Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First gun you competed with

CowToes

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started with a single stack government model. I chose this pistol because basically there was nothing else. ,No Para's, no STI/SV's, no M&P's, Glocks were still a couple of years out, I don't think the .40S&W had been invented yet. I think there were 2 divisions unlimited and limited not sure its been so long ago. Shot a little of everything since then but still prefer SSTK

It's a old colt top end and a bull m5 frame. Used it for my first match ever and the front sight fell off on the last stage. Magwell and grip tape along with fiber front sight are kinda new. I still use it for steel today it's a great pistol. 9mm.

post-25417-0-86024800-1380830535_thumb.j

Edited by Noah my boy

A lot of Glocks out there. I just never could should Polymer frames very well.

It just was the cheapest hand gun to get over here, for a poor student, that´s why.

I sold it two years later and never looked back.

B)

IMGP3081.jpg

Long gone but it had no issues. I need to get another setup finished I have parts of a bunch of different options but nothing complete.

I just learned about Oxford, I am going to have to check it out in the future very close.

Here is a picture of some pieces from "My First IPSC Rig."

Gun - Refurbished DCM gun from around 1967 (all correct P/Ns). Also shot a Colt Gold Cup, but was kind of freaked out about banging that gun around and scratching it so I used this beater mostly.

Holster - My first one was a nylon fabric no-name job that had to be duct taped tighter to make sure the gun didn't spit out of the holster like a watermelon seed during the holster retention test. After a few months of shooting IPSC matches a fellow shooter took pity on me and sold me that Davis in the picture for $15 as he was getting a new Ernie Hill rig. The Davis was too long for the stock 5" gun, but it held tight and I felt like I was the cat's pajamas sporting it. Used it for a while with my first compensated .45 too, but jumped to Safariland when the Final Option came out.

Mag holders - old GI pouch with kleenex in the bottom get the mags to stand taller out of the pouch, and duct taped in all the right places to avoid mag loss while running, jumping, crawling, whatever. After a while I splurged and got a couple of Safariland double pouches, but continued to use that old GI canvas job on the back of the belt for the loading mag/extra mag. It was just so ghetto looking I had to keep it as a memento.

Belt - Whatever I was wearing to hold my levi jeans up that day

Shirt - Tee Shirt from Led Zepplin 1977 concert (actually saw them at the Oakland Coliseum), Jethro Tull, Blind Faith, etc. were my favorites, but any old mangy Tee shirt would do.

And of course the bitchin' red base pads were just plain racey.

The funny thing is that this rig usually wasn't the rattiest rig at the match, and ended up making C class and did pretty well with it.

I've had better rigs since, but am not sure that any brought me more wonder and unfettered joy. :cheers:

post-9934-0-62324400-1380847921_thumb.jp

Edited by Bamboo

Walther p99 9mm for a year or so in steel and IDPA. Thought it was a hoot until I shot my first uspsa match and the gun was still hot after the hour drive home. Gun still sits here ready at home, but I found out that "QA" 9 pound trigger and shorty sight length was far from ideal.

Glock 35 with arredondo base pads, CR Speed rig, factory ammunition .Won limited division in my first match! I remember being really nervous and my hands were sooo sweaty. Its funny I will watch some of the old footage of me shooting that gun, and I could see all the mistakes I was making at that time, and it is very humbling, knowing were I started from to where I am today. great topic!

Here is a picture of some pieces from "My First IPSC Rig."

Gun - Refurbished DCM gun from around 1967 (all correct P/Ns). Also shot a Colt Gold Cup, but was kind of freaked out about banging that gun around and scratching it so I used this beater mostly.

Holster - My first one was a nylon fabric no-name job that had to be duct taped tighter to make sure the gun didn't spit out of the holster like a watermelon seed during the holster retention test. After a few months of shooting IPSC matches a fellow shooter took pity on me and sold me that Davis in the picture for $15 as he was getting a new Ernie Hill rig. The Davis was too long for the stock 5" gun, but it held tight and I felt like I was the cat's pajamas sporting it. Used it for a while with my first compensated .45 too, but jumped to Safariland when the Final Option came out.

Mag holders - old GI pouch with kleenex in the bottom get the mags to stand taller out of the pouch, and duct taped in all the right places to avoid mag loss while running, jumping, crawling, whatever. After a while I splurged and got a couple of Safariland double pouches, but continued to use that old GI canvas job on the back of the belt for the loading mag/extra mag. It was just so ghetto looking I had to keep it as a memento.

Belt - Whatever I was wearing to hold my levi jeans up that day

Shirt - Tee Shirt from Led Zepplin 1977 concert (actually saw them at the Oakland Coliseum), Jethro Tull, Blind Faith, etc. were my favorites, but any old mangy Tee shirt would do.

And of course the bitchin' red base pads were just plain racey.

The funny thing is that this rig usually wasn't the rattiest rig at the match, and ended up making C class and did pretty well with it.

I've had better rigs since, but am not sure that any brought me more wonder and unfettered joy. :cheers:

A couple years ago I had a Davis "Phoenix" holster made since I sold my original and always regretted it.

also made a Tull concert around that time North sea oil tour if I remember correctly (which I probably don't)