Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and the foolishness

dezz

Jealousy an irrational emotion with little to no basis in fact. If you enjoy shooting and/with movement, USPSA and IDPA are damned fine games. Taking either too seriously (unless you are a Dave Sevigney, Rob Lathem, Jerry Miculek or some other shooter with more than just a passing interest in having some fun) is done at the individual shooters peril.

I'm certainly not foolish enough to think all shooters in USPSA would embrace the idiocincratic nature of IDPA as would IDPA shooters embrace the idiocincratic nature of USPSA. What amazes me is that, after all these years, the disenchanted from both camps (IDPA/USPSA) have not created some other game that addresses the complaints present in both camps, with the potential to rival the memberships of these two games.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been kinda getting this feeling lately that some former Top Shot contestants especially the ones who were "Tier 1 Operators" prior to getting on the show are working on something.

These guys are younger and more in tune with the 20 somethings. Plus at least they haven't upset their prospective audience/customers with comments like "you all are just a bunch of dirt shooting printer repairman!"

Jealousy an irrational emotion with little to no basis in fact. If you enjoy shooting and/with movement, USPSA and IDPA are damned fine games. Taking either too seriously (unless you are a Dave Sevigney, Rob Lathem, Jerry Miculek or some other shooter with more than just a passing interest in having some fun) is done at the individual shooters peril.

I'm certainly not foolish enough to think all shooters in USPSA would embrace the idiocincratic nature of IDPA as would IDPA shooters embrace the idiocincratic nature of USPSA. What amazes me is that, after all these years, the disenchanted from both camps (IDPA/USPSA) have not created some other game that addresses the complaints present in both camps, with the potential to rival the memberships of these two games.

Actually Tom , I did, just over 3 years ago. It's called ZSA, it was formed for new shooters to SAFELY get into competitive shooting while having FUN. While we cater to the newer shooters, our matches are attended by USPSA "M"'s and "GM"'s all the time.

"you all are just a bunch of dirt shooting printer repairman!"

That is cool, hadn't ever heard or seen it before. Out of wild curiosity, who was referring to who ???

That was Larry Vickers, a former Delta guy, and he was referring to all of us who shoot at paper or compete who have never been in combat.

I still have a T-shirt or two around here with this on the back:

33387494-CA77-4CFF-8DB1-565588A7419A-127

I don't like all the rules, but I really like some of the people I shoot IDPA with. For that reason alone I will still shoot IDPA and abide by the rules, just as I have to abide by the rules of any other sport I choose to play.

Every game has its problems and "less liked" rules. As my Drill Instructor used to say; You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. At least here you have the choice of NOT doing it at all.

Its just a game with rules, same as any other game with rules. I will not let one or two rules I don't agree with spoil the great times I have competing with friends at the range.

Yep!

I've been kinda getting this feeling lately that some former Top Shot contestants especially the ones who were "Tier 1 Operators" prior to getting on the show are working on something.

These guys are younger and more in tune with the 20 somethings. Plus at least they haven't upset their prospective audience/customers with comments like "you all are just a bunch of dirt shooting printer repairman!"

Is this how 3 Gun Nation started up?

Well ,there are other games out there...

http://cqtas.net

And rules..

http://cqtas.net/files/CQTAS.pdf

That actually sounds pretty fun to me! I got to reading the rules though, and am very confused per "Handgun Gear" under "Load Out" Rules 7 and 8.....

"7. No 'sternum or chest' mounted holsters on tactical vests or plate/armor carriers at any angle."

"8. Handgun holsters may be mounted to tactical vests or plate/armor carriers as long as they adhere to the angle and placement restrictions."

Aren't those two rules directly contradictory? The only plate carrier holsters I have seen are chest mounted....

I apologize for the thread drift!

"you all are just a bunch of dirt shooting printer repairman!"

That is cool, hadn't ever heard or seen it before. Out of wild curiosity, who was referring to who ???

That was Larry Vickers, a former Delta guy, and he was referring to all of us who shoot at paper or compete who have never been in combat.

I still have a T-shirt or two around here with this on the back:

33387494-CA77-4CFF-8DB1-565588A7419A-127

Operative word there being former. When you stop being a paid, professional face shooter, you really need to take off the hat. :(

Any of you young whippersnappers recall the TSA and IDSA (in Texas, Tom C) that were going to set things right a few years ago?

The CQTAS strongly resembles the three gun outlaw shoots hereabouts with a strong element of CAS.

USPSA doesn't get so much complaining because the debate between Gamesmen and Martial Artists was pretty much over with 30 years ago. The Gamesmen won.

Is this how 3 Gun Nation started up?

No.

That's because once you cross the pond....you begin to enjoy the unique problem solving aspect of practical shooting that USPSA provides. It's always more "fun" to figure things out on your own then to be "spoon fed" what to do by someone else.

Not all stage designers tell shooters what to do. Some just say things like "Take out the bad guys" and you have to figure out how to best shoot the stage.

I think a lot of the diretion in IDPA stages is to help prevent shooters from getting PEs.

That's because once you cross the pond....you begin to enjoy the unique problem solving aspect of practical shooting that USPSA provides. It's always more "fun" to figure things out on your own then to be "spoon fed" what to do by someone else.

Not all stage designers tell shooters what to do. Some just say things like "Take out the bad guys" and you have to figure out how to best shoot the stage.

I think a lot of the diretion in IDPA stages is to help prevent shooters from getting PEs.

Funny, I've gotten the impression that in far too many cases, it's the CoF designer or SO's way of telling the shooters how it "should" be done in their opinion. :(

My experiences are the same, IDPA tells the shooters exactly how it must be done, either verbally or by penalty. USPSA on the other hand expects you to think, and rewards you for trying to find the best way. Most of the time IDPA SO's have suggested, "just take out the bad guys" they took great pleasure in telling me, "oop's you can't do it that way, here's your penalties".

Edited by Bob Hostetter

My experiences are the same, IDPA tells the shooters exactly how it must be done, either verbally or by penalty. USPSA on the other hand expects you to think, and rewards you for trying to find the best way. Most of the time IDPA SO's have suggested, "just take out the bad guys" they took great pleasure in telling me, "oop's you can't do it that way, here's your penalties".

Exactly my point. Say the first part of the CoF says: "Take out T1-T3, then advance to P2 and take out T4-T5". T4-T5 may be closer / easier to shoot, but if you advance to P2 then you expose yourself to T1-T3 and earn a penalty.

USPSA doesn't have all the PEs that IDPA does. I think many IDPA stages are written to prevent unnecessary PEs, which would just piss people off - especially new shooters.

Wouldn't it be easier to just go shoot USPSA and forget about IDPA instead of spending all this time 'discussing' things that are not going to change for the better? I'm sure that Al Gore is very happy that you all are spending so much of your precious time on his Internet but I'm just going to the range to go shoot ..... :)

Edited by Nimitz