Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40S&w vs 9mm limited

Broncos79

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally speaking, at the top tier 9mm (minor) is a large handicap. It is slightly offset with increased capacity over 40, but IMO it doesn't offset the scoring advantage. It may or may not affect you as much depending on you skill level.

9mm IMO is the better caliber for limited if you are just getting started.

Pros:

1.23 or 24+1 loaded starts in a 140mm mag.

2.Easy to shoot due to low recoil.

3.Easier to shoot fast accurately.

4.Cheaper to load

5.More bullet weight options (grains)

80, 85, 90, 95, 100, 115, 124, 135, 147, 158, 165

Cons:

1.Minor power factor

2.Makes you concentrate on aiming more so you shoot slower somewhat.(which is actually a good thing when you eventually move to a .40)

.40 S&W Pros:

1.Major power factor

2.140mm mags hold 20+1 easily or 21+1 in some cases.

3.Still have a decent range of bullet weights to choose from.

125, 135, 155, 165, 180, 200, 220

4.You can push harder, so you may only drop 1 point per hit if you are running off the rails so to speak (C zone hits).

Cons:

1.Harsher recoil

2.Not as easy to shoot fast accurately

3.Requires more grip strength to control recoil.

4.Down 3 or 4 rounds to the guy shooting a 9 which may make a difference time wise (no reload,etc...)depending on stage setup.

5.Harder on gun parts depending on manufacturer.

Edited by MrPostman

.40 S&W allows you to shoot major or minor. 9 mm is scored a minor only. For major, scoring is 5, 4, 4 and 2 points for A, B, C and D zones, respectively. Minor also earns 5 points for the A zone, but only 3, 3, and 1 for zones B, C and D, respectively. Hit Factor, points per second, is what it boils down to at a match. Based on this scoring structure, you can see how folks shooting major have an advantage over folks shooting minor, unless of course both shooters make all A zone hits. It gets a tad more complicated, for me anyway, as Hit Factor, points per second, is what is important. I'll leave it at this and those with more experience can expand on it.

As others mentioned, 9 mm hold more rounds, but I don't think it makes up for the scoring deficit. .40 gives you the best of both worlds if you can hang onto the gun. Some folks have require low recoil, either due to age or medical issues.

9 mm is a little cheaper to buy and/or reload, so money could be an issue for some too. At present, this is all that comes to mind. Good luck!

Another aspect to consider. Are you going out to matches to win? Or are you out there to have fun and learn and just shoot some? The competitive "advantage" of major .40 over 9mm may not be worth the added money and time cost if the end goal isn't to outright win. Plus who says you can't try one caliber out and switch to the other if it doesn't fit your style.

Edited by js1130146

Shoot 40 unless you are just starting and only have a 9, but if you are buying a gun for limited, buy a 40. If you are planning to shoot USPSA a lot then reloading will probably be on the horizon, if you don't do It already, so the difference in cost will be a moot point. And the points difference will be huge when you are starting out because you will probably shoot plenty of Cs and Ds. Hell I still do:-) Good luck and have fun.

PS if you use a 9 you will be one of those guys who are always saying, "i would have beaten you if I was scored major" and those guys are annoying.

I'm gonna have to go with 40 especially if you are buying a gun. You can load 40 down to make it totally manageable if that's what your looking for but if you go with 9 you will soon wish you had the option to shoot major.

As others mentioned, 9 mm hold more rounds, but I don't think it makes up for the scoring deficit. .40 gives you the best of both worlds if you can hang onto the gun. Some folks have require low recoil, either due to age or medical issues.

Having done both, I really don't think recoil is an issue with a .40S&W (I reload to 168PF) and I am not even that strong, been working with CoC grip strengtheners and as a lefty can barely do a couple of reps on 1.5 with left hand and 1 with the right (support) hand. I am 59.

I shoot my .40 better than my 9mm, but that could also due to weight of a polymer (VP9) striker fire vs CZ Tactical support with a 30 oz SA trigger.

Having done both, I really don't think recoil is an issue with a .40S&W (I reload to 168PF) and I am not even that strong, been working with CoC grip strengtheners and as a lefty can barely do a couple of reps on 1.5 with left hand and 1 with the right (support) hand. I am 59.

I shoot my .40 better than my 9mm, but that could also due to weight of a polymer (VP9) striker fire vs CZ Tactical support with a 30 oz SA trigger.

How much time do you usually work on your grip on a daily basis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are new to USPSA and already own a pistol suitable for Limited, use that. After a couple of matches you will get a feel for what would be better suited. After a season you would be sure.

At a recent match, a friend shooting a CZ 9mm using factory ammo won Limited and beat everyone except the top two Open shooters. He is young, fast and very accurate. He doesn't want to reload. Given that and his skill level there is zero reason for him to switch to 40. I am neither as fast or as accurate. I average between 90% and 92+% of all the points available for the match. I went back and recalculated my scores as though they were Minor and found I would have dropped a place or two.

If you are going to buy a new gun specifically to shoot Limited, buy a 40sw. I shot my CZ 75 Tactical Sport in 40 for Limited and other competitions. I can tell you for a fact that you can accurately and reliably shoot both major and minor PFs in 40. I chose 138 and 172. I could, and did go lower, but stuck with 138 for minor just because I could use the same 13lb recoil spring for both. Both loads have the same POI. Using the 138, double taps are a tad quicker and the recoil softer.

My mags hold 20 reloadable, but you have to slam them in to seat. I don't like that, so I only load 19. I do have one mag that is 20 reloadable. I have never run a mag dry, but on one stage I did drop a mag with only one round still in it. As has been said before, there is almost always a good place to reload.

^^^^ This. If you already have a pistol use it. If you have neither get a .40 which will give you the option of major or minor scoring. Personally I think there are few things more fun than shooting Limited minor. I usually finnish about 3 points lower shooting minor but by Wednesday I don't remember where I finished in the results but do remember how much fun I had. :-)

I've shot local matches twice. One major, one minor. Times vary for me. Sometimes I actually shoot major faster, probably because I am not worried as much about shooting alphas. It varies though.

I have never seen anyone, myself included that shoots major slower. Generally people who are trying to win shoot minor a touch slower (in my experience) as they have to get As to be competitive. If your average A/B class shooter shooter shoots the same stage with minor then major, times will be very close but major will almost always pick more points. If you don't believe me try it yourself, shoot the same stage 4 times with minor and 4 times with major and see which one averages out the best.

I have shot both. Honestly I prefer the 9 but my accuracy has to spot on for me to be competitive.

Less recoil produces a faster split and transition for me. I usually do not shoot a lot of extra shots during a COF.

The thing I like about 9 is that I focus more on accuracy and tend to be less sloppy. But that is a mental thing and not to say I should do the same when shooting a 40.

Also a lot less money. I can use factory 9 whereas my 40 requires handloads.

Been there as well, tried 9 minor halfway thru the season and did damn good, placed top 20 in a field of 60-80 consistently, then came winter break and starting the season, placed waaay down the list. I'm completely sold on 40major, tho I'd like to try 40 minor just for fun once. Btw, I'm top 5 but the experience and practice has helped a lot with that.

• 3 months later...