Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Production Division Guns

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll chip in my .02 worth on the best production gun.

First a caveat, I'm an old guy, a C class shooter that may well never make B class. :(

That said, I've shot a M&P 4.5 inch, a M&P Pro, a XDm 4.5 inch, a XDm 5.25 and a Sig X-5 in production at some point over the last few years.

They all work flawlessly and are more accurate than I will ever be.

The XDm 5.25 and the Sig X-5 are the two that I like best. But they each take a different approach to a stage due to the DA trigger on the X-5.

I just don't start with a tight shot with the X-5.

I've had my highest HF with the X-5.

As I said, just my .02 worth YMMV. Find one you like and practice.

Bill

It occured to me that two of the guns most mentioned here are the Shadow and Sig X-five, both heavy steel framed guns. I think part of the reason these guns are so accurate for alot of people is that heavier guns are easier to hold steady on a target, they dont seem to be affected so much by those small muscle tremors most everyone has when shooting something long range free style. I know alot of bench rest rifles are often quite heavy.

Benchrest shooting grew from varmint hunting, where the shooters would aim for highly accurate rifles, using mostly .22 caliber cartridges. Initially, competitors could use just about any gun they wished. Eventually, classes of guns were created to enhance the sport's competitiveness. For example, centerfire group shooting encompasses the "Light Varmint" (maximum 10.5 pounds (4.8 kg) overall), "Heavy Varmint" (13.5 pounds (6.1 kg) overall), "Sporter" (10.5 pounds (4.8 kg), and .243 caliber or greater), and "Unlimited" classes.

Edited by Philo_Beddoe

• 1 month later...

Glocks don't "shoot all over the place". The trigger pull requires clean technique.

1911 for me was instantly "pretty good".

Glock was not.

When my Glock got "pretty good" from practicing, my 1911 got BETTER.

Go figure...

What is interesting.. my kimber 1911 out of the box seemed to be more accurate that my G34. I realized that the size of the frame with my smaller hands needed some practice. Now, I can shoot both about equally well. Some mods to my 34 certainly helped IMO.

• 3 months later...

As a lover of the XD I picked up a cz75 to try in USPSA. Sadly I must report the cz is the superior gun for this game. Still love my XDm but I'll be shooting the cz in competition.

Chris

G34- price is good, parts are cheap and plentiful, will shoot dirt if you can get it into a brass casing. You do have to practice like a mad man, but once you get it, youve pretty much got it.

buuuuuuutttttt.....if price isnt really an option then the Shadow hands down!

CZ shadow does not have a FPB, so the reset on it is nice unlike the rest of CZ'. But don't you have to decock it manually for USPSA?

I have a whole slew of CZ's they are the most accurate mechanically (tested from a pistol rest) But I shoot a glock and M&P better.

Matter of preference, I can not stand the long reset, so for me the reset makes or breaks the pistol.

sti gp6 for me unbelievably acurate

+1

60% of the price of the Shadow. Upgrade the mag release and sights. You're set.

I get nice 2" groups at 50 ft. Unbelievably light SA pull. A bit of a flip on commercial loads. I will soon start testing my own recipes.

Never jammed, except for when I bought it (it was scary dry and I shot it right away) and when I went without cleaning it up purposely.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_0122.jpg

Shot offhand, best group I've ever managed - with a rental no less - that's like having the best sex of your life with a hooker!

Now I have a G17 and a G34, both G4's. Phenomenally accurate. Apparently the lockup is tighter than the G3's.

FtWorth20102034.jpg

10 rds at 25yds, Mixed brass, home cast bullets, G34 with KKM barrel. So not really stock. Standing Freestyle, not from a bench. Also It's obvious I pulled one of the 10 rds. I shot just this one group in the last 6 months. I never ever shoot groups. I stink at shooting groups

Load is

Accurate Molds 135g (35-135B Design). Weight 143gr before lube. Sized to .357", 1.080" OAL, 3.7 gr Solo 1000. 930 FPS 132pf out of my G34 with a KKM barrel.

http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=2

Edited by 98sr20ve