dezz

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<<< wouldn't it be easier to just go shoot USPSA >>>

Since we are members in good standing and active supporters of IDPA, and we enjoy the discussion, we feel we are entitled to it. Why are you so annoyed that people want to talk about IDPA?

Edited by Bob Hostetter

Of my local clubs my favorite match is one where the MD creates a stage and the stage procedure say "engage all targets within IDPA rules" It lets each shooter apply their understanding of the rules to the stage. The winners of these stages are not only some of the best shooter, but they have to know the rules and come up with a stage plan within the rules.

I would love to see more MDs take this approach, not every stage needs to be scripted. If you are going to play the game you should know the rules.

Edited by Woodsk

Of my local clubs my favorite match is one where the MD creates a stage and the stage procedure say "engage all targets within IDPA rules" It lets each shooter apply their understanding of the rules to the stage. The winners of these stages are not only some of the best shooter, but they have to know the rules and come up with a stage plan within the rules.

I would love to see more MDs take this approach, not every stage needs to be scripted. If you are going to play the game you should know the rules.

I've strived for that, but I find that there is such a steady influx of newbies that don't know the rules, that these types of stages/stage descriptions either...

A: end up as a PE festival if the SO does his job or

B: end up with few or zero PE's being called if the SO is timid or uncertain.

Ugh.

Edited by Steve Koski

How many Front Sight articles have revolved around USPSA shooters being hard on newbs, especially for not knowing the rules? It has become almost cliche, and I have seen it many times myself.. A common situation is to have a USPSA veteran, sometimes rule book in hand, berate an RO for not jumping on the newb about this or that rule that had nothing to do with safety. And of course the newb is just trying to keep up with all that is going on, and just maybe have some fun in the process. This sort of scene turns my stomach. Having said that, it is my experience that such bad mouth pieces for our sport (the USPSA side of things) are very far from the norm.

After having taken some time off from both IDPA and USPSA I showed back up these last few months and am sorely disappointed with the IDPA changes. I'm not talking about the rule changes alone, but the way the rules have affected the shooters. While I think some of the new rules fly in the face of good defensive practice (yup, I'm another person with an opinion), I have been shocked by the number of people running up to me to offer warnings about how I am breaking the rules, and how the RO let me off easy. I have had to listen to multiple people yakking at me all at the same time, and all this before the scoring is even begun. And a few times the yakkers suddenly left me alone to start arguing among themselves. I was drawn to IDPA as a means of working with my concealed carry rig (much more practical than the USPSA, I feel) and for introducing new shooters as the equipment is minimal in comparison to most USPSA shooting.

I have long complained that the USPSA is anything but practical, but it does allow the shooter to find their own way of solving the course, to their betterment of detriment. It is this process of thought that it seems has become abhorrent to the IDPA. But the need to think through an approach to targets has become the most stimulating aspect of pistol shooting for me. This seems like an essential defensive skill. The opposite is what the IDPA has adopted; the need to pre-define every step of the course and enforce has been adopted by the majority of a very vocal peanut gallery. As such I find myself looking at my shooting calendar and wondering if I should keep or delete IDPA matches from it.

Moses PTC, define practical pistol shooting. There is no definition, I hear this argument all the time. I don't think spending 500 bucks and shooting at police silouette targets in a "tactical" training class is practical shooting. I don't even think all Simunitions training is practical shooting. That's my opinion and its going to differ from yours, and IDPA HQ's, and USPSA HQ's.

How many Front Sight articles have revolved around USPSA shooters being hard on newbs, especially for not knowing the rules? It has become almost cliche, and I have seen it many times myself.. A common situation is to have a USPSA veteran, sometimes rule book in hand, berate an RO for not jumping on the newb about this or that rule that had nothing to do with safety.

Wow. I have never seen such a thing. I guess folks must be nicer around here.

I am relatively new action pistol shooter, and I just returned from my second club match under the new rules ( I have about 15 matches under the old rules). I had a good time no PEs, the COF was clear but challenged your skills. There were no big arguments only some reminders to reload from cover unless you go to slide lock in the open. The match was full and everyone had a good attitude, I did not hear much bitching at all (I did hear a lot of that at a regional).

I also joined USPSA and went to a few local club matches in 2013, I told some of the guys in my USPSA squad I shoot IDPA and I was loudly told IDPA "sucks". I kept my mouth shut after that but I have noted that many of the USPSA guys I meet seem to very vocal about their hate of IDPA, I do not see it the other way around. I'm going to shoot both but so far I have enjoyed the IDPA matches more than USPSA, IDPA makes me think harder about what I am going to do, I enjoy that. I'll just stay away from the haters and enjoy myself.

Whomever said USPSA RO's are merely timer stands is one ignorant character. They do plenty.

There are unfortunately, haters in both camps. When I started running USPSA matches at my home club the USPSA old guard made note if my IDPA affiliations and declared I was a "spy". LOL

There are jerks everywhere.

Ted,

Outside of safety, what else are RO's in USPSA paying attention to on the clock?

Fault lines

Shots through hard cover

Failure to engage

What else?

And then there is all of the target scoring stuff after the shooting is over.

Thanks,

That's because once you cross the pond....you begin to enjoy the unique problem solving aspect of practical shooting that USPSA provides. It's always more "fun" to figure things out on your own then to be "spoon fed" what to do by someone else.

Not all stage designers tell shooters what to do. Some just say things like "Take out the bad guys" and you have to figure out how to best shoot the stage.

I think a lot of the diretion in IDPA stages is to help prevent shooters from getting PEs.

My experiences are the same, IDPA tells the shooters exactly how it must be done, either verbally or by penalty. USPSA on the other hand expects you to think, and rewards you for trying to find the best way. Most of the time IDPA SO's have suggested, "just take out the bad guys" they took great pleasure in telling me, "oop's you can't do it that way, here's your penalties".

Since the change in the rule book about how the SO must point out each position of cover they really can't do the whole take out the bad guys briefings anymore.

Whomever said USPSA RO's are merely timer stands is one ignorant character. They do plenty.

There are unfortunately, haters in both camps. When I started running USPSA matches at my home club the USPSA old guard made note if my IDPA affiliations and declared I was a "spy". LOL

There are jerks everywhere.

Did they outlaw video during USPSA matches too? Since you IDPA Spooks could be surfing you tube to spy lol.

I've noticed a change in IDPA the past two years. I'm not sure it's foolishness but the Admin is less friendly and understanding in my opinion. I've been a loyal member since the beginning as a SO, and SO instructor. Last year when I needed some special consideration from HQ, it didn't happen and it makes me shake my head. I'll continue to shoot both shooting sports but I'll not do any extra for IDPA anymore. Probably shot in my last Nationals.

This weekend I shot my first IDPA match in quite a while, and the first under the new rules. It really wasn't much different from any other IDPA match I shot before, except that I could shoot an extra round at a target and not get accused of round dumping. The one procedural I got was for forgetting tactical sequence (too much USPSA ;^D). The flat footed reload thing only caught me because I did it deliberately, even though I didn't have to. Most experienced shooters just stay partially loaded and do an emergency reload from slidelock at the next position, same tactic as always.

I had fun shooting in good company in fine weather. What more could I ask for? If I want a different flavor ice cream, next week I'll shoot another discipline. What matters to me is what I enjoy doing, not what others don't.

Most experienced shooters just stay partially loaded and do an emergency reload from slidelock at the next position, same tactic as always.

This is a thread drift but I was just asking someone about this in a PM. Especially now given the new reloading rules do you find that most shooters performing emergency reloads the majority of the time?

In a tactically perfect world I would prefer to leave cover fully charged which would require a setup for a flat-footed reload with retention on the clock. I have to think that this will almost always take longer than the emergency reload in front of a target array.

This is a thread drift but I was just asking someone about this in a PM. Especially now given the new reloading rules do you find that most shooters performing emergency reloads the majority of the time?

What I have noticed is that when I am in the open I am usually moving, if I can dump a few extra rounds and go to slide lock I will and reload in the open. I usually fire a couple of extra rounds anyway when I am on the move. Otherwise I just go to the next postion and reload there.

I have found that most of the gamers in my club will only go to slide lock in the open when it benefits them. Otherwise they will round dump and reload where it lessens the stop and go while engaging.