Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red vs Green Fiber Optic front sight

thouston406

Seems to be a personal preference,  I've tried both and went back and forth. For me I can pick up the red faster in low light conditions and on bays with grass and green foliage

Edited by Luck2011

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really depends on your background & lighting.  Choose one that pops from the background.

As far as lighting, I pick up green in much lower light than red, but that may not be the same for you.  Been trying orange lately.

Red v. Green fibers may really boil down to the individual user, and their specific eyes.  Typically Red will be picked up faster for most people, and at longer distances due to the longer wave length of the light (hence why stop lights and signs are red.)   In this case it seems the idea of a fiber optic rod in the front sight is to create maximum contrast against the black sight, in addition to providing the brightest point in your field of view (your eyes will naturally track to the brightest object).  

Here is an article on the science of the eye that explains it better than I can.  

https://visual.ly/blog/the-use-of-yellow-in-data-design/

Why not get a sample pack of fiber rods in a wide range of colors (Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, Blue) and test it out in varied lighting conditions? Everyone's eyes are unique in how they process colors so what works best for one person may be totally useless for another.

There is no getting around the fact that testing each FO color in varied lighting conditions is really the only way to figure out which color works best for you.

17 minutes ago, CHA-LEE said:

Why not get a sample pack of fiber rods in a wide range of colors (Red, Green, Yellow, Orange, Blue) and test it out in varied lighting conditions? Everyone's eyes are unique in how they process colors so what works best for one person may be totally useless for another.

There is no getting around the fact that testing each FO color in varied lighting conditions is really the only way to figure out which color works best for you.

Where do you find Blue and Orange?

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer green, i’ve heard the same thing about being able to see green better and it’s definitely true for me. It just pops no matter what background there is to me. The only problem is there are not really any dot sights in green either, there is the rmr dual illuminated but thats about it... i hate red dots because its hard to for me to see them. So I don’t use them at all

Green is my preference. I find it very beneficial to put new ones in fairly frequently as the newer ones are always brighter - not sure why. Maybe the top and ends get scuffed and don't transmit light as well?

Tried both red and green; ended up sticking with green as red seemed to bloom a little.  The green seemed a little sharper to me.  I have astigmatism in both eyes so that's probably what's causing it.

I switched from red to green years ago because I shot mostly open with a red dot and I would try to shoot the red fiber optic sight like a red dot sight. It does not work very well!

I prefer green, i’ve heard the same thing about being able to see green better and it’s definitely true for me. It just pops no matter what background there is to me. The only problem is there are not really any dot sights in green either, there is the rmr dual illuminated but thats about it... i hate red dots because its hard to for me to see them. So I don’t use them at all

Just so yall know (it doesn’t exactly match the topic of this thread but since i brought it up), I just got off the phone with sig and they are in the process of developing and testing green dot sights. The guy on the phone said it would be about a year when they are released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is everyone using clear safety glasses or are people using some tint to also help with picking up the sight and target?

Or have people noticed any issues with certain lens colors and fiber optic colors?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My personal preference is Green. I just pick it up better. Might be because I have a astigmatism in both eyes. First thing I do on every fiber optic sight I install on a personal gun is change out the fiber optic rod. I wonder why Dawson and other fiber optic sights always install Red in them before they package them???

I been shooting indoor plate matches after using red for about four switched out to green and it was definitely better for me for indoor matches. Outside I pick ether color good when the sun is shining.

I've switched over to green. Better in all light conditions IMO. My brain is so used to trying to pick up red though, its had some growing pains.

Edited by dkamps

Update:  switched to orange to see if it might be a "split the difference" type of color.  It's possibly brighter than red, but other than it's not much different than red.  Again, since I'm shooting nothing but white steel plates, I'll stick with it for now, but if it were any other situation I'd definitely go with green... bearing in mind that I live in the desert, so background vegetation isn't much of an issue.  When I end up wearing this rod out or breaking it, I might lean towards going back to green anyway.

• 2 weeks later...