug and Gi style guide rod in my 1911 and 2011 bull barrel guns. All these gizmos are solutions to  nonexistent problems.
My 6" drive system Eagle uses a homemade Gi style plus 1 inch rod and longer springs.  My 5 inch drive system uses a stepped reverse plug and standard length GI rod and spring
No paperclips, no doodad parts, no spring launched parts, no $70 guide rod, no take down tools, no unscrewing and launching two piece gizmos. Just a system that works, year after year after year. The way God and JMB intended.

Since posting that I've switched to FLGR's and use the paper clips. I just keep a few paper clips in my gun case and my tool box. I like taking them down that way, once I got used to it I find it to be pretty easy. They're simple and they'll work year after year.

I don't care much what JMB intended, and most of the guns I see in matches are really different from the OG 1911. So I must not be the only one.

Ismi springs are very tight on the rod. The coils on the Wolff are touching but not tight. Sprinco progressives seem to have the largest diameter but I wonder if that is actually bad. 🤔 Sprincos are supposed to be the most accurate in terms of matching the weight it says on the package. I can’t seem to get the recoil spring tester to stay at the same reading, the weight fluctuates by around a pound, which makes me question the usefulness of the spring tester in the first place.