Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recomendations on electronic muffs

champ198

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not impressed with the Peltor Tac 100 or the HL Impact sports.

Peltors shallow cups - ears pressed into foam; noise cancelling is compression distorts everything not just the loud sound; slow to recover; triggered by any sharp noise - bump a table, close a door, change a mag... very distracting; beep very loud before shut-down; lot of tension in the headband. On the plus side the headband has a lot of adjustment and the seals are soft.

HLs hard seals; limited headband adjustment. Plus side very good sound amplification and management - they simply don't amplify loud sound, pretty seamless.

I've had to warranty a pair of each which is one out of two and one out of three, pretty sorry. Both have pretty low NRRs, I generally double up for anything more than a few rounds through a pistol, if I don't I certainly realize the error of my ways later.

Would like to try some Walker Razors since they're in the same price range.

MSA Sordins. Just forget how expensive they are. The gel cups allow you to wear them comfortably all day in any weather. Howard Leights are alright and they will protect your hearing. I noticed a huge difference after 2, 3 and 4 hours of wearing each muff. The Sordins stay on my head all day instead of constantly moving other muffs to keep them relatively comfortable. 

I've been using a pair of Howard Leights for about a year and a half and have never even changed the batteries. They work great but as others have said are a little uncomfortable after long periods of use. I'm in the market for some new ones, thinking the Sordins may get the nod. 

Peltor tactical sport with gel cups or MSA sordins with gel cups. I actually like the peltors a little better I think but both are excellent.

The HL's are cheap in price and cheap in quality. thin and poorly shaped cups. noticably less effective than the peltors or MSA's despite being rated about the same. I can't think of a single positive about the HL's impacts except the cheap price. junk in my opinion. I gave mine away. 

whether you get peltors or MSA's the optional gel cups are a must have. they enhance the NRR and massively enhance comfort. 

Do  not buy the regular Pro Ears.  They work great but they don't power off automatically, the switches get bumped to on, and the batteries are expensive.  They could easily fix it with no additional cost by using a switch that pulls to turn on.