Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Sig P320 X5 as good as it seems?

thebigbeardedchef

I've been researching which gun to go with for my first production gun for the last month or so. I've gotten the opportunity to put my hands on the Shadow II, the Q5, the Canik and the Glock 34 but the p320 never came across my radar until this weekend when I went to a shop who suggested I check it out. I have large hands and I've not felt a pistol that fit in them as well as this gun (other than the FN FiveseveN). I've read some negative things about the trigger but from everything I've read it is fixable. I'm just curious if I'm missing some key review or flaw that made it so this didn't come across my radar sooner. 

It is a great gun. I have mentioned multiple times at how amazed I am at the low recoil there is on this polymer gun.  Sig did a great job with the balance. The trigger does leave something to be desired if you have shot other competition guns, but this can be a relatively cheap fix, for much improvement. In my honest opinion I do think it is a better gun than all the others you mentioned except.... the shadow 2. It all depends on what you are wanting and your purpose of the gun. I def don't think you would regret the purchase. Good luck!

2 hours ago, bossgvr4 said:

The gun was designed specifically for competing in production class.

I would say they desgined it to be competitive in as many Divisions as they could.  If it were designed specifically for Production Division, it wouldn't come with a magwell and 21-rd magazines.  But because it does, it makes a good platform to be used in Production, 3-gun, Limited Minor, or Carry Optics, all with few or no changes.

If you are looking at it purely as a Production gun, be aware that you will have to buy additional magazines.  The 21-rd mags that come with it don't fit in the box and can't be used for Production (they are long tubes, not standard tubes with extensions).

If it fits YOUR hand, and feels good to you, buy one.

Different people like different sizes/balance.

I just got one last week, and the little bit of playing with it, seems to maybe be the most accurate plastic gun I've ever shot, but, the particular pistol I got, has the worst trigger of any 320 I've played with.

While it definitely has less felt recoil than a standard 320, or,  1,0, M&P,  I had less felt recoil with my 5", 2.0 M&P. I shot the same loads out of all guns, offhand, and off of bags.

It really is, especially with a few basic trigger mods and lowering the recoil spring weight. I own several high end CZ's, 1911's and other really nice Sigs and I have found my self shooting this gun more than any other over the last 4 months. Hands down the best plastic gun even sold IMO.

I’m a fan of the P320 X5, for sure. I have two of them in case one goes down, though I don’t think it likely to happen. All I’ve done to either of mine is switch out the OEM guide rod and recoil spring for Springer Precision Tungsten guide rods and ISMI 14# recoil springs. I’ve found the trigger to have broken in very nicely after a few thousand rounds, and haven’t changed anything from stock. The things are accurate too. I’ve taken loads that were shooting fairly mediocre out of other pistols and had good to great results out of my X5s. Great gun and a great value IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know a supplier of Production-legal basepads and/or magazines for the 320X5? 

(The 21-rounders do not fit the Production "box"...)

OP, to answer your question, I love my 320X5.  My experience is limited so far, with only about 3 live firings and 2 months of dry firing, but was able to win Carry Optics at a small local match and shot an "A" classifier on El Prez with only two 100-round practice sessions (I'm currently not higher than B in any division).  I have found it to be an easy gun to shoot, with minimal learning curve.  My initial impressions are that I love the ergonomics, as you do.  It feels like a lighter version of a 2011.  The trigger is very useable, and I like the way it "breaks" at a position (for me) which is "90 degrees" (ie, I don't have to pull my fingertip back past the "180 line" to get the gun to go off).  It should have been significantly lighter for a competition gun.  My only disappointment has been that they didn't make the mag release stick out farther, like most competition guns; it isn't much bigger than the regular 320 model.  I have managed to train around this with a lot of dry firing, but it still needs to be improved on future releases to feel like a real competition gun.  It has the best recoil recovery of any polymer gun I've shot.  It doesn't shoot as flat as my CZ, but it's pretty good and the ergonomics feel better, and I feel the trade-off is worth it at my current skill level (I prefer my first shot out of the holster not to be double-action, and the easy adaptability to Carry Optics is attractive).  

I did have to lightly dremel out the rear of the optics recess, because I use Vortex Venom optics and they are just a wee bit long to fit into the recess as it comes from the factory.  The bolts for the optics cover plate do have to be accessed from underneath the slide, requiring a field-strip.  The rear sight plate goes back into place just fine after the dremel modification, and I plan to use it for both C/O and Production...as soon as I source some Production-legal magazines. 

In short, I love the gun, and although it will never be as heavy as a CZ, the ergonomics are better for me.  I think it will develop a following.  If I continue to like it over the first few months of outdoor matches, I may buy a second one as a dryfire gun (it's potentially that good).  I think SIG has a real winner here.   

PS - as you probably already know, you will have to special-order a holster as nobody makes a standard item yet.  I got a double-layer Kydex from Red Hill Tactical, and it seems ok for my needs.

Edited by Brummy

The 320 X5 is a nice gun. I like shooting it and like the others have said, it’s has one of the softest recoil among plastic guns. It’s very light compared to my shadow 2 but it a joy yo shoot nonetheless. I used it for 2 and 3 gun comps too.

Comp-tac makes a dedicated holster for the X5. I ordered mine from them last year and it fits my needs. 

I can say without a doubt my X-Carry (which has the same overall grip profile as the X5) is unequivocally the most ergonomic pistol I've ever held. The grip shape just seems to direct my hands where they need to go and locks them in. The trigger is the best striker-fired mechanism I can remember feeling as well, though admittedly this is the first striker pistol I've ever personally owned (plenty of trigger time on other models with striker-fired actions). I'm quite pleased with my purchase

The grip is the main reason I like the gun.  I have carried M&P's in years past, because I always hated Glocks.  This thing makes me want to get an X-carry.  I got it over buying a Shadow because I knew at that point we would be switching to the M17/18 so I thought have a 320 in some form would be good to get familiar with.

Other than the grip it's the same as any other polymer gun... trigger needs work.  All the extra features like being able to switch FCU's out is pretty pointless to me.

bottom line, it's nice for the striker fired production guns, but it's not a joy to shoot or anything.

• 9 months later...
40 minutes ago, shootmove said:

I am also tempted. Nevertheless, shot a P320 (not the X5) and was not impressed. High bore axis, lots of muzzle flip. Am I missing something? I really want to like this gun but am worried that it would give me inferior split times.

Watch some videos of Yong Lee  shooting his P320s and his X5 and your concerns about inferior split times will be quieted. I've carried a  P320 for work over the last 3+ years.....completely stock and nothing special about it....we were running some drills in training last week and I was pulling splits in the .16 to .18  range at 10ish yards, dinging A zone hits with ease, and I am but a mere mortal. Seriously though, shoot one some more and put yourself on the clock with it. It kind of seems like there is more muzzle flip, but the darn things just want to come back to point of aim very quickly and easily. The X5 with a Springer guide rod, and sprung right is a very flat shooter.

6 hours ago, shootmove said:

I am also tempted. Nevertheless, shot a P320 (not the X5) and was not impressed. High bore axis, lots of muzzle flip. Am I missing something? I really want to like this gun but am worried that it would give me inferior split times.

5 hours ago, BillGarlandJr said:

Watch some videos of Yong Lee  shooting his P320s and his X5 and your concerns about inferior split times will be quieted. I've carried a  P320 for work over the last 3+ years.....completely stock and nothing special about it....we were running some drills in training last week and I was pulling splits in the .16 to .18  range at 10ish yards, dinging A zone hits with ease, and I am but a mere mortal. Seriously though, shoot one some more and put yourself on the clock with it. It kind of seems like there is more muzzle flip, but the darn things just want to come back to point of aim very quickly and easily. The X5 with a Springer guide rod, and sprung right is a very flat shooter.

I run the same splits as my limited gun and SS guns

I have had my X5 for about 2 months, 1000 rounds.

I installed grayguns comp trigger kit along with their stainless guide rod and spring.

Slapped a Romeo1 on it and love it.

I think the term "tack driver" is a little overused but this weapon is a tack driver.

Varooom

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 9:12 AM, Varooom said:

I have had my X5 for about 2 months, 1000 rounds.

I installed grayguns comp trigger kit along with their stainless guide rod and spring.

Slapped a Romeo1 on it and love it.

I think the term "tack driver" is a little overused but this weapon is a tack driver.

Varooom

Have you compared that GG trigger to an Apex at all?

I got an Apex and it made my trigger pull 5.5-6 lbs with the trigger and bar, yet when I install the factory X5 trigger shoe and leave the apex bar I get a consistent 5...neither of which should be right really (lots of polishing needed this weekend)

I love my X5 and did the same thing as you except Apex over GG.

However overall to answer the original post. The X5 is a great platform and prior to buying it was running a G34 MOS. I think they're kind of two different animals. I feel like I manage recoil on my G34 better but the X5 just feels better over all. My G34 is softer and flatter, but the X5 just feels a bit more natural. Oddly enough, I can run the X5 with irons and a 5.5 lb trigger better than my G34 with irons and a 3.5 lb trigger...maybe I just suck idk 😛

Long story short, I bought an X5 without ever shooting on prior and I love it and haven't regretted it. I just need some trigger fine tuning to get it where I want and I'll be running it most of 2019 when I'm not doing PCC. My G34 MOS is just my backup gun now.

• 2 months later...

I am considering one of these. I have shot glocks from my first day in competition so I am a little worried I will not like the grip angel. I like the extra weight and other features though.