Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tool-less guiderod on Open 2011?

UpYoursPal

I really hate carrying around paperclips for disassembling my 2011, and have been looking into getting one of the Dawson tool-less guide rods.  However, the listings for the bull barrel version say that they're for un-compensated guns.  Is there a model that's meant for open guns?  I just want to make sure I have everything correct before I drop $70+ on something that doesn't work.

Thanks!

You can also use the original reverse plug from your open gun instead of the Dawson plug. You do have to be careful with it. Too much of a bump, and the tool-less guide rod will get released.
Don’t ask me how I know.
But, you don’t have to mess with your comp!

28 minutes ago, Racinready300ex said:

But, when you're at the safe table with limited time and drop that paper clip in the grass suddenly it seems worth it.

You can always carry 12 paper clips, all in different places, just in case ???

I super glued a rare earth magnet to the inside lid of my little tool kit I carry in my range bag.  I have about 10 pre bent paper clips stuck there.  
I have always like the idea of the dawson guide rod but the experienced me says it's just one more thing to cause issues so I don't use them.  

Why do guide rod, spring, and reverse plug need to remain as one unit when you disassemble?

(the only sorta 1911 I've been disassembling and assembling is a New Detonics. There, the double springs stay with the full length guide rod, but the reverse plug is kept as a separate part.)

Edited by perttime

2 hours ago, perttime said:

Why do guide rod, spring, and reverse plug need to remain as one unit when you disassemble?

They don't Have To, but spring under lots of pressure, and iff it goes,

it's a big time pain.   Lot easier to take a $ 0.02 paper clip in the tiny

little hole     :) 

My .45 doesn't feel like there's all that much tension when the slide is forward. When I remove or install the slide, I can easily control the spring and guide rod with one hand. Maybe it is the double spring, or something else that the New Detonics people did differently? It is a bull barrel government size .45 and there's no hole through the guide rod.

detonics_xx.jpg

Edited by perttime

In my many years of shooting open I had two malfunctions: broken Aftek extractor and dead red dot.

I am just not sure why would I need to take the spring with rod out at a match? 

I carry a backup gun, which is a near carbon copy of the main one.  So far I had to use once, but it was nice - level 3 match with 3 stages remaining.  :)

Seriously - why?

14 hours ago, niroth81 said:

Because a a few hundred dollars in spare parts is cheaper than a backup gun? The tool less guide rod is a nice piece of gear and makes it easy and quick to get the top end off for cleaning, fixing minor issues etc.

Not really trying to be argumentative, but what minor issues with top end might crop there?