Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the DVC today. Looks really really nice. It feels lighter and more balanced than the apeiro although looking at the scales only shows a 1/2 oz difference in weight.

I put a trigger pull gauge on them and they both broke at exactly 3.25lbs. But this is with a never fired (other than the 2 test shots by the factory) DVC and the apeiro has around 1500 rounds and lots of dry fire on it. I'm thinking after it is "broken in" it may be less than 3lbs.

That's pretty much all I've looked at so far. Can't wait to shoot it and see how it feels!

You will need some good mags, the STI 140mm mafs will come with STI's shitty follower and based pad. Just order the Dawson pads and Grams guts for those two mags that come with the gun.

Then either buy a 4 pack from Brazos, or go wit the MBX mags.

what do the .40 mags hold? I'm putting together my budget for my the DVC and need to know if I need to plan on rebuilding the mags to hold 20

The stock STI 140mm mags that came with mine hold 18 rds of .40sw, I got a TTI 4g2 basepad with Grams follower and spring and I got 20rds with those "guts" in the stock STI 140mm tubes when I got them. I left it fully loaded for almost a week and just checked it and can squeeze 21 rds into it. Not sure if it will be reloadable with 21 or not yet. Gonna let it set for a while longer with 21 rounds in it and see how it does.

My question is to bigcraig is that I have heard mags need to be "tuned" and I could add base plates like I have on my Zev 34 but I have not had one malfunction with my stock mags. Also I purchased 2 more STI stock 140 mags and haven't had any issues with those either so even though your opinion isn't high of the "stock" mags I don't think I'll change them because everything is running well. I personally can't knock anything on the DVC or the STI mags.

My question is to bigcraig is that I have heard mags need to be "tuned" and I could add base plates like I have on my Zev 34 but I have not had one malfunction with my stock mags. Also I purchased 2 more STI stock 140 mags and haven't had any issues with those either so even though your opinion isn't high of the "stock" mags I don't think I'll change them because everything is running well. I personally can't knock anything on the DVC or the STI mags.

I also came from the Glock platform to the DVC as my first 2011. It's amazing to me that the cheap plastic Glock mags work fine,even if you add aftermarket base plates, etc... Amazing how much "tuning" these 2011 mags can require. If you are content with 18 rds, the stock STI mags will probably serve you well. I shot my first USPSA match with mine last weekend using stock STI mags and they functioned flawlessly. Like I said in my post above I got a TTI pad/grams guts and I like that combo, but will have to test it for function. I know there is the possibility of the slide locking back with one round left, so will need to test and see if it does that. If so, will probably go ahead and modify the mag catch to not lock back on empty to resolve that issue. When my wallet recovers a little more from buying the DVC, I'll buy TTI basepads with grams guts for the rest of my mags.

Many use the stock mags without issue. Most issues come up when people start wanting to get max capacity or trick them out. Most stock mags will work fine so don't get caught up trying to do too much to them. The only issue that is about universal is the mags locking back prematurely. That is best addressed at the slide stop. However, I do believe in max performance so most of mine are tuned, grams base pads and followers with lots of polishing.

Sent from the range

Yep, stock mags are fine if you are good with 18 rounds. The mags that came with my DVC worked 100% in it. In my Apeiro they don't work at all. Jams all the time on the feed ramp. I even bought a tuning kit from dawson's and couldn't get them to work very well. (interesting that the 126mm mag that came with the apeiro works 100%). Anyway, I ended up buying some of those MBX mags for it and they work 100% and hold 21 rounds!

But again, if the stock mags are working for ya, you're golden!

You will need some good mags, the STI 140mm mafs will come with STI's shitty follower and based pad. Just order the Dawson pads and Grams guts for those two mags that come with the gun.

Then either buy a 4 pack from Brazos, or go wit the MBX mags.

+1 on BMX They work great.

Well I have the dvc and apeiro now. So it will be interesting comparing the two. They both will be pretty much stock. Although I have a Dawson tooless guiderod and 11lb recoil spring on the apeiro.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I bought the 40 Aperio, Now it does not have the slide cut or a couple of other cosmedics the DVC has, But I think its the best gun A-Z STI makes, My trigger is 2.5 # is is as light and smooth as I want it. I have the Dawson toolless rod, an SVI trigger and fire group, and its never failed.

The

Well I have the dvc and apeiro now. So it will be interesting comparing the two. They both will be pretty much stock. Although I have a Dawson tooless guiderod and 11lb recoil spring on the apeiro.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I bought the 40 Aperio, Now it does not have the slide cut or a couple of other cosmedics the DVC has, But I think its the best gun A-Z STI makes, My trigger is 2.5 # is is as light and smooth as I want it. I have the Dawson toolless rod, an SVI trigger and fire group, and its never failed.

The Aperio is a mucho better pistol. IMHO...

Limited mags and my story.

When I first made the change to the 2011 platform, from a Glock, I ordered Brazos tuned mags before ever receiving the gun. (Which was a CRP Edge from Dawson, they were on sale.) These mags were 20 reloadable from day one and never let me down, ever. I did replace the guts after one full season with same brand guts, grams, and again no issues. I then started chasing that unicorn of a 21 reloadable mag by using the TTI guts. I had issues after about a half season, weak springs and follower tilt causing the dreaded salt shaker effect.

Over the last off season I sent my mags back to Brazos explaining my issues. Bob suggested that I replace the guts with the Grams. Bob put new guts in the mags, checked the demensions and shipped them back to me, only charged me the cost of the guts.

As far as me tuning stock STI mag tubes, I put Dawson pads and Grams guts in them and get 20 reloadable, but, they don't drop free as smoothly as my Brazos. But I haven't polished them or really tuned them as I don't use them very much.

There ya go!

There was a DVC being used on my squad at Cowtown. It choked on every stage until it was bagged up and replaced with a backup gun. Some kind of feeding issue IIRC. Same mags and ammo in the shooter's backup gun ran 100%.

Edit: it was the Limited version

Edited by Dr Mitch

There was a DVC being used on my squad at Cowtown. It choked on every stage until it was bagged up and replaced with a backup gun. Some kind of feeding issue IIRC. Same mags and ammo in the shooter's backup gun ran 100%.

On a semi-custom pistol, you would want to run 400-500 rounds through it before going to a Match.

Like anything, there is a break in period imho.

I wonder if they were using factory ammo? My .40 DVC didn't like factory stuff and would FTF sometimes with it. It seems to like longer OAL. Since loading my own at 1.18, it functions flawlessly. (The factory stuff I tried was just over 1.12).

Three shooters local to me have the DVC limited so far. Two work great and the third guy is a new shooter having trouble with mags I think? I shot one at a 1-stage weeknight match and loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well damnit, I want one now. A friend just got his Limited in and let me borrow his belt, gun and mags to do a few runs on El Prez at the last match. Talk about a sweet shooting pistol. I was amazed at how easy it was to track the front sight. Now I am rethinking having a sight tracker built. Only went low 6s on the few runs I took, but considering the holster wasn't set for me and I had never used the belt, pistol, etc, I was really impressed with the gun. I have owned some nice 2011s too.

Currently shooting Prod, but man do I miss Limited. Don't get me wrong, I love Prod, but man those are some nice pistols.

Just got mine yesterday, for those of you still waiting it was from brazos and was a 9mm LTD that I ordered the end of February, to give you an idea where you might be in line.

Put 250 rounds through it about an hour after I got it and I'm extremely pleased with it(coming from a FNX9 so yea night and day difference) aside from the 2 fte's and 4-5 FTF's (most of them out of one of the stock mags(found the rounds nosed dived in the mag) I have MBX mags that worked much better). The loads I have are girly rounds that were setup for my previous gun (Im a 3-gunner so I dont care about power factor much except for the occasional lvl 1 USPSA shoots I do) and I expected this to be the case given that. Current rounds I'm shooting are 115 Xtreme plated rounds with 5.1gn of unique (it will actually run on 4.7gn) with a very long OAL of 1.165 that run flawlessly(probably 1 ftf/e in 8000 rounds) in my previous gun as well as 2 of my buddies guns (M&P core/ruger). I'm going to run 500 or so factory loads through it and heat cycle it a few more times (I can feel it loosening up already) then redo my handloads specifically for this gun. I have complete confidence this gun will be 100% reliable once I finish break in and design a new load for it as I expected a lot more trouble with the ammo I was using. All the ftf's were the nose of the bulled catching on the ramp, but the ramp looks good so a combination of very long OAL, tight gun, and wimpy loads I'm certain is the problem. I'd be willing to bet factory ammo will cycle fine.

One note I ended up getting a G-code holster (the lvl 2 retention/thumb brake version) for it (5" edge version) and the gun wouldn't go more than 1/3 into the holster when I got it. I drilled out the last two fasteners and now it fits although too snug at the moment (was catching on the frame) going to get some rubber spacers for the holes where I drilled fasteners as its formed to be kind of "V" shaped being tighter at the tip of the holster and I'm sure it will work well once I get that sorted out as it seems to be formed well to match the slide/frame once its in there.

Anyways after some minor tweaking and break in that I anticipated I expect this to be a fantastic gun, it shoots very flat and I was cleaning plate racks so much faster than my previous gun I cant wait till the next match in 2 weeks. Hope this info helps.

The DVC Limited is a great shooting pistol and excellent value for a semi custom blaster. I have about 2500 rounds through mine and after break in has ran flawlessly. I reload to an Oal of 1.125 and it feeds fine. It eats the Long Major stuff from Atlanta Arms so it's not a picky gun IMO. I'm using the MBX mags and while I can get 21 in them they won't lock in on a closed slide but they will lock back on empty. Soon I might try to tweak the trigger with an SVI trigger bow. It took some slop out of an Edge I had so I might try it again. I like my Limited so much I ordered a DVC Open in 9mm to give Open Division a try.

I do happen to have a DVC Limited .40 in stock in my store if you can't find one from a forum dealer.

Sent PM on the DVC