Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA and the foolishness

dezz

I'm president of our local non-affiliated IDPA club. We have 3 new SO's that just got out of the SO school, and are pushing more toward legitimization of our area matches.

There has been some confusion, and a little frustration. Honestly there have been times I thought about sitting down completely rewriting the IDPA rulebook. Simplifying it, and getting rid of all non-safety related, nit picking technical rules. Just for our local club anyway. Just so we would spend less time arguing and more time shooting.

The new rule book release and its updates have really throw a wrench into things. But all in all, shooters are still showing up and having fun. And thats kinda the point. As long as everyone's having fun.

It took me a long time to just accept that IDPA wasn't USPSA. To take it for what it is, and just enjoy it. After all, the rules make the game. They may not make sense, but don't try to look at them that way. Just look at them as the rules of the game, and its just that. A game.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm president of our local non-affiliated IDPA club.

Your what? Either you are or you aren't.

IDPA or not IDPA.

Read the whole sentence: "I'm president of our local non-affiliated IDPA club. We have 3 new SO's that just got out of the SO school, and are pushing more toward legitimization of our area matches..."

You do know that a club cannot affiliate until it has a certified SO, right?

I've followed this thread with interest. I certainly hope that if some continue to behave in opposition to the guidelines and direction clearly provided by the Administration and Moderator Team members, that a decision is NOT made to eliminate the IDPA category as a legitimate thread!

There are many forum members who enjoy IDPA competition. They don't believe it is a perfect sport, but they enjoy it immensely. Please don't punish them by shutting down the IDPA category because others insist on not following rules or provided guidelines.

A much, much better solution would be to ban those who refuse to follow rules and guidelines from participation on this forum.

I can't follow the thought process being demonstrated by some:

They hate the rules

They want the sport to be like another sport they like much better

They don't enjoy competing in the events because of the rules

There is a very simple solution to avoiding all that anger, discontent, and stress:

Work like an adult within the system to change it OR don't participate.

But please stop making it unpleasant for those of us who do like the sport, even if there are opportunities to improve.

Thanks!

Flat footed mag reloads are just dumb, especially for a sport that purports to "simulate real life scenarios".

I think many of the posters here on this forum tried once already to work within the system to change the rules. All that seems to have accomplished was the folks on these so called Tiger Teams were recognized as the inner circle or inner clique.

I will never understand these threads.

If you don't like the rules don't play the game. All games have rules, not all rules are liked by the participants. I don't like the infield fly rule that doesn't mean baseball is crap, I just don't like that rule.

Based on the new rule book and the attitude of the organization as a whole I will be shooting less IDPA and focusing on other games. But there are still two IDPA matches I will shoot. One I help run and the MD designs challenging stages that make you think about the rules and how to best shoot the stage within them. The other is a small match with fast paced up close stages, the main reason I shoot that one is my wife and daughter like to shoot it as well, and you get a good lunch with your match fee.

But for me sanctioned matches are out. the costs are just to high (in my area at least) for what you get, as well as the current message from IDPA that their game should not be about competition.

So bottom line is I like IDPA a bit less than I did, so I will shoot it less. Seems pretty simple to me.

I've followed this thread with interest. I certainly hope that if some continue to behave in opposition to the guidelines and direction clearly provided by the Administration and Moderator Team members, that a decision is NOT made to eliminate the IDPA category as a legitimate thread!

There are many forum members who enjoy IDPA competition. They don't believe it is a perfect sport, but they enjoy it immensely. Please don't punish them by shutting down the IDPA category because others insist on not following rules or provided guidelines.

A much, much better solution would be to ban those who refuse to follow rules and guidelines from participation on this forum.

I can't follow the thought process being demonstrated by some:

They hate the rules

They want the sport to be like another sport they like much better

They don't enjoy competing in the events because of the rules

There is a very simple solution to avoiding all that anger, discontent, and stress:

Work like an adult within the system to change it OR don't participate.

But please stop making it unpleasant for those of us who do like the sport, even if there are opportunities to improve.

Thanks!

Well said! Thanks.

I don't like all the rules, but I really like some of the people I shoot IDPA with. For that reason alone I will still shoot IDPA and abide by the rules, just as I have to abide by the rules of any other sport I choose to play.

Every game has its problems and "less liked" rules. As my Drill Instructor used to say; You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. At least here you have the choice of NOT doing it at all.

Its just a game with rules, same as any other game with rules. I will not let one or two rules I don't agree with spoil the great times I have competing with friends at the range.

Why the criticism of IDPA rules? I can't speak for others but I think part of the cause might be that the game itself and being able to compete with carry gear is a really cool idea but a few rules (and a serious mentality) seem to be focused solely on trying to hobbling good shooters in nonsensical ways. So, maybe it's primarily criticism out of frustration for what it could be versus what it is.

IDPA has chosen a different path with their rules. It was a path I didn't agree with, so I left the sport.

Those that stick around and shoot it...enjoy !

There is nothing wrong with an honest discussion of where the sport has been and where it's going....to silence that discussion is a mistake and a BIG part of why IDPA is experiencing the loss of some members who enjoyed and supported the sport.

The #1 problem with adopting "defensive pistolcraft" centric rules as the tactics used are vast in scope and not all "experts" in the field agree on a common theme sans the "flat footed reload" technique. In the long run...what makes sense to some makes no sense to others. Other shooting sports do not have this problem as USPSA is designed around unique problem solving skills and the Steel Challenge/Bianchi Cup formats spell out rather clearly what you need to do and how.

Lastly..when you have to perform an activity as unique and personal as "defensive pistolcraft" has developed into over the past 10 plus years, the individual inteperation of the existing rules by the SO is as varying in scope as the technique itself. What one SO considers "good to go" is another SO's "procedural penalty."

Those that push the envelope (competitive minded shooters) are labled as "gamers." Gamers and gaming is discouraged...unless you are a known entity with a sponsor that gives generously to IDPA then for some reason "gaming: is overlooked.

These are honest assessments ... not attempts to "bash" and an organization and IDPA should be wiling to at the very least understand how their individual and collective policies and procedures effect the membership and others views of the organization as a whole.

Ask yourself the following question...how many "suggestions" offered by the membership during the draft rulebook crafting process were actually considered let alone utilized by IDPA ?

Edited by Chuck D

here is how i see it.

in uspsa if i make a mistake and collect some penalties, I get some compassion or light teasing.

in idpa if i make a mistake and collect some penalties, i get accused of gaming/ cheating. and threatend with a ftdr

just give me my penalties and lets rock on..

Funny how you don't see threads in the uspsa shooting forum about how people who also shoot idpa hate uspsa and how dumb it is........

That's because once you cross the pond....you begin to enjoy the unique problem solving aspect of practical shooting that USPSA provides. It's always more "fun" to figure things out on your own then to be "spoon fed" what to do by someone else.

Funny how you don't see threads in the uspsa shooting forum about how people who also shoot idpa hate uspsa and how dumb it is........

I think many/most IDPA shooters are content with the rules and just want to shoot and have fun. That seems to irritate the "other side of the pond"...LOL

Edited by BillR1

I have found that what irritates the "other side of the pond" is the way out of portion sensitivity IDPA fans have for any suggestion that IDPA isn't perfect. USPSA shooters are constantly discussing the good and the bad of USPSA without feelings getting hurt or ego's bruised. But the smallest suggestion that IDPA is not perfect set's off a wave of protest from it's true believers.

Kinda reminds me of Scientology certain religions.

Edited by Bob Hostetter

I have found that what irritates the "other side of the pond" is the way out of portion sensitivity IDPA fans have for any suggestion that IDPA isn't perfect. USPSA shooters are constantly discussing the good and the bad of USPSA without feelings getting hurt or ego's bruised. But the smallest suggestion that IDPA is not perfect set's off a wave of protest from it's true believers.

Kinda reminds me of Scientology certain religions.

This!

I think many/most IDPA shooters are content with the rules and just want to shoot and have fun. That seems to irritate the "other side of the pond"...LOL

I wish you and yours the best of luck... ;)

Edited by Chuck D

I think many/most IDPA don't know the rules. But, you are right they just want to have fun.

And until they start getting PE's at sanctioned matches they wont care about the rules.(And that's not a cheap way to learn) When you start wanting to do better at the game is when people start to have issue with the rules that seem to change from SO to SO. Then you try USPSA, and never look back.

I think many/most IDPA don't know the rules. But, you are right they just want to have fun.

And until they start getting PE's at sanctioned matches they wont care about the rules.(And that's not a cheap way to learn) When you start wanting to do better at the game is when people start to have issue with the rules that seem to change from SO to SO. Then you try USPSA, and never look back.

B)

I have been told by a few IDPA shooters that the USPSA RO's are just clock stands. I tend to agree, as long as you stay in the COF, shoot at all the targets, don't run around with your finger on the trigger, don't point the gun where you are not supposed to, we pretty much watch you shoot, write down the time, and score the targets.

Just doesn't leave a lot of room for subjectivity which is just the way I like it.

Edited by ktm300