Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

the secret to recoil control?

3djedi

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CoC and various other forearm workouts aren't the best for grip strength, dead lifts are the perhaps the best thing. If you can't grip it, you can't dead lift it. This is using the DOH grip, not a mixed or hook. Also, thicker bars and deadlifts will help. Shrugs, RDLs, etc. (or anything holding the bar from that position) will also help more than dedicated forearms exercises. In addition, they'll add more mass to your body to help absorb the recoil.

I have this problem as well with recoil control, I am working up a really light load with 147 gr bullets barely making minor power factor and it has helped me with finding a grip that works and getting used to how it should feel when I really control the recoil, then going back to full power ammunition I find it easier to control. That video from the second post of this forum really helped me as well. I guess I thought I was gripping it high.

If my methodology is wrong please correct me as this is something I struggle with as well.

1. Proper technique

2. Hand strength that can choke out steers.

3. Heavy frame/barrel. (Note the "on no it isn't" flashlight/weight Bob runs on his Limited gun)

4. Proper load

5. Proper recoil spring (generally a lighter weight spring is flatter but harder in the hand. This is just a generality)

Roll your hands inward slightly and choke the gun high up on the frame. ...

Wow!!! I just tried gripping the gun that way and I think it's going to work. I'll try it at the range this weekend. I also noticed that the front sight didn't wiggle around as much as before.

In addition to grip pressure, make sure the weak hand is properly rolled over with index finger wedged hard under the trigger guard and base knuckle of thumb fitted into the notch created by the middle knuckle of the strong hand. This keeps the wrist as high as possible relative to the axis of recoil. Thumb rests on thumb. The heels of the hands should be in firm contact with each other at the back strap, with no air spaces between them.

Good recoil management comes from the combination of correct wrist angle, wrist pivot offset (the weak hand wrist is in front of the strong hand wrist), hand position relative to bore axis, grip pressure, proper arm extension and body mass position. Note that if your arms aren't extended enough (not locked at the elbows) the wrist offset hand position and grip pressure mechanical advantages will be diminished, resulting in greater muzzle flip.

• 2 weeks later...

for me, i saw the biggest improvement in my recoil control when i finally learned to LOCK FORWARD my supporting wrist. there should be no bend in that baby. if that means holding your supporting thumb way forward on the frame, then so be it.

i used to think the hands had to look pretty on the gun; now i just focus on locking that supporting hand forward and holding the trigger hand as high up on the tang as i can get.

Are you saying to completely lock out your elbows R.Elliot?

No, extended but not locked.

Both ends of the scale: If the elbows are locked, recoil energy goes to the wrists and the shoulders whereas if they are bent too much, the gun will bounce more and the tendency to pull the gun down to control recoil will be exacerbated. It's not a hard number or anything; you just have to observe what's happening with the gun in recoil and tweak your position to get the best overall result.

Some good starting points:

The natural-hang position of the arm, or the elbow extension you get when you let your arm hang loosely at your side.

Or...

Push the gun out to full lock-out (elbows fully extended), then just let the arms relax a bit and lock that position down.

I tried rotating my support hand wrist all the way forward today. Like the Bob Vogel video on page one of this thread. My thumb was almost to the end of the frame on my m&p9(I have huge hands). Muzzle flip was cut in half. I'll need to work on this for it to feel natural. But it's already an improvement.

Edited by hondakilla98

Are you saying to completely lock out your elbows R.Elliot?

no, you want to lock your wrist tendons not your elbows so they can act as shock absorbers ...

One thing I picked up from an on line tutorial was how the flexing action of the elbows affects what the recoil does to the gun. With the arms pushed straight out and the elbows pointed down, the gun will naturally flip up as the elbows flex in a vertical plane. By rotating the shoulders gently up in the direction of the ears, the elbows flex in a more horizontal plane and the gun comes back with less flip. When I remember to do this, I find I can get the sight back on target faster.

This technique was demonstrated with a small female shooter who couldn't man handle the gun with strength. The videos showed the differences very clearly

• 3 weeks later...

For me recoil management means a firm off hand grip that fills as much of the open grip as possible. When I open my weak hand my fingers aim 45 or so degrees down. My strong hand is as high up in the grip as possible. My thumbs are resting comfortably strong on weak aiming at the target. I am not in love with the death grip many people seem to advise because I just can't do it without thinking way too much about my grip and after a while my arm gets tired.

I suspect all of the advice given in this thread works for the person giving the advice and much of the advice given in this thread is inconsistent with other advice given. You need to figure out what works for you and then practice it enough that you can do what you need to do consisently. For me doing something consistently means not consciously thinking about it as I am doing it. At the moment I break a shot my mind is focused on other things.

f

I learned something a long time ago. Thinking takes time. Thinking about technique as you shoot is the enemy of shooting fast. Keep everything as simple as you can.

Edited by Bart Solo

You need upper body strength as well as strong hands.

I agree with the hands (which I read as having a string grip) but as far as upper body strength goes I don't think it's as important as having a good stance. Anyone weighing 120lbs + should have enough mass to manage recoil adequately. Get low, get wide, bend at the hips and grip the piss outta that thing!

Allow me to preface my response by noting that i am by no measure an expert...that said i really struggled with recoil sensitivity. So much so that the concept of shooting more than one magazine through a 1911 was one that i did not easily under take.

I spoke with Mr. Bruce Gray at length about this and encorporated some of his suggestions (i hope i'm not mistating his directions...but this seems to work for me).

Perhaps most importantly is coming to terms with accepting the fact that the pistol will recoil and pivot...so i strive to jiust have the front sight pin rise up from the notch and fall back inline....imparting no or as little lateral forces as possible to this natural arc.

I grip firmly but not with a death grip. My fingers do not blanche on grasping the pistol but its tight. I do allow my elbows to bend and absorb some of the recoil. Another aspect of the grip that seemed to yield a significant improvement for me was not only gripping very high up on the grip but also focusing an effort at pressing my dominant first web space into the bottom of the beavertail. With my non dominant index finger i press up into the bottom of the trigger guard.

I hope some of these suggestions might help you as well.

Edited by wanttolearn