Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best way to learn how to shoot with both eyes?

cali shot doc

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same question a few months ago, but had a ghost image whenever I used both eyes. Everyone one I talked to just said "train and it will go away", but no one told me how to train so the ghost image problem stayed and I just got frustrated. For the longest time, I just put a small piece of scotch tape over my left eye on my shooting glasses. This obscured my vision out of that eye just enough that the ghost image went away, but I could still see for reloads and still had my pariphrial vision.

However, a shooting instructor friend of mine recently sent me the explanation below. It really made sense to me and in the short little practice time that I have tried it the ghost image is becoming less noticeable. Hopefully, now that I know what I am supposed to be practicing I will be able to remove the tape on my glasses soon.

Next time you're in the car, waiting at the stop light, I want you to look at a bug splatter on the windshield.  Really focus on it, and notice that the car in front of you just doubled.  Our eyes focus together, but at the same distance, both at the same point.  When we cross them inboard, to focus on something close, we notice the images from both eyes on points farther away.   Then focus hard on the horizon, and instantly, you'll see 2 bug splatters.  We don't notice this in the car, because we're trained to look THROUGH the glass to the outside world.  If you look, you'll notice it.

When you focus on the front sight, you'll have 2 targets, and 2 of everything else down range.  It happens.  What we learn is to filter the input until the only image that registers is the real one.  We simply don't notice the ghost.  It takes lots of repititions, but you'll get there.  I suggest you close the non dominant eye, and establish what you need to see to break the shot, then open the eye back.  All the new data is a ghost, ignore it.  Over time, you won't even see the ghost.  The eye is open, and gathering data, we just filter it out.  It takes time.  You'll get there.

I had the same question a few months ago, but had a ghost image whenever I used both eyes. Everyone one I talked to just said "train and it will go away", but no one told me how to train so the ghost image problem stayed and I just got frustrated. For the longest time, I just put a small piece of scotch tape over my left eye on my shooting glasses. This obscured my vision out of that eye just enough that the ghost image went away, but I could still see for reloads and still had my pariphrial vision.

However, a shooting instructor friend of mine recently sent me the explanation below. It really made sense to me and in the short little practice time that I have tried it the ghost image is becoming less noticeable. Hopefully, now that I know what I am supposed to be practicing I will be able to remove the tape on my glasses soon.

Next time you're in the car, waiting at the stop light, I want you to look at a bug splatter on the windshield. Really focus on it, and notice that the car in front of you just doubled. Our eyes focus together, but at the same distance, both at the same point. When we cross them inboard, to focus on something close, we notice the images from both eyes on points farther away. Then focus hard on the horizon, and instantly, you'll see 2 bug splatters. We don't notice this in the car, because we're trained to look THROUGH the glass to the outside world. If you look, you'll notice it.

When you focus on the front sight, you'll have 2 targets, and 2 of everything else down range. It happens. What we learn is to filter the input until the only image that registers is the real one. We simply don't notice the ghost. It takes lots of repititions, but you'll get there. I suggest you close the non dominant eye, and establish what you need to see to break the shot, then open the eye back. All the new data is a ghost, ignore it. Over time, you won't even see the ghost. The eye is open, and gathering data, we just filter it out. It takes time. You'll get there.

I just recently learn how to shoot with both eyes open. How I did it was with lots of perseverance, meaning dry firing a lot, focusing on the front sight, razor sharp focus. Although the "scotch tape" thing helped me somehow.

Edited by Xander

I don't doubt that some folks may be able to teach themselves to shoot with both eyes open, but I also believe that it will never happen for others. I have been shooting and teaching for 30 years now and I still can't focus on the front sight with both eyes open. That doesn't mean I run around with one eye closed while searching for a target. I keep both eyes open while searching and if the target is close I point and shoot. If I need to see the front sight to make an accurate shot I tend to squint my non dominant eye in order to see the front sight clearly. When shooting a stage, we are always changing our sight focus whether the target is near or far...easy or hard. Just remember that you can only shoot as fast as you can see. Read that in a book once. :D We are all different and you just need to find what works for you. By all means try to teach yourselve to shoot with both eyes open, but if it doesn't work...move on! There are alot of great shooters that can't either.

Mark

Also, when you are clicked into this forum, in the search field at the upper, right corner of the page, if you enter:

eye dominance

...it will search this forum for threads on that topic in this forum - there's lots of good ones.

be

• 2 weeks later...

I've never been able to do it, and shoot with scotch tape on the lens to this day.

Others pick it up almost immediately.

Not only am I cross-dominant, I'm *very* close to 50/50 eye dominance. I notice that people who seem to have a very strongly dominant eye, also have a much easier time shooting with both eyes open - which is logical.

When you pull the gun up to the shooting position, slightly close your left eye (or right eye if you are left eye dominant), the double vision should go away. Work your way up to keeping both eyes open.

Edited by rjennings10

What worked well for me was to shoot thousands of rounds at a very small target with a .22

I had to de-weaver and open both eyes at the same time. (Thanks a lot, gun store guy. :) )

I used a pop can on a string at 30-45 feet.

I would recommend a reactive (pass or fail) target over paper, the instant feedback will tell you what's happening better than paper.

You will also learn the difference between a perfect sight picture and an acceptable sight picture. All you need is an acceptable sight picture. If anyone wants a clarification on the difference, I can write more about that. :)

It will do wonders for your self-image when you get good at it.

You will also learn the difference between a perfect sight picture and an acceptable sight picture. All you need is an acceptable sight picture.

Even when shooting off sandbags on a benchrest, if your goal is not to fire upon seeing a perfect sight picture, but instead you are always refining the sight picture until the shot breaks - you will have an awakening.

;)

"What worked well for me was to shoot thousands of rounds at a very small target with a .22"

This is what I did also, took almost two bricks of .22 over a week to break the "close one eye" style. IMHO shooting with both eyes opens up the COF, everything starts with "seeing", then good things start to happen.

i'm very glad to have found this thread. i've been struggling with this lately. i almost feel like until i learn how to shoot with both eyes open, i'm gimping myself. i spend too much time switching from both open to squinting to see the sights. i'll try the tape trick.. again. and try lots of dry fire with the thumb.

Even when shooting off sandbags on a benchrest, if your goal is not to fire upon seeing a perfect sight picture, but instead you are always refining the sight picture until the shot breaks - you will have an awakening.

;)

I like that!

;)

+1 on that! I changed my front sight a while back and went to zero the gun using an MTM plastic pistol rest so I could have that perfect sight picture before squeezing the shot off. My groups were around 6" at 25 yards and I'm thinking "Wow! My barrel can't be that worn out!" I finally pushed the pistol rest over to the side and shot a group with just my elbows on the table and striving for a 'good' sight picture, not the elusive perfect sight picture. First 5 shot group out of the barrel was an inch and a half! :surprise:

I've never been able to do it, and shoot with scotch tape on the lens to this day.

Others pick it up almost immediately.

Not only am I cross-dominant, I'm *very* close to 50/50 eye dominance. I notice that people who seem to have a very strongly dominant eye, also have a much easier time shooting with both eyes open - which is logical.

I'm exactly the same way.

YMMV but the Aimpoint on my AR15 went a long way to helping me shoot with both eyes open, now it just happens. The best way I can describe it is that my brain has learned to ignore about the "other" picture. My cousin that I seduced into shooting USPSA is always asking me what I see with both eyes open. I tell him I see everything, but my brain only uses what is needed.

Personally I think too much is made of shooting with both eyes WIDE open.

I would have to dig around but I have photos of some pretty spiffy shooters, who when really needed to execute

a tough shot squint the non dominant eye.

I picked up the cellophane tape idea from none other than our host (thanks again Brian) at a Area 1 Championship many years ago!

Yes, you need to maintain sight through the non-dom eye just don't put more effort into that than trigger control.

If I HAD to pick one to do without, between trigger control and sights, it would most assuredly be sights!

I am not saying to give up on that quest, as the journey alone brings with it many rewards, just don't let that be your

only focus.

Patrick

I practice using my thumb and the "bug" method listed above. At first it was hard, but I try to focus from thumb to a target as fast as I can. I have become used the the correct image and feel like I can transistion focus faster too.

I am cross dominant and while practicing with my thumb, I realized my ghost thumb wasn't level with the focused thumb. I was leaning my head in a bit, and wasn't centered like I thought.

Nice thing, is you can practice this anytime, anywhere. I got used to the odd looks from my peers... ;)

;)

+1 on that! I changed my front sight a while back and went to zero the gun using an MTM plastic pistol rest so I could have that perfect sight picture before squeezing the shot off. My groups were around 6" at 25 yards and I'm thinking "Wow! My barrel can't be that worn out!" I finally pushed the pistol rest over to the side and shot a group with just my elbows on the table and striving for a 'good' sight picture, not the elusive perfect sight picture. First 5 shot group out of the barrel was an inch and a half! :surprise:

Go fiqure!

Nice work on that.

be

Brian Enos recommended the tape thing last year and this year I shot the TN sectional without any tape and won my class.

I definitely could have trained it faster. Every match, remove a small piece of the tape.

By the end, you will step up and make ready and your eye just knows it's time to let the dominant eye do its thing.

• 3 weeks later...

One little trick I learned from this forum was to turn my head 15-20 degrees in the direction of the weak eye (turn head left if right eye dominant) which moves your dominant eye ever so slightly closer to the front sight. Not sure if it will work for everyone but this (plus lots of dry fire) is what made it so much easier for me.

I am cross eyed dominate so i have always shot both eyes open...my dad taught me using a 410 to shoot trap and skeet then i moved on from there... i just started shooting uspsa in limited and found my self going to open after a few months...not just becuase the guns are cool but its easier with both eyes open through glass