Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I don't think it is for me....

BigBamBoo

Some of you may have read some of my other post about how I bought a S&W 929 and had it slicked up. After about 1200 rounds I am coming to the conclusion that it revo may not be for me. I know, I know....your saying give it more time. But going from limited where I normally come place in the top of the pack to being pretty much at the bottom of the pack has messed with my mojo.

I am not finding it fun. It is very frustrating to me and I find myself not wanting to shoot. Where I normally am excited and look forward to matches.

So I think I will sell the 929 and go back to what I know. I will look at it as learning experience and move on.

If it's not fun, you're probably doing the right thing. I really enjoy shooting revolver and it obviously doesn't bother me to be at the bottom of the pack, after all, if it weren't for us at the bottom, there would be no top :)

Some of you may have read some of my other post about how I bought a S&W 929 and had it slicked up. After about 1200 rounds I am coming to the conclusion that it revo may not be for me. I know, I know....your saying give it more time. But going from limited where I normally come place in the top of the pack to being pretty much at the bottom of the pack has messed with my mojo.

I am not finding it fun. It is very frustrating to me and I find myself not wanting to shoot. Where I normally am excited and look forward to matches.

So I think I will sell the 929 and go back to what I know. I will look at it as learning experience and move on.

I've said it many times before when questioned about shooting revolvers. " you have to check your ego at the door" It is tough seeing your name towards the bottom and even as you get better and move up the overall list it still stings getting beat by someone you could easily beat shooting your autoloader. But once you get past the "ego thing" it turns into a fun and unique challenge. You can get some satisfaction knowing you are doing something that others can't do or are not willing to put the effort into.

Every Revolver shooter hits this wall and many quit and say "it's not for me". IMO if you work your way through the wall what is on the other side of it is worth it.

I believe that is one of the reasons that Revolver division is so small. I know several shooters that have hit this wall and quit and never really gave it the chance that it deserves.

There really is a reason that those of us that are dedicated Revo shooters enjoy it so much. Fun, Fun, Fun.

Hope you hang around.

Revo isn't for everyone. It does require superior skill to that of a semi-auto... and you have to leave your ego at the door when you start.

Some people can do that, and some can't.

On the plus side is that incredibly warm glow ... when you get it right.... that comes with beating a bunch of bottom feeders. You'll never be at the top of the Leader Board with a revo. But if you accept revo for what it is... you can have a lot of fun.

It'll also do GREAT THINGS for your trigger control and match planning when you shift to a semi-auto.

I tried the revo thing. didn't have the patience to put in the time it took, lol. Loading special primes a certain way, practicing reloads etc. I might give it a shot again one day with some of the new guns out there (I shot a 625 when I tried it). But yea, it wasn't for me either. I like going fast with my high capacity bottom feeders.

I hate to hear that you have not enjoyed yourself shooting revolver. Preferences are one of the reasons for the various divisions in shooting sports. If you are not looking forward to shooting like you used to, then it sounds like revolver division is not for you. If you are not enjoying yourself, then you might not be doing what is best for you.

I would suggest that you hold onto the 929 for a few months before selling it, unless you really dislike having it around period.

The fact that you gave revolver division a shot to begin with shows that you are more adventuresome than many shooting sports competitors out there.

Edited by Blueridge

I shoot my revolver and finish from the middle to the top half and I am the only revolver shooter. When someone gives me a hard time I break out my open or limited and finish at the top and then explain to them I can beat them at anytime but I choose to shoot revolver because it is fun and I love the challenge. If I just want to be at the top I would just pull out one of the others. I think it proves equipment can buy you places at your local matches. Shoot revolver and enjoy for yourself after all when you do start beating some of the bottom feeders the feeling is great.

Thanks folks. Part of it is ego, but most of it is that it just is not fun for me. Just seems like I am under a lot of pressure and that takes the fun out of it. And why shoot if it ain't fun?

I have responded and sent PM's and email to those who have asked or contacted me about the 929.

Try this, shoot locally with your limited gun. Practice with your Revolver and go to some of the Revolver ONLY Matches, Nationals, Memphis, ICORE Regionals and pick and choose any others. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

I know most say it's easier to go from a Revolver to an Auto, but for me it seems to be easier to go from an Auto to the Revolver.

Do a few Revolver only Matches and then you can make up your mind for sure.

Know exactly what you mean. I only judge myself against the 2 -3 other revolver shooters in our club. We all squad together so we get to harass each other which helps keeps it fun since I'm new to revolver also (yes, they wip me). Hated at first being the low end of our match results but, I'm with friends, shooting and not at work... How bad can that be???

Stick with it!!!

It takes time to get good but once you figure the game out. You can put a beating on the bottom feeders. Last match I shot I would have been 3nd in production and 6 in limited..

I don't which one is worse.. Working your way to the top or feeling like your at the top and some guy with a revo is keeping up with you.. (I this is all with love)

FYI Tac is for rifles..

post-41875-144309368688_thumb.png

Thanks folks. Part of it is ego, but most of it is that it just is not fun for me. Just seems like I am under a lot of pressure and that takes the fun out of it. And why shoot if it ain't fun?

I have responded and sent PM's and email to those who have asked or contacted me about the 929.

I felt exactly like you when I started with revolvers two years ago. I was fast and accurate with my CZ Shadow T, I got to a point where everything was natural and my scores were getting pretty good compared to guys with a lot more experience. Then I gave revolver a try and man was it hard to post the same times. It was frustrating but eventually quite rewarding to see my improvements over time. My best advice is to continue shooting limited and hold on to your revolver gear. Bring it along when you go to the range and practice with both guns, eventually your skills will get to a point where you can feel both comfortable and confident about shooting it on the clock. Looking back I can't believe I considered selling my competition revolver since I now have an embarrassing number of revolvers and only shoot my semi-autos to stay proficient for HD. Last thing to consider, go look at the match times for IDPA indoor nationals and compare Jerry Miculek's scores to the top CDP, ESP, and SSP shooters. He is without a doubt one of the best and even he'll post a wide margin compared to the semi autos. Apple and oranges if you try and think limited when shooting your revolver in a match.

Edit: I forgot to mention earlier, you said ego was a big part of the frustration and that's hard to get past if you are accustomed to being at the top of the pack. But...and this is a big one...if you get to a point where you can shoot that 929 as well as the semi-autos it's a great feeling, and one worth chasing. I did a little dueling tree the other day with my 625 against an STI DVC (with a good shooter) and he only got me by one plate. That's the best "loss" I've felt in a while.

Edited by Alaskan454

Any Interest in a STI USPSA Edition Single Stack 40?

Thanks for the kind words folks. I am going to stick to limited for now and focus on that.

As for the STI USPSA SS stacked...I am in CA....we little people are not aloud to own such an unsafe gun (if you don't know, CA has a "safe" handgun roster...that has been steadily shrinking...and if the gun is not in the roster...we can not buy it).