Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First gun you competed with

CowToes

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No pic, but I shot my first USPSA match in th early 90's with a Springfield .38Sooper. It had iron sights and a 2 port comp. I put some mileage on that baby.

The slide cracked but the frame is being made into a backup SS gun.

First IDPA match was 2003, shooting a S&W M19-3 2.5-inch 357 with medium handloads and my 175gr lswc cast bullets. Shot that for a year, regularly taking most accurate shooter of the match with it.

Switched to a S&W 66-2 3-inch 357 magnum shooting the same load and also lighter 38 special loads. Shot that for a year.

Then started shooting CDP with a couple 3-inch 1911s, a Kimber and a Colt. Shot those for another year.

Mind you, I was regularly carrying all of those pistols as daily CCW.

Met some guys at the matches were told me that I was accurate but slow (they were right) and that I needed to shoot USPSA to get faster.

I said okay, and started shooting Limited 10 with my Les Baer PMII. I was IMMEDIATELY HOOKED. I then moved to SS, This year I am shooting production and building a Limited gun for future use. I never looked back!

There aren't many pictures in this Gallery thread! :sight:
IMG_20130810_072003_930_zps6c0dd420.jpg

Steyr LP1 - 10M Air Pistol (maybe 4.5PF doesn't cut it around here :blush: )

First firearm:

IMG_20130810_072136_585_zpsc8af20c7.jpg

Walther OSP 2000 - 25M Rapid Fire Pistol (this ported .22 short only made 16.2PF :roflol: )

Fast forward 15 years to my first USPSA pistol:

TacticalSportSecondTimeOut.jpg

CZ 75 Tactical Sport .40 - What a fine pistol! :cheers:

Edited by kneelingatlas

Guess I should read title closer I assumed first IPSC/IDPA match. First pistol I used in a competitive match was a 6" Colt Python with HKS speedloaders in PPC matches, did pretty well with the Python. I think was classified as an expert. my scores would range from the high 1200's to the mid 1300's if I remember correctly

post-28015-0-73756000-1380918749_thumb.j

The gun is a Kimber Custom Defender. Its the first pistol I ever owned. A friend and I went to a steel challenge match and had to share mags so we wouldn't hold things up. We both shot some local outlaw stuff for awhile after that and one February we were jonesing to shoot and found a place that was having a USPSA match. My first rig was 3 mismatched double mag pouches and a bladetech kydex holster on my work belt. I kept two more mags in my back pocket just in case. We got lost getting to the match and it started snowing and sleeting on the 3rd of 6 stages. I loved every minute of it.

That pic is an old one and probably how the gun was set up when I started. I still have the gun but I only shoot it once or twice a year just to blow the dust off of it.

Actually the title says first "Gun"

In that case, I first ever competed in a skeet match when i was 8 years old with a 28" Remington 870 express. You heard that right, 8 years old with a 12 guage :P

Like a glock, I think we all know what an 870 looks like. I still have the gun but it now wears an 18" barrel and a pistol grip. lol

Used a 50 year old S&W .38 Special Combat Masterpiece. 4" bbl. My original carry gun.

Had a pocket full of speedloaders.

First stage I shot was El Presidente and fumbled the reload so badly that I deposited 5 out of 6 cartridges on the ground. Fired the one that made it to the cylinder. Zeroed the stage, of course.

And loved every second of it.

First stage I shot was El Presidente and fumbled the reload so badly that I deposited 5 out of 6 cartridges on the ground. Fired the one that made it to the cylinder. Zeroed the stage, of course.

And loved every second of it.

LOL, that´s absolutely great!

I know exactly what you are talking about, you made my day!

:roflol::cheers:

Springfield XD Subcompact 9mm (3" barrel)

Shot it in Limited - minor power factor of course ;)

Still remember my first match: I was fast and didn't hit S$!T

Springfield_XD_Sub-Compact_3_342166.jpg

Holster: What came with the gun

Mag Pouch: The stupid V pouch that came with the gun

Only bought 1 extra 16 round mag.

The gun and rig only lasted a handful of matches before I stepped up to its bigger brother: XDm 5.25 with a proper rig.

Straight out of the box Gen 3 Glock 17. The only thing I did to it was remove the slide and wipe out the "gold" grease and apply some FP-10. Went and shot my first IDPA match that Saturday

My first match was shot with my wifes XD9 since all I had were revo's and a compact 1911. Used the factory gear and borrowed one mag to shoot Limited. I was just about as fast as the A class guys, but I didnt hit shit. It was a real eye opener for me. Finished dead last at about 6% of an A Limited shooter. Lol. Joined USPSA the next day.