Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Nationals - Back to Combined?

38SuperDub

The formal announcement of the dates has been posted on the USPSA web-site.

It does not appear that there will be a pre-match for the combined Nationals, but there is one for Single Stack and MultiGun.

(shameless plug #2)

For those that cannot do a week in Utah there will be the Indiana USPSA Championship Sept 12-14th, 18 stages, 375ish rounds

attachicon.gif581210_627196563967366_295451392_n.jpg

Shoot Friday PM/Saturday AM

or

Saturday PM/Sunday AM

Will there be a Chrono? :devil:

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The formal announcement of the dates has been posted on the USPSA web-site.

It does not appear that there will be a pre-match for the combined Nationals, but there is one for Single Stack and MultiGun.

(shameless plug #2)

For those that cannot do a week in Utah there will be the Indiana USPSA Championship Sept 12-14th, 18 stages, 375ish rounds

attachicon.gif581210_627196563967366_295451392_n.jpg

Shoot Friday PM/Saturday AM

or

Saturday PM/Sunday AM

Will there be a Chrono? :devil:

Why yes there will be a chrono ran by none other than Mr. Chrono Ken Skeeters........

Hell I have gone over Mr Skeeters chrono many many many times, twice I have gone 165.0, once loading a 165gr bullet, now that is good loading right there.

Only once before have I not made my declared power factor, Battle in the Bluegrass 3 years ago and I was shooting a different 1911 than I usually do and just barely missed it. When I got home and checked I was throwing 4.1grains of Clays vs the 4.3 that I normally load.

Another shameless plug:

It looks like the NC Section match is going to fall on the weekend between the USPSA nationals and the World Shoot. The dates aren't set in stone yet, but I'm reasonably confident the match will be that weekend.

Being relatively new to the sport, can you long time competitors comment on how well received a week long Nats has fared versus being able to take part over a weekend plus 2 or 3 workdays?

I agree a Nats that divides top shooters between divisions dilutes the field and therefore doesn't truly determine the champion. Of course the upside is that some French guy couldn't have the best score in multiple divisions in Our national championship.

Hard for me to believe they could fill all slots with common folk who are able to take off a week and spend six days in a hotel plus travel. But I may be way off. I would go if it was a long weekend, but could not consider it an option at 7-9 days.

Hope they reconsider and at least have a first half, last half format to better accommodate amateur shooters, as well as this would allow the multi division competitors the ability to shoot in more than one division if they have the ability to stay all week.

Edited by ttownracer

I wonder how many first-time, 2013 Prod Nationals shooters are going to 2014. If the 5-day schedule holds, then I'm not going. Time to allocate my funds to other interests/sports.

Seriously, not to hijack the thread, 2014 Indiana State will be badass and very close to Louisville. A lot less expensive as a stand alone match for those that can't spend the big bucks for a National, but still want big match flavor. Or, a nice high end quality tune up for those that can spend the big bucks for a national, but want that final big match taste before going.

I wonder how many first-time, 2013 Prod Nationals shooters are going to 2014. If the 5-day schedule holds, then I'm not going. Time to allocate my funds to other interests/sports.

Agreed.

And the awards banquet for all divisions, could it be done in 7 hours? Doubtful.

But half divisions shooting Sunday-Tues with Awards Tues night, followed by Thurs-Sat for balance of divisions and 2nd awards ceremony makes more sense to me on several levels, but I'm a noob who hasn't seen the entire picture before.

it's not like nationals are the only big fun match in the country. You can still enter area matches or battle in the bluegrass rather than taking up golf or shuffleboard.

• 2 months later...

I'd like to see the option to come out and shoot full days. Start Sunday, shoot 9 stages a day for 3 days and 3 on Wed, then head home. Or start Wed and shoot until Saturday. That way people who still work for a living can get away with only burning 3 or worst case 4 vacation days.

I personally can't see taking off an entire week; not to mention the additional couple of nights accomodations and eating out. This could shape up to be a $3000+ bill and that puts it out of a lot of shooter's reach. I think attendance will drop drastically this year.

Also, what are you going to do in the St. George area for five half-days while you're not shooting? Zion is cool for one half day if you haven't seen it yet. Otherwise? Get incredibly bored, that's what...

for those that don't mind Vegas there is a new range that is being set up for action gun shooting. they already do a lot of it already there. i am speaking of the pro gun club in boulder. 20 mins from the strip and in the middle of nowhere. its where the shot media shoot was held this year i think.

I went down there for a shoot last year and was very impressed with the facilty. Speaking to the guy that runs a lot of the shoots there , it seems like he and range would welcome the Nationals with open am and will make bay/facilites as needed.

look it up online.

Edited by Sandbagger123

The closest thing is people who say you can't get alcohol there. I've never had any problem at all drinking in St. George. Not sure where people are going that they can't find a drink? McDonalds?

Well, St. George could use a brewpub or two. And maybe a wine shop.

I'd like to see the option to come out and shoot full days. Start Sunday, shoot 9 stages a day for 3 days and 3 on Wed, then head home. Or start Wed and shoot until Saturday. That way people who still work for a living can get away with only burning 3 or worst case 4 vacation days.

I personally can't see taking off an entire week; not to mention the additional couple of nights accomodations and eating out. This could shape up to be a $3000+ bill and that puts it out of a lot of shooter's reach. I think attendance will drop drastically this year.

Also, what are you going to do in the St. George area for five half-days while you're not shooting? Zion is cool for one half day if you haven't seen it yet. Otherwise? Get incredibly bored, that's what...

The match is Thurs-Sunday for the main match. It's only four days, which is the same schedule you're proposing. Monday-Tuesday, staff match, Wed off to reset the stages, Thur-Sun Main Match. It's only one day longer than the previous Nationals matches with a lot more stages.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I shot the half-day schedule for the first time at L10/Open nats in st george this year. Of the extra time, I spent an hour or two looking at the next day's stages and watching a few shooters go through each one, doing some brief (30-50 rds ) live fire drills, doing some dry-fire drills, cleaning my pistol, going for a jog, stretching and relaxing in the hot tub, and getting a good night's sleep. I realyl didn't have anywhere near enough time to go to zion or anywhere else.

I don't mind shooting a full day of 10 or more stages either, however. But I think I learned more by only shooting half days.

I know I'm in the minority here, but for me the difference in a 2 day match and a 4 day match is the difference in shooting nationals or staying home. For those of us on the east coast, add 2 more days for travel, so making the nationals a 4 day match means a 6 day commitment. I don't get enough vacation days to justify burning 4 of them for 1 match, even if it is Nationals. I know that shooting 2 full days would not lead to my best performance, but I would rather do that than not get to shoot the match at all.

I know I'm in the minority here, but for me the difference in a 2 day match and a 4 day match is the difference in shooting nationals or staying home. For those of us on the east coast, add 2 more days for travel, so making the nationals a 4 day match means a 6 day commitment. I don't get enough vacation days to justify burning 4 of them for 1 match, even if it is Nationals. I know that shooting 2 full days would not lead to my best performance, but I would rather do that than not get to shoot the match at all.

If we make it two days, it only has the capacity for half the number of shooters. So instead of having 500-600 we can only have 250-300 for Nationals. That's the reason for a half day format. To double the number of shooters at the match while keeping environmental conditions as similar across the files as possible.

This has been done before in Bend, Or when Voigt was Pres. It worked then. I just don't get the complaining about a one day longer match. If you want to shoot a two day, shoot a section match. There are a lot if those out there. There are a lot of shooters who want the National Championship to be an event. Phil is trying to do that. Why not let him give it a chance for a yea?

My suggestion wasn't to make it a 2 day match for everyone, but couldn't there be a 2 day squad mixed in? (I guess you would need 2 of these squads. A thur-fri and a sat-sun.)

Did I miss something, but didn't Phil have in his last article in FS that it was a four day match and that they would be a two day staff, sponsors and for those that didn't get slots or able to do the longer match.