Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Throwing magazine

EEH

I think the situation calls for mockery and ridicule. Saw the local hothead throw his Beretta shotty in the trash can one day, everyone just laughed at him.

I agree with this. I think bret's daughter should participate as well. It's a teachable moment. 2 birds with one stone, everyone happy.

People get upset sometimes because they are very serious about the sport, so when something goes wrong it can be frustrating. I wouldn't want to shoot with someone who throws stuff and yells all the time, but if it happens once or twice, i'm going to just stick with friendly mockery and encouragement.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the situation calls for mockery and ridicule. Saw the local hothead throw his Beretta shotty in the trash can one day, everyone just laughed at him.

Seems like a good opportunity for a free shotgun.

At a steel match a single stack shooter had a jamb on consecutive stages. After his run he went behind a building and apparently used a rock to pound the offending mag into scrap. Seemed extreme for a mag with a wide lip, but.... afterwards he shot much better. Guessing he blew off steam, reset his mind and got back in the game all for about $20.

Edited by johnbu

Had a guy do that at a Level 2 Match. I pulled him aside and warned him he "could" be DQ'd. He claimed he couldn't (either he had done it before or was planning on doing it) as he had been told at another match it was ok.

I told him next time it "will" be a DQ and he can front the $100 to prove it wasn't.

Hot Heads and A**((oles aren't to be encouraged to act this way with dangerous weapons.

I watched him like a hawk the rest of the match and he did keep himself under control.

One might suspect we won't be seeing many 2011 shooters doing that...

Perhaps just throwing the rock? (In a safe direction, of course, and under the supervision of an RO.)

If I drop the rock do I have to have an RO pick it up to avoid being DQ'd?

Perhaps just throwing the rock? (In a safe direction, of course, and under the supervision of an RO.)

Silly rabbit...of course you do. Duh!

I once flung my earpro across the back of a stage at a state match 4 or 5 years ago when I zeroed my last stage after my pistol ripped the rim off a back of the 5th round, making extracting impossible. I was having a great match and I was winning my class (lol at class wins now :roflol:) Did I do it to be a poor sport, no. I was just highly frustrated. Give the guy a few minutes to breath some of us are just wired that way.

I agree with bret in that cursing and carrying on like a bad sport should not be acceptable, especially when children are around. Considering how hard it is to attract new folks to our sport, I think we should always be minding our manners. I got upset one time on a stage and said a more subtle curse word, but it was cursing nonetheless and very loud. Although it was a couple of years ago, I still feel bad about it to this day. I know we had a couple of spectators and possibly one new shooter in our squad. I can imagine what an impression I made on them.

That was YOU!?

And if the Rock is too big for the division you face a bump to open or shoot for no score! lol

And if the Rock is too big for the division you face a bump to open or THROW for no score! lol
FIFY...

And if the Rock is too big for the division you face a bump to open or THROW for no score! lol
FIFY...
Much better!

Had a guy do that at a Level 2 Match. I pulled him aside and warned him he "could" be DQ'd. He claimed he couldn't (either he had done it before or was planning on doing it) as he had been told at another match it was ok.

I told him next time it "will" be a DQ and he can front the $100 to prove it wasn't.

Hot Heads and A**((oles aren't to be encouraged to act this way with dangerous weapons.

I watched him like a hawk the rest of the match and he did keep himself under control.

A DQ under 10.6? That seems a little extreme for throwing a mag. I don't know that a temper tantrum rises to the level of "any behavior likely to bring the sport into disrepute."

If it's a DQ offense then DQ him. If you're an RO, it's your duty. I'm pretty sure letting someone slide with a warning when it should be a DQ is a pretty serious violation. If it's not a DQ offense, then leave it alone and let him sort out his problems. Hopefully he brought enough mags to handle his frustration that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If one Dq's , one had best be able to point at a specific rule justifying it. Unsportsmanlike like conduct is the last and weakest reason, when one needs to get one off the range and nothing else works.

I once flung my earpro across the back of a stage at a state match 4 or 5 years ago when I zeroed my last stage after my pistol ripped the rim off a back of the 5th round, making extracting impossible. I was having a great match and I was winning my class (lol at class wins now :roflol:) Did I do it to be a poor sport, no. I was just highly frustrated. Give the guy a few minutes to breath some of us are just wired that way.

Seriously, a momentary display of emotion is anything but unsportsmanlike. It's being human, granted we don't all express ourselves the same way and that's perfectly fine.

As long as it doesn't turn into a "Tanner" ( ref: Bad News Bears) type conniption fit. Who cares, are we going to throw out everybody that claps their hands, says a curse word, kicks dirt, or any other displays of frustration because they screwed up? It is a competitive sport, people are going to be competitive. Every now and again we are going to avoidably flub it. Those avoidable mistakes are annoying, and on the same level as stubbing a toe or hitting your thumb with a hammer. Inevitably it leads to a display of frustration. Now most people are not Ned Flanders and that being said have lost our WWJD bracelets years ago, our public display may warrant the "first name only" rebuke from our mothers, but that's it.

If you have issue with someone's reaction, be a man and politely say something to the person on the side, don't circumvent your manhood behind a rule book.

Now, If it is the fore mentioned conniption fit and in itself becomes a complete distraction to the match, all bets are off, happily throw the book at them. That has no place in the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Rangerdug

And if the Rock is too big for the division you face a bump to open or shoot for no score! lol

If my math is right, you only have to throw a rock that weighs about the same as a baseball 52 miles per hour to make major power factor.

If my math is right, you only have to throw a rock that weighs about the same as a baseball 52 miles per hour to make major power factor.

I guess I'm shooting MINOR

Is there a limit on how many rocks I can have in my pockets or how many pockets I can have?

If your pocket is in front of your hip bone, and you use a rock from that pocket, you get bumped to open......

The rock idea got me thinking....

Usain Bolt weighs 1 450 642 grains and travels at 40,245 feet per second, giving him a power factor of 58 642. I guess he makes major with a bit of a margin for chrono variations

In fact, i bet my 87 year old grandmother can make major. Doesn't seem so impressive now

Sent by Jedi mind control

The rock idea got me thinking....

Usain Bolt weighs 1 450 642 grains and travels at 40,245 feet per second, giving him a power factor of 58 642. I guess he makes major with a bit of a margin for chrono variations

In fact, i bet my 87 year old grandmother can make major. Doesn't seem so impressive now

Ah, but can she punch a clean hole through cardboard? :ph34r: