Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is reloading therapeutic ?

Therapeutic? Maybe. I thought it was kinda fun and just part of the whole shooting thing so never really considered it a chore. Always had plenty of ammo ready way before match days.

Edited by dr2e

Definately therapudic. I don't know if I shoot to reload or load to shoot, I enjoy both activities.

I now load on a Dillon 550. I had a 650 but gave that to my son who is getting used to reloading. It's time well spend and you get a rewarding feeling knowing you crated a load better than factory.

It is not therapeutic to me. It is somewhat stressful because I know what can happen if I screw up and miss something. It requires a high degree of concentration because I don’t want to damage a $500-$1200 pistol, or worse, let someone else shoot some of my ammo and something bad happen.

Some bad things that can happen.

Primer detonation in or near the press.

Squib load during rapid fire, where a second bullet slams into the back of one stuck in the barrel.

Double charge.

You have to be on your toes at all times, no daydreaming. I find all this somewhat stressful, and I take it very seriously.

Not the way I've done it.

I reload in spurts with little or no distractions. Get a distraction and I'm done.

I keep everything ready to roll. If I walk by the press and have the time, I'll load up anywhere from 50 to 300 rds (Dillon 550).

Nothing therapeutic about it.

Bill

For Bill it sounds like an addiction.

It is not therapeutic to me. It is somewhat stressful because I know what can happen if I screw up and miss something. It requires a high degree of concentration because I don’t want to damage a $500-$1200 pistol, or worse, let someone else shoot some of my ammo and something bad happen.

Some bad things that can happen.

Primer detonation in or near the press.

Squib load during rapid fire, where a second bullet slams into the back of one stuck in the barrel.

Double charge.

You have to be on your toes at all times, no daydreaming. I find all this somewhat stressful, and I take it very seriously.

This is actually the start of zen, loose the stress. Clear your head of all things not about reloading. As others suggested no cell, no radio or music with words or talking. Tell others not to interupt you unless the zombies are attacking. Become one with the press. You are now in zen.

Is washing the dishes or folding laundry therapeutic? Reloading is nothing more than a means to an end, if you want to play the game, you gotta load, gotta clean our gun, you gotta buy stuff to keep going. Shooting is therapeutic, it lowers my blood pressure.

Ha, absolutely! My buddy comes over and we call it our weekly therapy session.

We shoot the breeze while sorting and prepping brass, etc. The therapy does get a little more serious when powder gets involved.

But heck yeah! Reload and relax, but as stated above, do so with the proper precautions.

I would not call it therapeutic, but it gives me some time to concentrate on one thing - the reloading and nothing else.

It is relaxation for me and I enjoy reloading as much as I do shooting. My routine is coming back from shooting, putting the used brass in the tumbler, cleraning my guns.

Then later that day, I reload to replenish what I shot earlier and then some. Never can have enough rounds ready....

During the actual reloading, I concentrate on what I am doing. My wife knows not to come down to the basement and ask all kind of questions when I reload.

if she really comes down for something important, then she knows to wait until I have the press cleared and I turn around to her.

It is for me...After 35+ years of reloading, it continues to be very therapeutic. When I am reloading, I am only thinking about reloading. Any worries or problems disappear.

And I still use a single stage press. :roflol:

Bob

Absolutely it is for me. I do as noted by others Machines are set up, I walk in, pick a machine and start loading. It gives me something to concentrate on, forget what is going on outside my vault room, focus on some good music and loading. I may only load 50 rds, or just empty a primer tube. Reset and leave. I really enjoy it. I am CREATING something, not dealing with a bunch of crap I cant control ( no politcal rant at this time.) Or work related stress. But then, I really enjoy loading MG belts using the various belt loaders- that is almost as much fun as shooting them. I have them set up too, and may come in and load belts too. I really just like the simplicity of the machines.......

I load to get the ammo it produces... I do enjoy it but I don't *really* enjoy it.

Once I get the machine running I basically go through the motions unless something grabs my attention. I watch TV, listen to podcasts, and maybe even sip on a beverage. Once it's to that point it becomes relaxing.

Hello: It depends on what machine you are reloading on. I load on Dillon RL1050's and it goes pretty quick. The Dillon primer filler is what pisses me off more than anything. Sometimes it works 100% and other days it jams up every 20-40 primers. Reloading on my Dillon SL900 is enjoyable but sitting down and loading shotshells on my Spolar is even better. Just look at the money you are saving by reloading and that should put a smile on your face. Thanks, Eric