Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division Guns

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my money any quality DA/SA is better than a striker fired gun. I shoot my HK P-30, Beretta better than I ever could with a Glock. But I'm just telling what I can and cannot do.

I have a custom shop CZ and it is way accurate, but I have been REALLY, REALLY surprised at what I have been able to do with my new Box Stock XMD5.25. I am expecting a package from Springer Precision today that should help out even more. (trigger, springs, and thin front sight)

A buddy and I shot it yesterday and I missed once and with his first time shooting it, he only missed twice at a 12" plate at 50 yards. (10 rounds each) I realize that isn't a very scientific test, but I didn't get that out of my CZ.

Edited by latech15

I have a custom shop CZ and it is way accurate, but I have been REALLY, REALLY surpised at what I have been able to do with my new Box Stock XMD5.25. I am expecting a package from Springer Precision today that should help out even more. (trigger, springs, and thin front sight)

A buddy and I shot it yesterday and I missed once and with his first time shooting it, he only missed twice at a 12" plate at 50 yards. (10 rounds each) I realize that isn't a very scientific test, but I didn't get that out of my CZ.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a custom shop CZ and it is way accurate, but I have been REALLY, REALLY surpised at what I have been able to do with my new Box Stock XMD5.25. I am expecting a package from Springer Precision today that should help out even more. (trigger, springs, and thin front sight)

Glad to hear this. I've been deciding between the two and went for the XDM 5.25. Looking forward to getting it.

i'm curious how long these weapons keep their accuracy.. i own a CZ sp01 that i like very much, but i think the overal quality is way less than a 1911 svi/sti.

O did anyone of you ever shot a Sphinx 3000? those are supposed to be the most accurate productionguns

Edited by Loki999

• 4 weeks later...

another vote for CZ Shadow. i also own a G34

I'm just like GMG, voting for CZ SP01 Shadow but I shoot a Glock 34 for Production, 35 for Limited, and 17 for IDPA SSP. My next handgun will probably be the Shadow. I hope I won't like it too much and spend a boat load of cash on switching platforms.

i'm curious how long these weapons keep their accuracy.. i own a CZ sp01 that i like very much, but i think the overal quality is way less than a 1911 svi/sti.

O did anyone of you ever shot a Sphinx 3000? those are supposed to be the most accurate productionguns

I have an 07 model CZ 75 SP01 Shadow with over 100,000 rounds through it. I have a replacement barrel ready to be fitted, but at this stage do not see any advantage. I shoot lead coated projectiles only.

Did break a trigger spring @ 30,000 rounds. This is the only part I have replaced.

I think you have to filter the responses here. Most will swear with what they. But if they haven't tried other guns then they are giving you a "bias" answer. My advice for you or other shooter is go and try shooting the gun you wanted to buy for accuracy and handling/feel. You can rent guns in some large indoor shooting ranges or better yet borrow in your local club. Most shooter will let you fire their gun for a few rounds. This way your not only trying the gun but also can ask them what mods they made(I would usually try to ask shooter with higher classification). With production striker Fired guns you need to shoot/dry fire a lot before you can really shoot decently(lighten the trigger pull as soon as you get your gun,that will shorten your learning curve a lot). While with DA/SA,just the first shot are the hard ones. I shoot a G34 but is seriously considering a CZ sp01 if I'm going back to production.

I agree with what bruised lee says.

Before I bought my last pistol, I spent a long afternoon at a local range. I brought my 1911 and my wife's Beretta 92 for comparison. I shoot the 92FS well, but did not want to end up with that as a Production comp gun if I could help it. I really wanted to end up shooting a Gen3 Glock 17 or 34.

I tried the Glock, and could not figure out how to shoot it accurately. I'd pick up the 1911 or the 92, and be right where I wanted to be, but the Glock would be all over the place. It was a similar story with the Springfield XD. The S&W M&P was better for me, but not as accurate as the 92. Based on everything I'd heard about the Sig 226, I thought that might be a contender, but my shooting with the Sig was appalling (might have been the gun, that particular Sig has been ridden HARD). The only 9mm I was as accurate with as the Beretta or my 1911 was an old CZ-75. That's one of the primary reasons I went with the 75 Shadow.

Note that I'm not claiming my 75 is more accurate overall than any of the other Production guns. It's too variable. What I can say is that on that particular day, standing static on a square range, using factory 115 gr ball, the CZ-75 and Beretta 92 were the most accurate guns in my hands. Change a variable (particularly the shooter!) and you'll probably change the outcome. I've seen folks shooting Glocks much more accurately than I can shoot anything, so it's in large part what works for you.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with what bruised lee says.

Before I bought my last pistol, I spent a long afternoon at a local range. I brought my 1911 and my wife's Beretta 92 for comparison. I shoot the 92FS well, but did not want to end up with that as a Production comp gun if I could help it. I really wanted to end up shooting a Gen3 Glock 17 or 34.

I tried the Glock, and could not figure out how to shoot it accurately. I'd pick up the 1911 or the 92, and be right where I wanted to be, but the Glock would be all over the place. It was a similar story with the Springfield XD. The S&W M&P was better for me, but not as accurate as the 92. Based on everything I'd heard about the Sig 226, I thought that might be a contender, but my shooting with the Sig was appalling (might have been the gun, that particular Sig has been ridden HARD). The only 9mm I was as accurate with as the Beretta or my 1911 was an old CZ-75. That's one of the primary reasons I went with the 75 Shadow.

Note that I'm not claiming my 75 is more accurate overall than any of the other Production guns. It's too variable. What I can say is that on that particular day, standing static on a square range, using factory 115 gr ball, the CZ-75 and Beretta 92 were the most accurate guns in my hands. Change a variable (particularly the shooter!) and you'll probably change the outcome. I've seen folks shooting Glocks much more accurately than I can shoot anything, so it's in large part what works for you.

I love my X5, but is a Competition so I have to shoot Limited. It is a wicked addition to my 3Gun set-up.

For my money any quality DA/SA is better than a striker fired gun. I shoot my HK P-30, Beretta better than I ever could with a Glock. But I'm just telling what I can and cannot do.

I have seen this comment a couple times in this thread. My question is, how does the method of primer impact make a difference in accuracy? Seriously would like to know what is the difference. I shoot an XDm9 4.5 and it's plenty accurate beyond my capability. Is it the slide/frame interface? The added safety interlocks built into striker guns? What?

I have seen this comment a couple times in this thread. My question is, how does the method of primer impact make a difference in accuracy? Seriously would like to know what is the difference. I shoot an XDm9 4.5 and it's plenty accurate beyond my capability. Is it the slide/frame interface? The added safety interlocks built into striker guns? What?

Let me put it this way. Of the striker fired guns I've used, most have not worked for me as well as a standard DA/SA. I did get a chance to use a HK P-7, now that was good! But that's just me, obviously I am in the minority

I am running a Tanfoglio small frame 9mm,..I have two. THey are wicked accurate with a bull barrel and nice SA. DA needs some polishing. I had a shadow and really liked it as well. both were reliable, but I figure the stock2 was a bit more reliable. I also ran a few USP's in production...VERY reliable...like a tank. I have a new HK P30-L-S 9mm...DA/SA. It fits my hand well although I find my trigger finger goes in to far into the trigger.

Jake,

Yes I have shot the Sphinx 3000. Nice gun, well built. Heavy, with a terrible trigger. I shot it along side of a CZ shadow SP-o1. they both shot equally well, except for the trigger pulls. ( the CZ was much better). For the money difference I would buy the CZ. ---JWB

• 2 weeks later...