Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you leave your press "Loaded"

louu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VV powders can stay in there a long time and not discolor the measure. That said I have "smoked" measures from other powders and can still see the level. I have some measures that have only been empty of powder while changing from one to another.

If I'm going to continue loading the next day, loaded. Otherwise everything is taken out, though I generally run the primers out by loading rounds. I was brought up to believe that powder should not be left exposed as it is hygroscopic (sucks up moisture from the air) and will deteriorate after time. How much time was never established, and whether it still applies to current powders I don't know - but this link seems to state it does:http://www.somchemreload.com/news

I leave mine loaded and just set it at the down stroke so the shell plate is up. I have 2 650s and they both currently stay in the same configuration all the time so I just leave them as is and when I want to crank out some ammo I walk out to the garage and start pulling the handle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by shooterDrew

I use my grandfathers and since its at his house I always put everything away. I leave powder sometimes but put a couple desiccant packets in w it.

I plan to get my own setup at home and leave it ready always. That way instead of putting in a few hours at once I can do 30-60minutes once or twice a week

Red

Usually I clear the whole press of components, except for those last few primers in the disk of my 650. If I am very sure I'll be continuing the next day, I'll leave everything except brass.

I never leave anything 'in progress' on the shellplate for more than 30 minutes of downtime to avoid any possibility of a mixup. (If it can happen, I'll find a way...)

Futuristic

I load 2 variations of 9mm and have different heads for both. Since I load just about every day, I leave everything loaded except primers and those are left at the point where the alarm goes off. I load up the next time I load. I use primers to keep track of how many I load at a time. When I switch heads, I dump the powder back into the jug because I use different powder for 9 major than I do for 9 minor.

Loaded for months especially every winter. You guys really empty every time? They got meds for that now.

Local guy was a pretty avid IPSC shooter in 80/90's. Job took him out of country or something and he had become disenchanted with Raceguns, etc.so he left the sport, so fast forward ten years. He loaded up what sat in the press for a decade and now shoots IDPA somewhere. Said everything went bang fine and it was probably some weird powder like Bluedot or SuperLite, Lead bullets and WIn primers

I leave mine loaded 100% of the time. many times I only have a few minutes to spare, so I'll sit down with a beer and crank out 50 rounds while I'm waiting for my wife to do her makeup before we go out. Being able to grab 5-15 minutes any time with no setup or preparation is the only way I can reasonably stay on top of it without getting annoyed.