Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Debating a new PCC

Debating on jumping on the PCC bandwagon. Normally run Limited and some Production. I figure the stages may not be too much difference with a PCC versus Limited. Any advice on PCC selection without being too brand biased? I do a lot of 3-gun style shooting so trying to stick to the AR style platform will definitely help. Any advice is appreciated.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm thinking that if you just want to give it a try, buy the Ruger PC9. ? If you want to spend more there are all sorts of AR9 rifles and components to buy.

ETA: I have a couple rifles using the New Frontier lower and they have been flawless. (Glock mags). JP and TACCOM barrels also good.

2 minutes ago, allamericanbp said:

Debating on jumping on the PCC bandwagon. Normally run Limited and some Production. I figure the stages may not be too much difference with a PCC versus Limited. Any advice on PCC selection without being too brand biased? I do a lot of 3-gun style shooting so trying to stick to the AR style platform will definitely help. Any advice is appreciated.

Just look through the threads here and build one. I bought a CK Arms and I’m sure it would have been fine as is but in the end I changed about half the parts out for something else. For another $500 I could have gotten everything I wanted from the start.

JP is kind of heavy, Wilson uses non standard parts I believe, etc etc. And they are way overpriced.

Stages can be run radically different with a rifle. 

My advice would be to build your own, if you are capable of doing so. You will then have the satisfaction of knowing that it was you who put it together.

If you have to buy one then my first choice would be the JP followed by the CK.

It's like anything in shooting.  You think you want to dabble, and you buy in cheap, get hooked, and realize you wasted your first purchase.   Buying a pre-built brand usually ends up with what Sarge said.   Replacing almost everything.  Start with a good lower like the QC10 and build from there.

I'm lazy and decided I'd use the same load that makes USPSA minor out of my G34, and use it in my PCC, so it is not optimum.... my competition ARs all have Rock River NM triggers,  and not necessarily the best go-fast that everyone else uses, but they have been good to me over the years... my 3 gun rifle uses an A1 stock, so that made playing with different weight buffers for the AR9 easier as there was more room to add weight to a full length rifle buffer ( I settled with an Enidine hydraulic from the multi gun rifle that doesn't get used much)

I knew that I wanted to go with a Glock format due to the factory G18 magazines, and ability to use a G17 mag for a reload....when I bought my New Frontier lower, the complete lower was the price of a QC10 stripped receiver... I knew the trigger would be replaced anyway... my first upper was an Aero Precision and unknown barrel, but when a friend got a Palmetto State complete upper, I really liked the hand guard, so ordered one... my PSA barrel is not throated for the shorter 95 grain bullets, but I believe their newer barrels are... a couple of bullets were stuck, and bulged the barrel, but it still shoots very accurately

I've tried several scopes and dots, and have settled on a Vortex SPARC II, though it does limit the peripheral somewhat... I have a pretty bad astigmatism, and see a round dot with it

I currently use an ETS long mag with a Taylor Freelance base pad... don't need a last round bolt hold open other than to show clear...I use a Miculek style comp... my set up can be duplicated for about $450 less optics, hydraulic buffer, and trigger from PSA... regards Les L747

Edited by Les Snyder

Texas is a really big state, where are you located? There are some super smart PCC guys here around Houston & College Station that would be more than happy to let you try their carbines and help out. I have 2 completely different builds that run 99.9% with Glock mags. Most of us have been shooting PCC's since before USPSA brought them in and can help with you not making all the same mistakes we did.

Here is my easy build list. Complete Taccom upper with BCG & 3-stage buffer. Any good lower, trigger of your choice. I run CMC's. Your choice of red dots, we run Vortex Venom & C-More. Can't go wrong.

gerritm

Edited by gerritm

Well, I don't know about those fellas gerritm, but I have a couple JP GMR's that run pretty well. Both of the GMR's are over 40,000 (I think it's 42k) rounds and still going strong. I did clean the suppressed one after the last thousand rounds. No function issues, it was just getting a bit of carbon on the new shooters :rolleyes: I've honestly lost track of all the various types of ammo we put through these guns since they loaned out so much. They just keep running and running. 

With the JP you can set up your 3 gun rifle identical to your PCC if you like. I started PCC to train for 3 gun and then it just kind of spiraled out of control and now I'm a PCC addict. If you're around the Houston area you're more than welcome to try the JP's. I'm always happy to have folks run them in through whatever match we are shooting or just at the after party if you prefer :cheers: 

5 hours ago, allamericanbp said:

Quiet Riot.JPG

If you want in cheap but overall decent: Ruger PC9 or PSA complete upper and PSA Glock lower (sub $600)

If you want in inexpensive but good: QC-10 upper, Kaw Valley barrel/bolt, Matrix hanguard, QC-10 lower, drop in trigger of your choice (~$950 depending on trigger/lpk choice)

If you want in top notch: JP or Leadstar

I haven't shot one, but if I were starting from scratch today, I'd go MPX or CMMG Guard. Guard checks most of your boxes but is going to have a softer recoil impulse. That said, I went from a bargain bin 9mm to an all-out build and have 0 regrets.... even if it's being finnicky. 

16" bbl + regular buffer to 16" Taccom ULW barrel + Hydro buffer = night and day difference. That said, I still won HOA at my last shoot with the bargain-bin franken-AR. $50 Matrix rail, $60 Midway barrel, etc.

I went with a JP Enterprises GMR-15.  The first one I purchased was from Shooters Connection and it did not come with the side charger.  I decided to have JP build me another upper with the side charger and fancy it up a little with a Tungsten handguard, red Thermal Dissipator, and Stainless Barrel.  I also added the new Module Curved Trigger.

30ji9zs.jpg

8 hours ago, MikieM said:

It depends on which road you travel. I'm using a Faxon Gen 2 bolt with a Faxon 7.5 ounce buffer and a JP .308 action spring. Smooth as silk and soft as a baby's bottom.

It sounds like we are traveling the same road. Smooth as silk and soft as a baby's bottom sounds a lot like what I was describing.

I did add the trigger into the mix, but I would guess yours also is not a gravel laden  6.5#mil spec POS ?

Edited by SJMPCC022
add content

I stopped by a LGS today to put my hands on a Sig MPX, thinking thats really where I wanted to go for a PCC.  They had a JP GMR-15 to fondle/compare at the same time.....made the Sig look cheap and ugly.  Of course the gun that runs 100% is the gun than  wins.......not sure how that would turn out.  But locally, I've never seen either one fail at a match.  Wilson....not so much.

10 hours ago, stick said:

Go to your next match and try some of the PCC's.  As other have stated, get what you want from the start and build your own.

+1

If you already shoot USPSA, see what the PCC guys are running, and ask to check them out.

had two production shooters ask me what my PCC setup is, at a local match yesterday.
more than happy to show them at the safe table.
If they asked earlier in the day, I would have grabbed the range master and let them test fire.

Having experimented with different combos and found one that works, here's my .02

QC10 Glock lower

Holosun 510C

any lightweight stripped upper

QC10 bolt

Rosco 14.5" bloodline barrel (very light) with pinned and welded fortis comp

Taccom 3 stage buffer

Hiperfire 24C trigger

140-145pf loads

This combo is as reliable as anything and weighs in at 6.1 lbs.  Just dial in your ammo to function correctly if you're adding extensions on to Glock big sticks.  

Edited by CalTeacher

Everybody has their own preferences. If you want to go with a prebuilt I would recommend going with the J.P. based on excellent reports of reliability, but expect it to be heavy.  I think you can get them in a 14.5 pinned which is how I’d go, and try out their new short stroke SCS while you’re at it.  

Now, as far as what I really did, I’ve built two of them using mostly taccom parts. I find this to be lightweight, beautifully balanced, and Nice swinging.  Having said that, again, everybody has their own preferences, and you would be well served to try out several different styles of gun at your local club. If you have access to both a JP and a taccom that will give you an idea as to the two most common styles.  

One warning: be very careful picking out your trigger system. Not all triggers like the PCC bolt.  

35 minutes ago, jkrispies said:

One warning: be very careful picking out your trigger system. Not all triggers like the PCC bolt.  

IMO,
it's a combination of the bolt, bolt speed, buffer setup, and the trigger system

wouldn't blame it 100% on the trigger

14 minutes ago, mmlook said:

IMO,
it's a combination of the bolt, bolt speed, buffer setup, and the trigger system

wouldn't blame it 100% on the trigger

I actually agree with you, especially now that the new short strokes are hitting the scene.   Guns are systems, and the systems have to synch.  However, I think there are a few triggers out there such as the hyper fire 24C that are pretty much reliable across the board, whereas some others are... not so much…