Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2014 Nationals - Back to Combined?

38SuperDub

Utah & Las Vegas is not centrally located. For years it has been in the West. Bring it to the east for a few years then center it.

seems centrally located to me ;)

I'm not opposed to the idea of a nationals back east somewhere, but it would be nice if it was in a state where the gun laws were as accomodating as utah.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Utah & Las Vegas is not centrally located. For years it has been in the West. Bring it to the east for a few years then center it.

I am geographically aware of Vegas and Utah's location, my point was instead of bringing it to the East coast for a few years since it hasn't been "fair", why not just centrally locate it next year.

I can see the attraction of Vegas and St George from a travel aspect, as flights to Vegas from all over the country can usually be had fairly cheap, compared to other destinations of similar distance.

Well, everyone can't take all that time off work. If we have it back on the east coast for a few years then Vegas or Utah for a year or two then back on the east coast for two rotate west east every two years that why everyone can play. I am aware of the coast of flights Vegas. Fly out of Vegas maybe?

Well, everyone can't take all that time off work. If we have it back on the east coast for a few years then Vegas or Utah for a year or two then back on the east coast for two rotate west east every two years that why everyone can play. I am aware of the coast of flights Vegas. Fly out of Vegas maybe?

Very well spoken. Having the Nationals out west for so many years has excluded a lot of members from shooting it.

Honestly, we should put the Nats in 3 locations....

East, West and Mid-West...

I think the goal here should be to get as many as want to go to the match.... The challenge I see is people that leave early won't get a chance to visit the prize table...

well 96/97 was fredericksburg, VA

2000 was Pasa Park

While Bill Noyes may kill me for saying this-- I think South River Gun Club could hold it. I think they have 24 bays--- FrontProof Fl may could do it..

It's just gonna be if someone tries to get it....

East Coast:

There's Frostproof, FL

Dorr, MI has about 30 bays

And then there's Rock Castle, KY where the hold the 3-Gun Nation

Talked to Manny. Frostproof has never expressed an interest in holding Nationals. Rockcastle is great for three gun but they have something like four or six pistol bays.

well 96/97 was fredericksburg, VA

2000 was Pasa Park

While Bill Noyes may kill me for saying this-- I think South River Gun Club could hold it. I think they have 24 bays--- FrontProof Fl may could do it..

It's just gonna be if someone tries to get it....

Weren't the 2000 Nats held in East Huntingdon PA, before the match moved out to PASA (Barry IL, midwest) for five (2001-2005) years?

That's where Jay from A6 and the other Area directors from the east along with Phil take over. we can express what area, it is up to Phil from that point. But we have plenty of ranges suited to host the Nationals.

The world shoot that's different. Lol 33 stages. That's a lot and USA has bays for days.

Sure the Nats have been in the east coast it's just been long enough that they should come back for a year or 2. Then somewhere else for a couple and so on. 4 years in one location or 1.5 hours away from that site is to much. Redistribution of the Nats. Same crap what's his face is slinging. Lol

Edited by a matt

It takes a lot more than a number of bays to host a Nats. There are a lot of clubs that could host a Nats. Heck I shot at one today. Finding a club willing to shut down for two weeks to build and put on a Nationals, local help and a dozen other factors. Not saying it can't be done. Just not as easy as some people make it seem. Personally if I was looking at an East coast venue I'd love to see what Peacemaker could come up with.

Everyone would like to have the nationals in their "Back Yard" so they don't have to travel to it. There are a ton of challenges to overcome in hosting a nationals and the location of it is only one check box on a long list of action items that needs to be completed.

In the end does it REALLY matter to the serious competitors where in the country the nationals is held? I am talking about the serious competitors who have a decent shot at winning a title or finishing in the top 16 of their division. For these guys the nationals could be held in Alaska in the middle of winter over 3 weeks and they would grind through it because they want to win.

I am not talking about the weekend fun shooters who like to go to the nationals for the experience of the event and realistically could care less of how they finish because they know they don't have a shot at winning. For these shooters it would make more sense for them to skip the nationals and use that same amount of vacation time and money to attend two or three other major events that are closer to them.

I consider myself a pretty serious competitor. But even I would choose not to attend the Nationals once the time off required or cost of travel expenses gets to a certain point. I would rather skip the nationals and attend a couple of other Area, Section, or State matches closer to me instead. I know I don't have a chance at winning a National Title so it does not make sense for me to overextend my resources to try and attend the Nationals. Yes, I may be "lucky" to have the nationals happen fairly close to where I live so it makes it easier for me to attend. But I still don't consider the nationals a "Required" match to attend every year. If they make the shooting schedule too long or expensive then I will skip it and put my time and money into another event.

For these guys the nationals could be held in Alaska in the middle of winter over 3 weeks and they would grind through it because they want to win.

Now we're talking. I'm sure we can arrange for the space for y'all up here, and Alaska is "equidistant", which is kind of like "centrally located".

That's where Jay from A6 and the other Area directors from the east along with Phil take over. we can express what area, it is up to Phil from that point. But we have plenty of ranges suited to host the Nationals.

The world shoot that's different. Lol 33 stages. That's a lot and USA has bays for days.

World Shoot will be 30 Stages. 5 days x 6 stages x 1/2 day format, 72 squads x 16 competitors, Pre-Match will be larger than normal for a WS upto 600 from the usual 100.

Cheers ....

The match is Thurs-Sunday for the main match. It's only four days, which is the same schedule you're proposing. Monday-Tuesday, staff match, Wed off to reset the stages, Thur-Sun Main Match. It's only one day longer than the previous Nationals matches with a lot more stages.

So is it safe to say registration will be on Wednesday?

• 1 month later...

I'd like to see the option to come out and shoot full days. Start Sunday, shoot 9 stages a day for 3 days and 3 on Wed, then head home. Or start Wed and shoot until Saturday. That way people who still work for a living can get away with only burning 3 or worst case 4 vacation days.

I personally can't see taking off an entire week; not to mention the additional couple of nights accomodations and eating out. This could shape up to be a $3000+ bill and that puts it out of a lot of shooter's reach. I think attendance will drop drastically this year.

Also, what are you going to do in the St. George area for five half-days while you're not shooting? Zion is cool for one half day if you haven't seen it yet. Otherwise? Get incredibly bored, that's what...

The match is Thurs-Sunday for the main match. It's only four days, which is the same schedule you're proposing. Monday-Tuesday, staff match, Wed off to reset the stages, Thur-Sun Main Match. It's only one day longer than the previous Nationals matches with a lot more stages.

Chuck,

Are you sure about this? Everything I heard from the folks at USPSA HQ says that it is a full 5 day match. My invite said the same thing. Just need to double check the information to see if it is correct. Airplane booked already for a 5 day match.

Details on the USPSA Nationals web-site indicates that the match itself is four days, presumably registration is the day before:

2014 STI USPSA Handgun Nationals

Dates: September 21 – 28th

Pre-Match September 22-23 (Limited to 240 – priority Staff), Regular Match September 25-28

Host: USPSA

Match Director: USPSA President
RangeMaster: Troy McManus

Match Structure: 28 Stages shot in half day format over 4 days. Production, Limited 10, Limited and Open divisions will shoot the match concurrently.

Other match information will be available as we get closer to the match

Seems like nobody had that updated information when I called to confirm before I booked the flight.

Glad I now have the corrected information.

My printed invite still says Sept 21-27, 2014.

Edited by Zerwas

I understand that when match dates are published they must list all the days there is any competition, so if the match staff shoots prior to the rest of the competitors those days must be included.