Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

videoing other shooters. Does one need permission to place it on the w

let say you video your whole squad. Does one need permission from those people to put it on youtube? or is considered public event thus no need for a disclosure.

Wouldn't you first ask everyone if it is cool with them? There may be people who do not want their activities made public. Common courtesy, in other words.

Its not a public event. Typically a private club where members have to pay to shoot. Although spectators are usually welcome it's not the same as a public street. That said, the etiquette would say that you ask if anyone has an issue being filmed because you'd like to put it up on YouTube, etc.

Legally there is nothing to stop you from doing so. A shooting match is considered a public event, no matter the structure of the club. The level of privacy you reasonably expect inside your home or even vehicle would not apply to a match. Typically the event is on a public calendar, on multiple web sites, open to anyone who pays, no explicit prohibition on video or photographs, with results recorded and posted in open, public forums and websites.

I've had video of me show up on FB of me at a match, where no one asked to film me ahead of time. On the other hand, if I am going to put my GoPro down range when I am on deck, even with it off, I ask the RO and the shooter if they are OK with it. If not, I don't.

Legal is one thing, courtesy is another. Look closely at the waiver you sign and at anyone with a phone out when you're about to shoot.

• 2 weeks later...

Its not a public event. Typically a private club where members have to pay to shoot. Although spectators are usually welcome it's not the same as a public street. That said, the etiquette would say that you ask if anyone has an issue being filmed because you'd like to put it up on YouTube, etc.

If it is not limited to members only, then it is a public event (even if it is on private property).

let say you video your whole squad. Does one need permission from those people to put it on youtube? or is considered public event thus no need for a disclosure.

It's probably legal, but it might be a thoroughly douchebag move. There are some people who do not want images of them shooting being recorded. Basic courtesy would be to get their permission before posting online any pics of them shooting.

Some people don't care. Others care very much. Do the right thing and ask before you film (and especially before you post).

Edited by Gryff

I do a lot of video. I always ask them first if they mind and the provide them a copy so they can decide. If I am doing a highlight video I ask their permission ahead time. I don't you legally have to but I see it as a cmon courtesy.

Unless the shooter says no video.... All of my regular crew likes to see themselves. After all, the video doesn't show mikes!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7AzTL0gpc_5QCz2IisMQtA

I'd say most of us who compete, love to see it on film. Kind of an ego thing.

Don't record without permission and definitely do NOT post it on the internet. Some might like that and to others it may be a hazard.

The one's who will object, may well surprise you. And I guarantee you if they do they will be vehement about it.

And who needs that kind of trouble.

When we remember, we actually mention this at the start of our matches. We ask people to ask permission of anyone they film, RO's included. Not only would some folks not have their face all over the internet running with guns because their boss may not approve, but some people who shoot our matches depend on some degree of anonymity to do their day job.

In any endeavor, not just shooting, it is probably best if you ask permission before you post a video of someone else. I can see how that is virtually impossible when you record your kids little league game, but do you really need to post that anyway?

the laws regarding whether you are allowed to record an image of someone (video or still photography) are not straightforward and are different in every state ... there are many questions that need to be answered before you can determine "is it legal?" Questions such as "the expectation of privacy", where was the image taken (public or private property); what do you plan to do with the image? Are you going to try and sell it to make money of it? Is the image of the person recognizable as that person? Also, some of these questions work together and the answer is different depending on the answer to the other question ....

I used to do professional pet photography which is even more complicated because the laws are different for property than people in most states and some states consider pets property and others do not.

The simplest way to avoid any issue is to get the individuals in question to sign a model release allowing you to take & use their image. Lots of examples of model releases on-line providing all sorts of rights to the model & photographer so you can taylor one for your needs.

Ever see those "cheating boyfriend/girlfriend" TV shows where every once in a while someone's face is blurred out? That's because the TV show did not get or could not get a release for that individual and they didn't want to get sued ...

Edited by Nimitz

• 2 weeks later...

If it is incidental, someone caught in your video, everyone has a pretty good disguise with glasses/headphones/hat - person on the street won't recognize them, LOL.

But for many reasons listed above, its not a good idea to post a video focused on someone, tagging them and showing their run and equipment w/o their permission.

Someone who has a public Facebook page which includes what they do on USPSA, or even dedicated athlete page to competition, is going to view this question very differently than someone who for any number of reasons doesn't post or publish what they do.

So, does USPSA need to get approval from competitors before they publish a photograph of them in Front Sight ?

Not sure. But I know for a fact if you write to DNROI with a question they can and WILL publish it! And I'm not cool with that.....

• 3 weeks later...

The Courts have ruled at the Federal Level you can video record and take pictures in public where there is no expectation of privacy.

You don't need anyone's permission.

But if someone doesn't want to be video taped or have their video put on YouTube I think the proper thing to do is honor their request.

I shot a lot of video and pictures at Area 6 MultiGun, one young looking guy asked me not to publish any of his video or pictures, I hot the impression he was an undercover LEO, he said his bosses did not allow any pictures or video of him to be posted.

He asked me in a very polite manner, made a very reasonable request and I honored his request.

So, does USPSA need to get approval from competitors before they publish a photograph of them in Front Sight ?

Not sure. But I know for a fact if you write to DNROI with a question they can and WILL publish it! And I'm not cool with that.....

Why?

Sent from the range

Why?

Sent from the range

I have my reasons.

Not if they're publishing as part of a news article about the match.....

Now, if they insert the image into an ad, that's a whole different ballgame -- and leaves a lot of people with potential liability.....

The Courts have ruled at the Federal Level you can video record and take pictures in public where there is no expectation of privacy.

You don't need anyone's permission.

But if someone doesn't want to be video taped or have their video put on YouTube I think the proper thing to do is honor their request.

I shot a lot of video and pictures at Area 6 MultiGun, one young looking guy asked me not to publish any of his video or pictures, I hot the impression he was an undercover LEO, he said his bosses did not allow any pictures or video of him to be posted.

He asked me in a very polite manner, made a very reasonable request and I honored his request.

that ruling depends on whether you are on public or private land ....the 'expectation of privacy' only extends in public places on public property .... if you're walking on a street in the middle of downtown NYC at noon on a Wed then yes, there is no expecation of privacy ... if you're on someone's privately owned shooting range you need permission of the proprety owner and the prpoerty owner is not going to violate the privacy rights of his guests (shooters in this case) without their permission ..... Edited by Nimitz