Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm "double" case walls

jerryz

This was explained once before but I can't find it.

I'm reloading 9mm.  I have found several cases that press real hard in my 1050,  but, I'm not sure what position they are going hard on, because by the time I realized what was going on, I was past it.

Anyway, looking inside the case it almost looks like a smaller, shorter case is inside.  It's like there is a double wall on the bottom 1/3 or so of the case.  I think the headstamp is usually FM.

What's up with that?  I load both 9Major and 9Minor. Are these OK/safe for either?

Thanks

They hang in my 1050 on the primer swage station. I do my best to sort brass but it's impossible to find them all. So when I feel heavy resistance I know I've got one in the swage station. I just hope that they all feel that way or else some will slip through. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Ugh.  Back to these stupid stepped wall brass.  Yes, yes, I understand to toss it, but the reality is I can sort and sort my brass but several will slip through (along with the 380 and 38 Super, etc).  I just can't weed them all out.

Question 1:  They seem to hang up on the primer swage station on my 1050.  At the least, when my press doesn't feel right, most of the time it's one of these stupid things in that station.  Do you think I can count on that resistance on the swage station to weed out 100% of the double wall cases?

Question 2: If one or several of these things slip through undetected, how awful is it to load it to 9Major specs?  Like, are we talking heavy recoil or KB?

Thanks

The best way I have found to sort the various cases out is to use two of the 40 S&W plastic liners from factory ammo boxes.  Fill one - cases may be up or down, doesn't matter -  look first at ones with open end up for the stepped brass - next hold the two boxes together and dump the brass from the first to the second.  Now look again for the stepped brass - hold up and look across the cases and you will be able to pick out all the different lengths from the 9mms.  If you should happen to use only one case brand you can pick them out during steps one and two.

Jerryz, I'm not sure if you are also aware that FM is brass coating STEEL cases. It looks like brass and feels like brass but underneath it's steel. 

Part of my brass prep process is to dump all the brass out on a towel and go over it with a big magnet. Almost every batch has at least one that sticks to the magnet. 

17 hours ago, jerryz said:

Ugh.  Back to these stupid stepped wall brass.  Yes, yes, I understand to toss it, but the reality is I can sort and sort my brass but several will slip through (along with the 380 and 38 Super, etc).  I just can't weed them all out.

Question 1:  They seem to hang up on the primer swage station on my 1050.  At the least, when my press doesn't feel right, most of the time it's one of these stupid things in that station.  Do you think I can count on that resistance on the swage station to weed out 100% of the double wall cases?

Question 2: If one or several of these things slip through undetected, how awful is it to load it to 9Major specs?  Like, are we talking heavy recoil or KB?

Thanks

Without meaning to be snarky, what do you mean you sort brass but two part casings, 380, and 38 super slip through? You sort by head stamp meaning you toss those known to be two part and you look at the caliber. Anything less is not sorting. Guessing might be a better term.

I've been well aware of these, but what's the actual reason why this is done? Is it to prevent setback or something? Just seems like this would make a case more expensive to manufacture with the extra material.

Just curious is all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, jschweg said:

I've been well aware of these, but what's the actual reason why this is done? Is it to prevent setback or something? Just seems like this would make a case more expensive to manufacture with the extra material.

Just curious is all.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have heard everything from preventing setback, to cheaper to make. Pure garbage though.

23 hours ago, stick said:

toss them or you will end up with one of these in your barrel.  head stamps are FM and IMI

case malfunction (2).jpg

Witnessed this happen to a PCC shooter while ROing a stage.  Ruined his day.  +1 on tossing them !

Nasty things,  Book load values are not good because the volume is reduced and you couldn't use a bullet longer than what they loaded, whatever that was. Plus the jacket can separate in your chamber, leaving you with a dead gun, and a PITA to get out that sleeve.

Originally to prevent bullet setback, but not cheaper to make. Course you have to wonder why these upstart companies don't do like the 100 year old plus makers, WW and FC, and use a cannellure.

Edited by 9x45

Good info on the magnet and an idea on sorting.

Brooke, no snarkyness here either.  I think there's some room between what may be your definition of sorting brass and guessing.  Reality is, my chances of sorting the brass with 100% accuracy 100% of the time are 100% unlikely (just like everything in my life), so I need a plan "B."  Plus, it's a matter of practicality.  When a .380 case slips through it won't trip the bullet feeder, I pull it off the line, dump the powder back in the hopper and toss it.  It costs me 15 seconds of production and a primer.  It may happen 2 or 3 times per 1000.  It would not make sense to spend 10 more minutes sorting to save myself 45 seconds of production.  That's just bad stage breakdown.

My first objective was to assess the potential problem. Is it an annoyance or a catastrophe?  I'll put more effort into the latter.  Second, I was hoping to take advantage of the wealth of experience in this group to find the fastest, easiest way, to spot  and avoid, or work around the problem. 

I'll continue my quest for an expeditious way to eliminate these from my collection and report back if I have any breakthroughs. 

Conditionone:  OMG!  That's what I was looking for.  I just never thought to do it that way.  I had always either picked up each case to examine or tried to put 9mm in a 9mm box, again, one at a time.  It was painfully tedious and took forever.  In an effort to do it faster, I basically ended up just doing a bad job and all sorts of stuff slipped though.  You've opened my eyes, thank you.