Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New STI DVC Open and Limited guns

Quack

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who'e your importer as i had mine on order b4 the gun show,put a deposit down for one in jan and i know i was on the pre shot show order for the first shipment

Edited by mickd1

who'e your importer as i had mine on order b4 the gun show,put a deposit down for one in jan and was told i was about about no 3 for the first shipment

edge imports in SA, great mob to deal with , i posted some initial thoughts on a aussie forum at the time

we have had two issues with my son's limited .40 so far.

1. the rear sight was stuck in the rear of the slide and could not be adjusted, a little file work on the sight and all is good now.

2. more serious issue, during the Area 8 match the front sight slid out of the dove tail, it was very costly in terms of match finish. ordered a new fitted a new manny dot sight from brazos and all is good now. STI said they would take the slide back but no estimate on how long it would take and this gun is going to nationals so I couldn't afford and open ended wait time.

I had a chance to shoot a .40 DVC, it's a great gun. STI builds some of the best guns for our sport and all around. I haven't shot a limited gun in about a year. Kinda makes me wanna pull out the Cameron 6". to close to the Nationals now. But as far as the sight issues shoot the heck out of the gun before the Nationals so you trust it completely and can work out any kinks. Good luck.

none here in australia yet :yawn:

yeah there have been some opens here for over a month now... My impression is the quality in fit is just not what it used to be. They are not a bad gun for the money, but not quite the game changer I thought they might be... :(

Any idea how much more is an svi is? $4.5k is getting up there.

Dan, until recently my answer would have been not much. With the AUD in the toilet cost is around $7K AUD to have one in aus. need to talk to JPP.

The other option for a nice custom built open is a CK arms thunder or hard core. They have a good rep. Are full of EGW ignition parts, titanium comp, aftec etc basically all the good gear and built on a CK frame and slide. Cost is a little more than a DVC but you are getting a hand built gun that has all billet machined parts (nothing MIM or cast on it). The STI stuff these days is batch assembled in stages which is great to get guns built fast but not the best way to a nicely built gun. many different hands on the guns as they go from station to station. parts are not matched in any way just pulled from batches and yes at the end they have an experienced guy QC them but ask yourself how long he'd stay employed if he started sending back anything better than a full broken gun...So basically if the gun functions and has nothing glaringly wrong with it he has to pass it or risk finding himself pissing of a bunch of people who pay his wages... difficult position to be in.

I don't intend to be bagging STI but they are now building a product to a certain standard. I don't think anyone would argue that they are still a premium product in the 2011 competition gun market. They have produced some great stuff and some great innovations but as their pricing creeps up it's fair enough some people start considering custom built alternatives.

Some of the earlier built stuff is almost custom fit quality. A mate has a very old STI open. Basically all the parts have part of his serial number stamped on them to ensure it stayed together as a matched set.

yeah there have been some opens here for over a month now... My impression is the quality in fit is just not what it used to be. They are not a bad gun for the money, but not quite the game changer I thought they might be... :(

cant see how you can say this as the main importer for sti told me yesterday that only 2 dvc open guns have come to australia,1 for brodie and the other is still sitting in his safe,

even druid01 has not shot his yet

Edited by mickd1

cant see how you can say this as the main importer for sti told me yesterday that only 2 dvc open guns have come to australia,1 for brodie and the other is still sitting in his safe,

Damn SAPOL and there 6 week PTA processing time :angry2:

well presuming druids is not the one in edge's safe that's at least 3 (or maybe just 2)... I know they are not in the dozens sitting around all over the place but like I said there are some here. Limiteds too. edge may be the new STI distributor but it's naive to think that's the only way STI's can get brought into the country. I know they try and keep a tight lid on things but there is nothing to stop anyone buying a gun from a dealer in the US, transferring it to an export friendly FFL and bringing it over.

It sounds like what aircooledracer has seen have been excellent so that's encouraging.

I was super keen to buy one too, but the massive wait from announcement to arrival saw my enthusiasm wane as did the slight watering down of spec. as did some initial reports on the fitment (fairly common with STI's these days). the whole mass produced vs gunsmith built guns is something of a issue for me too when we are paying fairly significant dough. If they were significantly cheaper than a custom built open 2011 I could see the value. but at the price they command now the gap has closed.

I honestly hope they are a great shooter. I'm not likely to buy one (perhaps if I saw a used one cheap as a backup) but I'd be more than happy to put a few rounds through someones if I see it at a match. :)

I also honestly hope you gets yours soon too. If you ordered your open pre-shot shot it should be well on its way by now. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Shot my 40 DVC today to check the sights for the State Sectional this weekend. This gun amazes me every time I shoot it for groups. If I focus like I should, 18 yard pasters are easy. I have never had a 40 that was this accurate and flawless functioning. Great trigger from the factory is rare. I hate to sell it after the State match, but it will go to the classifieds after next Sunday.

Shot my 40 DVC today to check the sights for the State Sectional this weekend. This gun amazes me every time I shoot it for groups. If I focus like I should, 18 yard pasters are easy. I have never had a 40 that was this accurate and flawless functioning. Great trigger from the factory is rare. I hate to sell it after the State match, but it will go to the classifieds after next Sunday.

Any reason why you will sell?

Going to open, I picked the pistol up new just for the NC Sectional. Getting older and my eyes are not as good as they used to be. Just a fact of life, I know. It is a amazing limited gun for sure, STI hit a home run on this one. Wish I could keep it, but can't run both.

I got to run a 9mm Limited at the NRA World Shooting Championship last week. For a "factory" pistol its great, but for the price I'd rather have my CK.

Which CK do you have?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

I got to run a 9mm Limited at the NRA World Shooting Championship last week. For a "factory" pistol its great, but for the price I'd rather have my CK.

Which CK do you have?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

CK Arms Thunder Series in 9mm (my 3 Gun pistol)

11822949_985303781520483_648741288859382