Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

When you say a custom pistol built by a reputable gunsmith. Would the HP Edge from Brazos count?

I only ask because I recently saw the DVC and thought it was a dream to hold. I don't have any experience with 2011 but seeing the DVC got my curiosity and thinking of possibly trying Limited. I am trying to guage where the DVC fit in with the HP Edge from Brazos as the only other 2011 I have held.

My first 2011 was a HP edge from Brazos. Looking back, was the best thing I ever did. Outstanding and reliable gun. That gun always ran for me and gave me a stack of updated classifier cards to show for it. There are lots of great options out there, The HP edge is a frontrunner.

Good luck amigo!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brazos HP Edge is NOT a custom gun. It is a standard Edge that Brazos takes apart and refits everything or sends it back to STI to fix. Still a quality gun though, just not custom.

Good luck.

This is funny to read all this. Seems the discussions are driven by emotion and not facts and data. So let me try to be unbiased. For the record I have never even had an Apeiro in my hand and I just got my DVC less than 6 hours ago. The Apeiro might be $200 or so less but look at the extras the DVC has that would cost quite a bit to duplicate on the Apeiro such as: double undercut trigger guard, slide cuts (performance improving depending on who you ask), agressive grip stippling, toolless guiderod (Apeiro might have this as well),barrel (not just for bling but supposedly is abrasive resistant with extra lubricity properties), etc. This is just a few items that would be extra cost if you had it done to the Apeiro. Now for the negative of the DVC. The slide doesn't seem as smooth as all custom pistol I have, I don't think it is a true 2 lb. trigger (more like 2.5+ but I don't have guage), and that's about all the negative. The dust cover has some recess cuts that can actually be used as a place to put your thumb to gain better recoil control. I put approx 60 rounds through the DVC so far and it is dead on accurate. Love it so far but I will say you are probably better off putting your money into a true custom pistol built by a reputable gunsmith. Please remember all this is simply MHO. I will keep everyone updated. I have a 3 gun comp this weekend and will run the DVC so it should be put ton the test. Great conversation though, pretty cool.

What would it cost to put a sight tracker AET barrel in a DVC? Somewhere in the $600 - $700 range. I believe the Apeiro is the winner!

Anyone with a Dremel and a soldering iron can make a custom grip that is as good or better than the one that comes on the DVC. If you have a tight grip you could have mag sticking issues with the grip on the DVC. Know more than a few people that have that grip in there spare parts bin due to this issue.

I like a good debate!

Could you take pity on the uninitiated and explain what a sight tracker is then? And what the benefits are? I found a picture of what's supposed be a 5 inch sight tracker, and it appears the front sight is fixed to the barrel instead of the slide. Isn't that what an island barrel is?

welp just picked up my dvc open 38 that I ordered way back in January!! it came with two mags, and surprisingly (in a good way) one was a big stick, the other a 140! pretty nice machine! will try to play with it some over the weekend.

regarding buying a dvc vs a brazos or dawson-tuned gun, I obviously went the dvc route with my recent addition. but I do have brazos and dawson-tuned guns (40 edge and 9 eagle that they did trigger and reliability work on, not just bolt on stuff) and both are awesome.

I will report back on the dvc open after I have had a chance to have some fun with it.

Could you take pity on the uninitiated and explain what a sight tracker is then? And what the benefits are? I found a picture of what's supposed be a 5 inch sight tracker, and it appears the front sight is fixed to the barrel instead of the slide. Isn't that what an island barrel is?

Sight tracker is an island barrel. As you indicated the front sight is fixed to the barrel. This does multiple things in theory. Sight doesn't reciprocate with the slide making it easier to focus on. Decreases slide weight reducing felt recoil. Increases forward weight due to the barrel weighing more reducing muzzel flip. You can find weights of the DVC slide and barrel as well as Apeiro slide and barrel on thread below.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=218662&page=3#entry2436995

This is funny to read all this. Seems the discussions are driven by emotion and not facts and data. So let me try to be unbiased. For the record I have never even had an Apeiro in my hand and I just got my DVC less than 6 hours ago. The Apeiro might be $200 or so less but look at the extras the DVC has that would cost quite a bit to duplicate on the Apeiro such as: double undercut trigger guard, slide cuts (performance improving depending on who you ask), agressive grip stippling, toolless guiderod (Apeiro might have this as well),barrel (not just for bling but supposedly is abrasive resistant with extra lubricity properties), etc. This is just a few items that would be extra cost if you had it done to the Apeiro. Now for the negative of the DVC. The slide doesn't seem as smooth as all custom pistol I have, I don't think it is a true 2 lb. trigger (more like 2.5+ but I don't have guage), and that's about all the negative. The dust cover has some recess cuts that can actually be used as a place to put your thumb to gain better recoil control. I put approx 60 rounds through the DVC so far and it is dead on accurate. Love it so far but I will say you are probably better off putting your money into a true custom pistol built by a reputable gunsmith. Please remember all this is simply MHO. I will keep everyone updated. I have a 3 gun comp this weekend and will run the DVC so it should be put ton the test. Great conversation though, pretty cool.

What would it cost to put a sight tracker AET barrel in a DVC? Somewhere in the $600 - $700 range. I believe the Apeiro is the winner!

Anyone with a Dremel and a soldering iron can make a custom grip that is as good or better than the one that comes on the DVC. If you have a tight grip you could have mag sticking issues with the grip on the DVC. Know more than a few people that have that grip in there spare parts bin due to this issue.

I like a good debate!

It all depends. The stainless slide on the Apeiro is actually a negative IMHO - and was the deciding factory in me choosing the DVC instead. Carbon steel is less prone to galling, and chrome-plated carbon gives the nice slivery appearance of stainless (as well as the corrosion resistance) without that drawback.

The magwell on the DVC - better. DVC comes from the factory with a drilled/tapped magazine release. The trigger is also supposed to be better on the DVC (I've never pulled the trigger on an Apeiro to know for sure). The DVC comes with a Dawson tool-less guide rod, and the DVC comes with 2 very usable 140mm magazines whilst the Apeiro comes with a 126mm paperweight. As to the grip - I certainly haven't had mags sticking in mine, and I've seen a lot of "soldering iron" homebrew grip texturing that look pretty rough compared to the DVC grip.

Admittedly, I do like the sight tracker barrel setup, and I like the rear serrations of the Apeiro more, but it's certainly not a clear cut winner over the DVC.

Both are good guns though - I don't think anyone would be bad off with either of them.

Edited by MGMorden

I like a good debate!

It all depends. The stainless slide on the Apeiro is actually a negative IMHO - and was the deciding factory in me choosing the DVC instead. Carbon steel is less prone to galling, and chrome-plated carbon gives the nice slivery appearance of stainless (as well as the corrosion resistance) without that drawback.

The magwell on the DVC - better. DVC comes from the factory with a drilled/tapped magazine release. The trigger is also supposed to be better on the DVC (I've never pulled the trigger on an Apeiro to know for sure). The DVC comes with a Dawson tool-less guide rod, and the DVC comes with 2 very usable 140mm magazines whilst the Apeiro comes with a 126mm paperweight. As to the grip - I certainly haven't had mags sticking in mine, and I've seen a lot of "soldering iron" homebrew grip texturing that look pretty rough compared to the DVC grip.

Admittedly, I do like the sight tracker barrel setup, and I like the rear serrations of the Apeiro more, but it's certainly not a clear cut winner over the DVC.

Both are good guns though - I don't think anyone would be bad off with either of them.

The stainless steel slide only has exposed stainless on the sides of the slide where it has been polished. Gaulling is not an issue for any 2011 unless you don't lubricate the moving parts.

The magwell on the DVC and the Apeiro have the same dimensions so there is no difference except for a "bling" cut in the side. If you want a great magwell you would have to replace either. Shooting limited that makes for one mag change which on most stages you don't even need a magwell to help your performance.

The Apeiro mag release is drilled and tapped as well.

The guide rod is a plus on the DVC. I replaced the recoil master on my pistols with an Infinity guide rod for less than $30.

The 2- 140 mags are a plus for the DVC. I wouldn't say they are very usable. The 2 tubes are good and worth $110. After you change the base plate and spring and followers they would be "very" usable.

I believe the trigger on the DVC is SALES AND MARKETING. There is alot more to a trigger than the pull weight. If you want a great trigger it will take some work.

I should have said that anyone with some mechanical aptitude could customize and stipple there grip. I don't have an extreme grip but my buddies that did grip the gun tightly causing the grip to flex making the mag stick. Keep holding on loosely.

So you would need to spend $140 on the Apeiro.

That narrows the win to the Apeiro to $500. I was wrong in my earlier post.

I like a good debate!

The stainless steel slide only has exposed stainless on the sides of the slide where it has been polished. Gaulling is not an issue for any 2011 unless you don't lubricate the moving parts.

The magwell on the DVC and the Apeiro have the same dimensions so there is no difference except for a "bling" cut in the side. If you want a great magwell you would have to replace either. Shooting limited that makes for one mag change which on most stages you don't even need a magwell to help your performance.

The Apeiro mag release is drilled and tapped as well.

The guide rod is a plus on the DVC. I replaced the recoil master on my pistols with an Infinity guide rod for less than $30.

The 2- 140 mags are a plus for the DVC. I wouldn't say they are very usable. The 2 tubes are good and worth $110. After you change the base plate and spring and followers they would be "very" usable.

I believe the trigger on the DVC is SALES AND MARKETING. There is alot more to a trigger than the pull weight. If you want a great trigger it will take some work.

I should have said that anyone with some mechanical aptitude could customize and stipple there grip. I don't have an extreme grip but my buddies that did grip the gun tightly causing the grip to flex making the mag stick. Keep holding on loosely.

So you would need to spend $140 on the Apeiro.

That narrows the win to the Apeiro to $500. I was wrong in my earlier post.

Lol. I too love a good debate and I actually forgot about the site tracker part for the Apeiro, so touché my friend. Lol. Although some say it is more hype than true performance enhancement. With that said I have a new 6" site tracker coming, from Hayes Custom Guns ( little plug there for my boys at HCG) and I can't wait. I have several STI's and so far I LOVE the DVC. Most easy, accurate shooting gun I have. I squeeze the heck out of a gun but haven't had an issue yet. If nothing else the side slide cut helps me keep the pistol flat and maintain control. Just like a thumb paddle. Sure there are a couple of things I wish were better/different but overall for a semi-custom out of the box competition gun....solid A rating. Would love to try an Apeiro and really compare the two.

i put 3-4 big sticks thru my dvc open 38 super over the weekend. it was definitely sighted in at the factory and it hit everything i aimed at. it did have a couple of malfs per mag, mostly the round not seating in the chamber (atlanta new ammo) where i had to tap the slide forward. definitely the most malf % of my various STI's by far but the gun is tight and i'm hopeful more rounds and heat cycles will loosen it up ever so slightly. didn't measure but trigger felt lighter than my other sti's.

Received and shot my 9mm LTD today. Well worth the wait. Shot 200 rnds tonight with zero malfunctions. Pistol is tight and easy to shoot.

DVC%20right_zpsklugqvf2.jpg

DVC%20Leftjpg_zpsdtnzzzbi.jpg

DVC%20top_zpshll7juat.jpg

Edited by HAYES

What load were you shooting out of the 9mm?

147gr Frontier RN Jacketed, 3.8gr Bullseye CCI primer 1.125 OAL assorted Brass.

Shot 300 more since that first day plus a small 3 gun match. Love this gun. The only one in my collection that is close is my SV STD in 40 followed closely by my Apeiro in 40

Cannot say enough about this piece. Its expensive, its a long wait and I know you can have a custom pistol made for the same or less but I am satisfied with my purchase

Shot my new DVC Limited the other day. Accuracy was awesome, paster size 5 shots at 18 yards. Shot the gun in a match, any misses were my fault , grip safety killed me, I have already fix that problem. Got to get the grip exchanged out soon, do not like the trigger guard cuts, to small for my hands. Hopefully can find a steel grip soon.