Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1.5-6x burris on the way, need a mount recommendation

barrysuperhawk

Another optics noob question, sorry.

I've got a 1.5-6x Burris Mtac on the way, and I need to pick up a one piece mount for it.

I actually prefer a non QR mount because less moving parts, less protrusions, I am not running BUIS, so no need to quickly remove.

So far, I have a cert for any warne mount that I could use, and either get a SKEL or a RAMP. Also, the Vortex Cantilever seems quite clean. Otherwise, I would like to stay somewhere above the NC star crap and while remaining below the SPHUR.

So my specific questions are:

#1 how much offset am I likely to need if I shoot NTCH (or close to it) or can I get by with a "regular" mount like the SKEL?

#2 since there seems to be as many varieties of mounts as AR rifles, please help me narrow down the "good" choices. I know I want a one piece (in 30mm), and the less knob or protrusions the better.

With a NTCH shooting style (like I also utilize) your gonna want the longest one you can get. I use and recommend both the Aero SPR and the Vortex extra extended. You may not end up needing all that offset but you can always just mount it further back. What you can't do is stretch a standard offset mount if it's not enough for you.

Edited by TonytheTiger

While I am partial to the JP scope mount, you mentioned the other 2 that float to the top and can't go wrong with those either (Warn and Vortex). I've used all 3. If you have a cert for the Warn.....your course is clear and don't look back. Honestly except for price.....I could not really tell which is actually as all 3 a super solid and allowed me to mount my scope to get the correct eye relief.

Tim

I ran the Burris mount for my first year in the sport. It worked fine......sorta. There was an incident at Blue Ridge in 2012 where my rifle case kinda made contact with the paring lot. Dang strap on the case let go and clunk. It didn't hit that hard and I though everything would be fine, plus we didn't have time to go to the zero range. Well long story short I tanked 2 stages before checking the rifle and it was 3 MOA low and left of zero. I re-zeroed it and never had trouble again the rest of the year, but never had faith in it after that. Replaced it with a Larue mount the following off season.

If you shoot NTCH the Warne mount might not work for you. It's a great mount, but I was unable to get the eye relief I needed so I had to sell mine.

I also have the Aero Extended mount and it's also a great mount. Nice smooth lines, super light, nice finish and machine work and has held zero all season. Unfortunately it still comes up a little short on eye relief. Of course I got mine right before they came out with the SPR profile which has more extension. I need to upgrade.

The Larue LT139 SPR-E is a great mount and if you ditch the quick release function can be had for about $180. Plus you get all the bonus goodies with a Larue mount, which doesn't add much value, but does make it kinda fun to open a package from them. Kinda hefty, but I don't think you could break one if you tried......well maybe if you tried really hard.

Edited by Shooter115

Aero Precision makes 3 mounts, regular, extended, and SPR. The SPR allows the furthest forward eye relief. I use that one. It is extremely light weight and solid, and is priced around the same as the SKEL. I had a RAMP, and it did not offer nearly enough forward eye relief for me.

The Burris reticle is a sort of love it or hate it thing. other than that the quality is pretty good I see it as a 80 percent of the quality for 50 percent of the price operation (numbers made up)

I like the reticle, and I like the quality for the price. I'm sure I might like a vortex or uso or s&b better but for the price... well let's just say I have $50 aimpoint clones that I am happy with so my tastes aren't that thick..