Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is the Sig P320 X5 as good as it seems?

thebigbeardedchef

Hello: I have shot Glocks for years and 1911/2011's as well. I like the way the grip feels in my hand. It just feels right but I will have to either stipple or grit the grip so I get a better hold. I would suggest you shoot one and see how it does for you. Thanks, Eric

2 hours ago, dansedgli said:

Good gun, its a shame they make old glocks look good as far as chamber support goes. 

Sorry again for your problem

But mine have run thousands of rounds without incident.

Just finished loading another couple hundred of brass that has been loaded unknown times and the press runs very smooth with the SIG fired brass.

Gun cycles without concern and I've never seen a bulged case.

I run 125 Bayou RN at 1.150 that plunk and spin freely.

and enough recoil spring to close the action (13lbs)

At this point everyone knows you've had a problem, again I'm sorry for your misfortune.

That's a few out of untold number of guns with no problems 

I bought a sig p320 x5 and did a Gray Gun trigger job , then I got a CZ spo1 and sent it to Matthew Mink for complete overhaul. Both guns are great, the CZ is amazing except for first shot which is double action. Really torn between the two, but lately have been going with the Sig. It just seems faster and just as accurate for steel challenge matches. 

New to USPSA and this forum.  Ex LEO from Cali turner southerner 18 years ago.  I was going to use my trusty duty pistol Sig P226 for my first match but I am buying the P320x5 instead.  Looking forward to getting involved in USPSA and eventually 3 gun.  

On 4/20/2019 at 10:01 PM, jcc7x7 said:

Sorry again for your problem

But mine have run thousands of rounds without incident.

Just finished loading another couple hundred of brass that has been loaded unknown times and the press runs very smooth with the SIG fired brass.

Gun cycles without concern and I've never seen a bulged case.

I run 125 Bayou RN at 1.150 that plunk and spin freely.

and enough recoil spring to close the action (13lbs)

At this point everyone knows you've had a problem, again I'm sorry for your misfortune.

That's a few out of untold number of guns with no problems 

I bought a 2nd brand new x5. It does the same thing. 

It cant handle certain types of brass like other guns with supported chambers. 

Ill be selling both and sticking with my shadow 2. 

Even with the gray guns kits the trigger is nowhere near as nice as the SA of the cz. It is heavy in comparison and has a long reset. 

The x5 is great compared to the glocks I have owned but if I cant be confident its not going to bulge a case and spit the extractor out its no good for me. Its an easy way to lose a match.

You could avoid this by using new ammo or brass brass of course. I have been sorting by headstamp before shooting it without any recent issues but I'd rather shoot another gun and not sort by headstamp and stop worrying that Ive missed a bad case. 

I like the Q5 more than the X5. But. It’s ergonomic and that’s HIGHLY subjective.

The P320 line is the softer shooter, and only a Tanfoglio will feel better in a large set of hands than an X5. And a Tanfo means custom milling for CO along with a lot of time and money going into trigger and reliability work.

and the Walthers have short grips. Great to keep my size L hands up high. Any bigger and they’re a no-go for sure.

Edited by MemphisMechanic

Recently got a  P320-M17 and also had the opportunity to try a friends X5. Not at all a fan of the feel or bore axis of either. My M&P 2.0 isn't going anywhere. Stock trigger is terrible on the X5 for what is marketed as a competition gun.

I'm running the Springer guide rod. I used an 11# recoil spring, but switched to a 13, and shot it last night. I like the way it tracks and shoots with the 11 better, will be going back. Love my X5, won't be shooting Tanfos anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

Mine with a gray guns trigger feels as good as any striker fired gun I’ve felt. A buddy of mine dropped a gray guns trigger in his after trying mine, and on a trigger gauge his was pulling 2 lbs. I don’t know how much better you could get a striker gun. 

On ‎5‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, Shmella said:

Mine with a gray guns trigger feels as good as any striker fired gun I’ve felt. A buddy of mine dropped a gray guns trigger in his after trying mine, and on a trigger gauge his was pulling 2 lbs. I don’t know how much better you could get a striker gun. 

I have the GrayGuns competition kit in my X5 & X-Carry, its the best option out there for the P320, but its not the best striker fired trigger on the market. Both my triggers break around 2.6Lbs (Average out of 10 pulls on Lyman digital), but there's way to much creep and overtravel, but its got a great positive reset. We have a member in our club that started shooting a few months ago and just got a Canik for CO, I just put a trigger from freedomsmith and that is probably the best trigger I have ever felt in a striker fired gun. it was 2.2Lbs on the Lyman digital, had almost 0 creep and overtravel and a similar positive reset like out GG triggers. The Walther Q% Match is tough to beat as well. just my .2 though.

someone mentioned high bore axis, i had a P320 a bit too much muzzle flip, the trigger was poor, looked into grays triggers, overpriced. sold it. now there was a fellow at the range with a new sig P320 with apex trigger and it was nice, trigger was half the price of the grays trigger. still the P320 X5 is nice but sad to say on the average a Canik TP9SFX will out shoot the Sig. i now own the Canik, trigger reset is shorter and not an Apex trigger but it's ok.

chet

Hello: Not sure about having too much overtravel with a Gray Guns trigger kit. It breaks right at the trigger stop if you use the little included sleeve. I am thinking of taking the sleeve out to get a little more overtravel. Thanks, Eric

Just echoing what others have posted. Yong Lee GM shoots Carry Optics with X5 and is awesome fast and cleaning clock, watch his videos. He modded with 1911 Guide Rod with 15# spring, Grey Guns trigger.  And he said best mod of all is Thumb Assist  some of which are now legal in Carry Optics and Production.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Jeremyc_1999 said:

So is if a person was in the market to get one, would you suggest that they wait for the legion?

If you have the finances available, buy an X-5 now and start using it.

They can be found at great prices because of the changes of the slide and Legion getting ready to launch. 

Then when the Legion comes out get one of those and use the 1st one as a back up gun.

Though I haven't had any reason to need a back up so far,  just my nature not to have one of anything I use a lot!