Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you leave your press "Loaded"

louu

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kids. Unloaded.

Same here. They know better than to mess with it, but its not worth the potential issues. I do leave the dies in, cases in the feeder, only takes a minute to drop 100 primers in, and fill the drop full of powder.

The only thing I try to do is get the level of the powder down low enough so its not touching the plastic cylinder. That way the plastic doesn't get discolored.

That's interesting.....how long are you comfortable leaving powder in there?

G

I once had some Alcan powder react with the plastic so much that you could see where each flake was touching the tube. It was in Charleston SC with 99% humidity and it really affected that powder.

I've been breaking it down lately, since I have to reset all my dies (had to derust them) - once I have the last set of dies reset, it's going to stay live and ready for action - no kids, no worries ;)

Edited by pcgunner

The only thing I try to do is get the level of the powder down low enough so its not touching the plastic cylinder. That way the plastic doesn't get discolored.

I actually tried this last week because I thought it was a good idea. I only did it overnight. I still am not comfortable leaving powder in so the next day, I emptied it after loading a few hundred rounds!

Mostly loaded...I tend to stop when I run out of something in the press - On the 550 it was primers. Same on the 1050 or cases. The 650 is with the new priming system is a different beast. It's staying "loaded" - although I like to shut off the case feeder and get the shell plate empty - but that dumps a few primers down the ski ramp... ;)

My 550 stayed set up for most of a decade with no use - loaded up primers and started pulling the handle - no issues. But I'm in dry, warm country. :D

Edited by Chutist

Loaded - most of the time. Most of the time I am using a double based pistol powder. (Tightgroup)

For single based powders, which are hygroscopic, I do empty the powder and put away in a cool dry place. (IMR 4895)

Shell plate clear, otherwise fully loaded. Like motosapiens I knock out 50-rds when I can, and spin up time would cut that in half. No cats, kids, or open flames in my house, so risk is minimal.