Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Advantages and disadvantages of 155mm mags

HowardM

I really tried to jump on that train, I like the concept, but found that it was too small to start with and too big to reload.  If I start with a big stick (I always do) I almost never need to do a second reload from the 140 I reloaded to.  I can't reload them as fast, and I tried hard, and the 140 is just easier to handle for me.  

It might also also just be me and the way my belt is arranged, but the added length of big sticks requires me to navigate my weak hand differently on the draw also taking away consistency for me.  

I like the 155s to reload yo from the big stick. 

Definately easier to load than 170s, but slightly more so than the 140s.  

There are stages where it makes sense to have 25 or 26 rounds after the reload than 22 or 23.

You don't need a bunch of them, but beimg comfortable with 1 may come in handy every now and then.

I take 6 mags with me to each mach. 2 140s, 2 155s and 2 170s. The majority of the time it's just a 170 and 155 that get used. I carry the 140 on the belt as a spare. Unless it's a quick classifier that is like 10 shots then reload. In that case I'll use the 155 and then load to a 140. 

Bought a 155 to go with my 3 140's and 2 170's.     Hardly ever use it.      I either use the 170 (31 rds) or for the big  stages I start with a 170 and reload to a 140, or 

use 2 140's.   Depends where the logical reload point is.      For short courses or classifiers with reloads, I just use the 140's.

Well I try and make it a point to start with my big stick and reload into a 140 unless shooting classifieds then use 140s like the idea of the 155 just can’t see a point when it would have come in handy but in the other hand I need a few more mags so guess it can’t hurt to add one 

Edited by HowardM

I have 3 140, 3 170 and 1 155. I like the 155 to load as some described above. Necessary, no. Have one to just have one, sure. 

I was thinking of replacing the 140's with 155's since I have big hands, but my reloads are still faster with 140's. 

Edited by echotango

Hello: Or you could add a longer base pad to your 140mm mags and get more rounds that way. A 11mm or a 7/8mm or a para base pad will do the trick. I think I get 27 rounds with my 140mm mags and the long base pad and it still fits the gauge for open. Thanks, Eric

I like to start with  the 155's for classifiers where a re-load is required followed up with a 140...  Typically there are enough rounds left in the mag that it drops from the gun faster /better.  And I hate dropping a 170 to the ground if I don't need to.....

7 hours ago, NoSteel said:

I hate dropping a 170 to the ground if I don't need to.....

I have a feeling that most people who LOVE their 155's feel uncomfortable

dropping their 170's.

As most responders here mentioned, we start with a 170 and reload with

a 140 - takes care of most situations.  Just drop the 170 and reload the 140   :) 

The 155 would be great alternative if I felt uncomfortable dropping my 170,

but I don't - I drop it all the time.

I love Aircooled's idea - but again, if I start with a 170 and reload a 140, I

have 54 rounds with a conventional two mags - usually works well ,

really no reason for a 155.

BUT, I do plan on buying one and working with it, one day.     :) 

I went with one 170 and two 155s.  With a 170 and two 140s I almost always started with the big stick.  On the rare occasions where I had to reload to a big stick, it was slower.  The 155s are more flexible.  They reload like 140s, but carry more rounds.  You don't have to cram 27 rounds in them.  Drop one of two to make reloading easier, and you still have plenty.  If I know I can get through a stage with the big stick, I use it.  If not I use the two 155s.

I found reloading to a 155 is the same for me as a 140.   I also have found, assuming due to the 13 coil spring, they always feed even if the springs are older.  Have had 170 springs bite me even when they were not due for replacement yet.   Everyone has different preferences, you don't know if you need it or will like it till you try one .

Hello: Stage design is what I use when choosing which mag to start with. I sometimes just use two 140's if there is an easy place to reload. In the end it is just what you feel makes you faster. I can reload to a 140 faster than a 155 or a 170. I know some very good shooters who just use 170's but download them a little when reloading to them. It is worth a try. Thanks, Eric

I’ve been running a 155 for a while as my reload mag (1st pouch) and I see a negligible difference in reload times compared to a 140. Only negative is the springs are super stiff for me. Been thinking about throwing a grams lot in it . 

I guess I am the strange one in the group as I rarely use my 170's. The majority of the time I start with a 155 and reload to a 140. Or start with a 140 and reload to a 140. The only time I will use a 170 is if the stage allows for more than 26 rounds of non-stop blasting. If there is a step or two of non-shooting time its easy to throw in a reload as needed.

I can usually cram 28 rounds into my 155 and its easily reloadable to that round count when I cut 1 coil off of the mag spring making it a 12 coil. There is no need to use a 13 coil spring in a 155 as all it does is consume more ammo real estate.

With all that being said, I am a die hard Limited shooter who usually lives within the bounds of 20 round 140mm magazines. That is primarily why I feel comfortable with using the 140's and 155 mags in Open verses the really long 170's.

1 hour ago, CHA-LEE said:

I can usually cram 28 rounds into my 155 and its easily reloadable to that round count when I cut 1 coil off of the mag spring making it a 12 coil. There is no need to use a 13 coil spring in a 155 as all it does is consume more ammo real estate.

I have been running a 155 with a 13 coil for a little over a year.  A month ago I cut it to 12 coils for sh!t$ and giggles and it would not run reliably.  No idea why as logically it should.  Went back to a 13 and no issues.  Will prob try it again....

46 minutes ago, echotango said:

I have been running a 155 with a 13 coil for a little over a year.  A month ago I cut it to 12 coils for sh!t$ and giggles and it would not run reliably.  No idea why as logically it should.  Went back to a 13 and no issues.  Will prob try it again....

Did you cut coils off of year old 13 coil springs? If so I wouldn't expect that to work either. You need to cut NEW 13 coil springs to 12 coils.

53 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Did you cut coils off of year old 13 coil springs? If so I wouldn't expect that to work either. You need to cut NEW 13 coil springs to 12 coils.

It was about 6mos old. I was planning on trying with a new one. Thanks

I like 155's starting out classifiers with a reload . Little heavier and drops easier.

Rarely use my 140's as I can not tell the difference in reload times.

I do keep the 140 on the belt to pony up if needed. Love it when a gamble pays off. Started a 30 round stage with 30 Rds. RO asked if I had enough. Told him "just enough". It worked...that time anyway.

I really see no downside to a 155. I have one and use it frequently, I like the flexibility it gives you. I have shot stages where the best reload spot was after just a few targets and a 140 may not be enough to finish but a 155 does it. I also like it when a stage has lots of steel at the end. You don't have to have a 155, but it is just another tool to have available.