Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What distance does everyone sight in the gun for?

kevinm

I go with 25 yds. Then I also make sure to know how my pistol shoots up close at say 5 or 7 yards and further out at 35 yds. That way I'm covered on any stages where there's an up close shot on a head shot target and the occasional long shot.

15-18 yards, because hoppy says so. That seems to make it shoot exactly right at all shorter distances too. Dunno about 25 yard targets. I can't see that far.

agree, 15 yds freestyle for me partly because I can hold much steadier at 15 than 25, also this sight-in seems to work for any distance from 5 ft to 45 yards.

(sight in from bench first, then confirm freestyle and make final adjustments)

Eric

For a dot, or a 45ACP 1911, I'm fine with 14 or 25. If 14, I'm less than an inch high at 25 and back on at 50. If I sight in at 25, I'm low at 14 and 50. My Limited pistol is sighted in for 25. It prints just a tiny bit low at 14, so I don't worry about it. On a TS the sights are very close to the bore.

Depends on whether it's iron or optical sights -

My dot is sighted for 35 yards, since I shoot some MultiGun with it,

but that is off by only a few inches from 10 - 50 yards.

But, it's necessary to check 5 - 40 yards, or you'll be surprised at

a match, one day. :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi-Power Jack gives good advice...

You can zero at whatever distance you desire but, to me, it's more important to know exactly where my bullets will hit at the distances the targets are located. Multiple bullet/load combinations may hit in the same general area at 15 yds but different bullet/load combinations may have a huge dispersion at longer ranges. I tend to stay with one bullet/load combination when I'm shooting major matches so I know where my bullets should impact, if I do my part.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this will be an interesting question regarding PCC because of the extended height over bore compared to a pistol. Regarding close quarters work with an AR type rifle, I have always used a 25yd zero and then have used holdovers for closer distances but it will be interesting to see how guys crack this nut with 9mm (most likely) and distances that are only going to go past 25yds VERY rarely. My assumption would be that they would likely split the difference at about 60/40 (15yds as stated above) and then have to have a real good vetting of where their holdovers/holdunders are expecially when it comes to close headshot only targets (for example: CM 13-06 Too close for comfort) where I wouldn't be surprised if people had to aim completely off of the top of the target to get 'A' hits on the head at 5 yards.