Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Pouches for Limited

I'm running a custom kydex holster and mag pouches on the Safariland ELS system for my Production rig. I'd like to get set up for Limited as well. I think most Limited shooters are using either DAA, CR, or Ghost pouches - I'd need confirmation on that though. I don't think I can run the "racer" style mag pouches on the ELS belt b/c the belt's height (1.75"). Therefore, I'm posed with getting a new belt and attaching the racer style mag pouches, ordering another set of custom kydex pouches, or perhaps running with the 771 or 773 from Safariland.

What do you guys think I should do - what works the best in this division?

Thanks for your input,

MM

Edited by MissionaryMike

hahaha well In that case, that's what I vote for! To actually answer your question, I think most people use the race pouches in Limited and open because it gives you the angle adjustment, which is critical if you are running the mags at your belly button like lots of us do. I use 3 race style pouches set up between 12:00 and 11:00. That works well for me.

But I am absolutely sure that using a vertical mag pouch at your hip bone such as what a production shooter might use wouldn't cost you.

I use kydex from red eye tactical, i dont find having my mags in all different ways makes me any faster, (although id like to try puttin an angle on my first mag) and ive never had any mags jump out when running but still come out smoothly (can hit 1 second reloads in dry fire decently consistently). id have some made bullet out if i shot production bc theyd all be behind my back almost but in limited i just run them bullets forward

I love the DAA racers and race master pouches over all others I've tried (safari, ghost, cr speed etc) but I'd suggest it doesn't matter too much.

If you appreciate quality gear and spending say $200 isn't a big deal then I say get a new 1.5inch belt (daa or cr speed deluxe) and get 3 race master pouches and order 1 of them with the pre-fitted magnet attachment.

To me that's the hot ticket. But as I said if some kydex or other pouches will securely hold your mags and release them smoothly enough then it's really not a big deal.

I'm a gear wanker though so I can appreciate the small details and enjoy having the nice stuff. I will say I've not seen anyone disappointed after buying either racers or race master pouches. I currently have rigs with both and like them both. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just picked up a set of CR Speed Versa's. So far I really like them for dry firing, haven't run a match yet with them.

I will say that my original setup with a Comp-Tac dual up mag pouch didn't seem to hinder my time.

Started with Ghost holders and switched to CR Speed. Now I have the CR as my Limited/Open set up with one Magnet in front. I still use the Ghost set up for Production, and have a CR set up for Single stack.