Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Speak up or hold tongue when RO's use the wrong commands

Well, I'll put it to you this way... If the RO/SO screws up something as simple as the range commands, then what else do they not know about the rulebook?

I've literally seen Master class shooters buffalo inexperienced RO/SO's into getting better scores because the RO exhibited his lack of knowledge by saying stuff like "Shooter indicates ready?"

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first started, a local M or GM who had been an RO or CRO forever, used to use the line "fondle and make lethal". He knew the correct commands but had some fun with the shooters he knew real well.

I have been using that one for years! I guess I am part of the problem. The real reason behind the correct phrasing is non English speaking or English not being a competitor's first language. The number of words and the cadence can be understood by all familiar with our game.

OP, opinions are all over the place on this one. As usual.

Opinions don't matter, only the rulebook. This is USPSA scoring, and there is a rulebook. Follow it or don't RO! Pretty simple.

Everyone is making fun of the old slide forward command, that I haven't heard in years by the way, yet hammer down can be taken just as literal. :devil:

How am I supposed to holster my gun after the RO says "if clear, hammer down, holster" it I'm holding the gun upside down? :sight:

If I may, I think the posts demonstrate how easily some of us are knocked off our game. The foundational issue seems to be not the rote recitation by the RO but how each shooter reacts to and overcomes distractions or other obstacles.

When I see a shooter launch into a hissy rant before he shoots, I know I've already beaten him. Don't beat yourself!

Mark

If I may, I think the posts demonstrate how easily some of us are knocked off our game. The foundational issue seems to be not the rote recitation by the RO but how each shooter reacts to and overcomes distractions or other obstacles.

When I see a shooter launch into a hissy rant before he shoots, I know I've already beaten him. Don't beat yourself!

Mark

So,the RO not following the rules is ok?

I think it is more of how you deal with it. If you can calmly correct them it should not affect your game. If you allow it to push your buttons then you have given the advantage to the other shooters. The most common correction i give is after I am told to "Load and make ready" I turn just a bit and say "Make ready" They are much better at saying just "Make ready" if the start is unloaded, but when the start is loaded they will occasionally insert the "Load and"

OP, opinions are all over the place on this one. As usual.

Opinions don't matter, only the rulebook. This is USPSA scoring, and there is a rulebook. Follow it or don't RO! Pretty simple.

Good luck with that!

Be respectful and can gently remind them. It's not rocket science and it's not an earth moving infraction either.

After a LOOOONG Day, in the heat, humidity and working one's butt off it's easy to get a bit muddled or fall into old commands.

Be tactful.

Best yet, offer to run the timer and use the proper commands for most of the day, maybe it will teach all!

What are the correct commands ? make ready- are you ready-stand by- if you are fin unload and show clear- if clear.... Then I say like hammer down- holster but I'm not an RO, but I get put in that situation all the time. Thanks

Edited by a matt

I believe range command corrections should be done in a private manner one on one. I won't bring it up during the act of shooting, but after I am finished, I will quietly tell the RO what the correct commands are and why they are important.

Seems to work fairly well.

I believe range command corrections should be done in a private manner one on one. I won't bring it up during the act of shooting, but after I am finished, I will quietly tell the RO what the correct commands are and why they are important.

This!

Yep.

Eric

I prefer to hear the exact correct wording but I don't let it get my panties in a bunch if a extra word or two finds it way in there ("Load and Make Ready"). I don't think nailing the language 100% is the most important factor in a good RO. If someone is willing to work and knows the safety rules solid then I don't see a problem.

My attitude does change when it comes to Level 2 or 3 matches. These are a different level of competitiveness and we should expect as close to 100% as we can get.

What bugs me is when the RO requires a answer from me. Only answer I need to give is if I'm not ready lol

Or the RO that makes the command "Shooter give me a nod when you are ready".

And when I do not nod I get a second command "nod when you are ready".

I've heard that one way too many times, and sometimes ignoring them makes them repeat it 3 or 4 times... :blink:

If I may, I think the posts demonstrate how easily some of us are knocked off our game. The foundational issue seems to be not the rote recitation by the RO but how each shooter reacts to and overcomes distractions or other obstacles.When I see a shooter launch into a hissy rant before he shoots, I know I've already beaten him. Don't beat yourself!Mark

If you are an RO and are deliberately saying stuff or doing things ti mess with shooter's heads, you should recuse yourself.

I am just happy to have local places to shoot USPSA and enough helpful people to make our matches happen. If the range commands are clear enough to ensure a safe environment I would never bring it up.

Me too. many years ago an RO gave these commands on a particular stage at a match that was an annual, bigger than monthly match, I didn't care for the extra "ready" as i was anxiously awaiting the sound of the buzzer

1.Load and make ready

2. Standby

3. Ready

beep......

I expect to hear the proper commands at major matches with dedicated RO's and CRO's on every stage but a local monthly match i don't really care "gas her up" "Load that b--ch" matters not to me. We don't always have enough willing RO's at our monthly matches so we do the best we can and may have a little fun while we are at it, with safe gun handling the priority.

The commands I need to perform shooting are "Are you Ready?" Standby" everything else doesn't mean a thing to me. Don't worry I know how/when to unload/holster my gun. I don't mean to be cavalier about safety

Now 10% of RO's have a problem with getting these two simple commands right and it affects people's match performance and that is BS :sick:

Oh and since a guy was buzzer jumping me Sunday that reminds me, I guess that's three.

If I may, I think the posts demonstrate how easily some of us are knocked off our game. The foundational issue seems to be not the rote recitation by the RO but how each shooter reacts to and overcomes distractions or other obstacles.When I see a shooter launch into a hissy rant before he shoots, I know I've already beaten him. Don't beat yourself!Mark

If you are an RO and are deliberately saying stuff or doing things ti mess with shooter's heads, you should recuse yourself.

I spoke from the viewpoint of another shooter, Chills. An RO deliberately upsetting a shooter to influence the shooter's performance needs an energetic lesson in ethics, above all else.

Mark

How should you react to the shooters that unload, show clear, and holster before you can even get if you are finished out of your mouth? I have noticed that most of the time it is the more experienced shooters doing this. Sent from Feegee's iPhone using Tapatalk

I tell them to start over with show clear.

Show clear is a range command, not a suggestion. At least that's what Jay taught. I politely repeat it...most get the point. As an RO I really don't like the hot shot,catch the brass ,holster , shooters. Be a rock star some where else...and show me clear.

Rant off.....sorry.