Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What case tumbler to get?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cabela's here. Was about $70 with free shipping and runs every weekend for two years without a problem.

Just put it on a "anti fatigue" mat and it is very quite. Use ground walnut from HF with Nufinish - brass looks like new.

I fill two five gallon buckets half full of brass add some lemon shine and dawn, stir with a pipe. Let it sit for twenty, pour it on a giant screen, hose it off, let it bake in the hot southern sun. Done. I just don't have time to be polishing brass to a mirror finish. It's just going to get dirty again.

Edited by Onepocket

• 2 weeks later...

maybe not an answer to "tumbler"

i may be minority here but....

ultrasonic whatever you can get cheap online $70 range

lots of forumlas and tricks.... start with ...... google clean and shiny

no dust.... less exposure.....cleaner than vibratory

clean primer pockets

are you looking to wet tumble?

first time i saw the concrete mixer i was amazed......

I have a Lyman with the vented lid and a frankford arsenal. I like the Lyman more because you can dump the media out without having to but the brass in a media separator. The Frankford is nice to, it's plain jane but works good. I've had the Lyman for probably 5 years and it runs almost daily for 3-6 hours. I've had the frankford for about a year now but I run it every day for about 3-4 hours and I haven't had a problem yet. Both were reasonably priced.

The problem with the slotted lid is that it allows the tumbler to put a lot of the dust into the air. The FA media separator is pretty inexpensive and works really well.

I own the 2001 that you have and have the smaller Dillon too, I have had and used other brands. I am going to replace the motor if mine burns out. I think it is the finest tumbler made for competitive shooters types.

I have lymans (two 1200s, and a 2500).

For the slotted lid 1200s I made a 1/16" thick x 12 inch or so diameter sheet of silicone with a hole in the middle that goes on the center spindle under the lid. Basically it is a big round gasket. Keeps the dust confined and the noise is reduced quite a bit. The 1200s are over 20 years old. Kind of waiting on one to die to justify getting another 2500.

Edited by Bamboo

The problem with the slotted lid is that it allows the tumbler to put a lot of the dust into the air. The FA media separator is pretty inexpensive and works really well.

I would agree it should but when used with the Lyman green corncob I've never seen any dust escape nor found any in the laundry. In fact fine particles collect in the bottom of the tumbler. With crushed walnut there would be dust for sure.

My Dillon cv-2001 motor burnt out so I need a new one. Looking at the options. Get another Dillon or something else?

Depending on what a new motor would cost I guess. My small Dillon is over 5 years old and still runs great even after I knocked it off the workbench once. 3 feet onto concrete and it only knocked one wire loose. That's pretty tough

I would agree it should but when used with the Lyman green corncob I've never seen any dust escape nor found any in the laundry. In fact fine particles collect in the bottom of the tumbler. With crushed walnut there would be dust for sure.

Same here. Using the Lyman tumbler with Lyman green corncob media with some Nu Finish and no dust.

I find neither of the two Dillon tumblers I have (large and small) work worth a damn. They get too hot, even with vent holes added, cook the media and dry it out. The two Frankford Arsenal ones I had were both smaller and did larger loads and cleaned much much better.

However, all of them now sit gathering dust instead of generating it. I think wet tumbling is the best thing you can do, and that the Frankford Arsenal kit is the best value on the market. I can do just over 20lbs of brass at a time (32lbs total with water and stainless pins). 45 minutes and the brass is better than new shiny. In the oven or out in the sun or in front of the fire until dry, and they are ready to go. No more dust in the air, no more dirty fingers, and they go through my press so much nicer.

If you insist on going dry, get the enclosed RCBS Media separator, it will help keep the dust down. I use it for rinsing my brass now, and it keeps the splashing down too.

I've got a 3 yr old hornady and it's terrible. The container is separating where it was pressed together. I've got duct tape holding it together. I think I'll go wine Lyman next and maybe a backup Frankford arsenal.

Have a Cabela's made by Berry's. Ha.s 3 yr on motor and lifetime on the bowl/lid. Lid became cracked from over tightening the wing nut and was replaced under warranty. Use walnut from Harbor Freight and Corn cob from Zoro.com. Had unit two yrs and lots of use.

Also recently got the Frankford Arsenal wet tumbler, difference is nite and day!

20150608_192336_zpsjjpar0ic.jpg