Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bullet weight for 9mm load

Dragon11

Getting ready to shoot production division with Glock 34 using Bayou Bullets. Before I order and spend the money, what weight are guys using? I'm looking at 124 gr. vs. the 160 gr. bullets in 9mm, using Super Field powder. I have two concerns. One, which weight is better for reducing recoil. And second, which weight is better for putting down steel in USPSA. I thought most guys were using the lighter bullet, but just wanted to make sure.

Heavier bullet will make the recoil feel less and drop the steel better.

That helps but leads me to another question. I think Bayou sells 147 gr. also. Which is the better heavier bullet 147 gr or the 160 gr.? And, if the heavier bullet reduces recoil why aren't more guys shooting 40 caliber, with heavier bullets? Not that I plan on shooting a 40, I'm just curious.

That helps but leads me to another question. I think Bayou sells 147 gr. also. Which is the better heavier bullet 147 gr or the 160 gr.? And, if the heavier bullet reduces recoil why aren't more guys shooting 40 caliber, with heavier bullets? Not that I plan on shooting a 40, I'm just curious.

I have only test fired 160s over a crono and they are stupid soft, but I hear that they're not really accurate at or near 125pf; which is also why the principle of "heavy bullet, sold recoil" has its limit, a big bullet can only go so slow and still be accurate. Too slow and bullets start tumbling. So you can have a soft .40 Minor load with 180s, but it may not group worth a damn until you push it up to 145-150pf. 147 seems to be the most popular heavy bullet for 9 Minor.

WSF+ a 147 makes a good load

I have only test fired 160s over a crono and they are stupid soft, but I hear that they're not really accurate at or near 125pf; which is also why the principle of "heavy bullet, sold recoil" has its limit, a big bullet can only go so slow and still be accurate. Too slow and bullets start tumbling. So you can have a soft .40 Minor load with 180s, but it may not group worth a damn until you push it up to 145-150pf. 147 seems to be the most popular heavy bullet for 9 Minor.

After the help and education I'll run with the 147 gr. bullets. Makes sense to me. I appreciate all the info. I plan on ordering some this week.

I think most do shoot heavy bullets in .40, 180-200, for major anyhow. In minor, that heavy of a bullet will feel pretty sluggish in the slide velocity. How you doin', Ed?

What's happening Bob!

I run 147 gr with 4.1 gr of WSF in my Glock 34 for Production. Super accurate and very soft. Also knocks steel over very well. Last chrono was about 140 PF at 1.125 OAL using Zero JHP. I'm sure you could lower that a few tenths of a grain for Bayou's and get the same results.

I've shot thousands of Montana Gold 124's also.. and much prefer the 147 grain loads.

Edited by ZombieHunter

I noticed that 147 Bayou's have the flat tip. Does that make that much of a difference versus an all round nose bullet for feeding?

My buddy just picked up 1K of the Bayou 147 and they shot great out of his G34 using TG. He is shooting a match with them this coming weekend however so far, so good...

There's more load data for 124/147 in 9mm. 160's start getting a bit long in a 9mm. I'm using the 358 160 Bayou's in 38 short colts, close to a 9mm in volume, in a 627 at 130+pf and they are super accurate. The issue comes as the pressures start dropping at lower velocities, depending on powder they start getting dirty.

It's a personal preference, 124's will feel snappier than a 147, but to some the 147's feel sluggish.

If your new at this, you will see the front sight easier with 147's and may very well work better for you. As you progress you may want to try the 124's, they will probably feel better to you by then.

Of course I'll throw another wrench at you, with a slow powder like WSF the 124's will feel softer than most other 124 loads.

Ed

Started with 124's and got talked into trying 147's. Went back to 124's. 147's were too sluggish for me. Plus you get a lot more bullets for the money!

As far as which knocks steel down better? They all knock steel down just fine. There are several million threads on that topic on here. When you read them all you still won't have a clear answer.

Get some 124's. My 34 would feed any bullet shape I tried in it. Don't sweat that part of it.

This is like asking if someone prefers a Chevy, Ford, or Dodge....

The heavier bullet will reduce muzzle flip and feel softer, but is it more accurate in a timed stage??.....if the timer has gone off, what bullet is more accurate for YOU?...every shooter, gun, and adrenaline pumping through the human body is different....

My suggestion is to buy 200 of each and take them to the range and have someone put a timer on you..the results will dictate which way you should go..

..Good Shooting..

I run Zero 180 jhps, in .40 for IDPA, at 130-135pf, and they group about an inch at 25 yards out of my STIs, but, there are times it seems I'm waiting for the slide to close to take my next shot :surprise: