Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Handgun Magazines

ROTFLMAO! The silence is deafening.

I read G&A Handguns only because I was given a subscription. The last issue showed major improvements so it might just become what it was back at it's inception in the early 90's. They have some IDPA stuff in there now and then and with the new corral of writers they may improve. Hope springs eternal.

I also read American - Four-Wheeler Review - Rifleman. But only because I am a life member and I get it for "free" now. They have some very limited match coverage. Very, very, limited. If we all rode 4-wheelers at matches their coverage would probably improve though.

Edited by kimel

I recommend Handloader. It is not a "handgun"magazine, but, if you get lucky, sometimes you will find good articles on reloading for handguns. I have given up on all other current magazines. I just try to buy good gun magazines at gun shows that are pre-1980 to further my education.

I like to read S.W.A.T. and Women & Guns, but neither is very good for competition coverage. As far as general gun and political content go, they're pretty good though.

I wish there were enough of us to support a magazine devoted to competitive shooting, but the past attempts just could not stay afloat.

American Handgunner is the only one I read other than Front Sight, and even then I have to skip some of the articles, since they can be a little tough to handle.

Wasn't there something like "Shooting Games" magazine? I think it went out of print, and I never had a chance to even see an issue, but you would think that between IPSC and IDPA this would be a exploitable market.

Wasn't there something like "Shooting Games" magazine? I think it went out of print, and I never had a chance to even see an issue, but you would think that between IPSC and IDPA this would be a exploitable market.

Wally Arida's GunGames rag.

Went belly up a few years ago - only lasted 3 or 4 years all told, IIRC.

A relatively new magazine is out for the SASS competitors called 'SHOOT' it has a lot of the same flavor as 'GUNGAMES'. 'SHOOT' seems to have a large advertising base and a good sized subscription base so it should be profitiable.

I think there is a market for a strictly shooting competition magazine, not that I'll be risking any of my vast fortune to back up that claim. 'GUNGAMES' was mostly an IPSC and Fast Draw oriented magazine with a tidbit here and there on other shooting sports. I think Wally didn't cover enough of the other sports to build a large enough audience/advertising base and overspent on the quality of the magazine. He may have been a couple of years early as well and missed the real boom in SASS.

I used to read American Handgunner and still like the purty pictures, but they have really joined the "Tactical Cartel" and can even quote Voigt and Koenig to make them sound down on USPSA.

Like I said in the magazine articles humor postings, when they bumped an article on TGO's perfect year (2002) to publish another article about some mall ninja's IDPA scowl and yell practice session in his garage, I had to start looking elsewhere.

I guess we are back to wishing Front Site had more meat in their tournament coverage.

I guess we are back to wishing Front Site had more meat in their tournament coverage.

One of the nicer things about Front Site is we, the average reader, can actually contribute to the magazine and get our articles published instead of just pirated by the editorial staff. I've had several articles printed, as have other forum members. If you want more tournament coverage, go shoot the matches and then write the article! Hey, they'll even pay you for it!

I thought American Handgunner was a really cool magazine until I found five or six copies of AH from the mid-eighties at a gun show. Folks, that magazine back then was something.

The March/April 1984 edition had the following articles included:

1984: The year of the 9MM auto?- an article concerning the move to 9mm for the US military and the rivalry btwn S&W and Beretta for the contract.

The 1983 IPSC World Shoot--A 3 1/2 page write-up on the World Shoot in Yorktown, Virginia. Rob (TGO) Leatham was the winner. Lots of pictures and sidebars.

1983 National Police Revolver Championships A well written article that described the courses of fire and competitors.

As I look through the magazine, I notice lots of adverts for pistol leather, .45's of every description, 9mm handguns, new and old and lots of revolvers. .38 supers were few and far between and not yet used in IPSC competition yet (I think TGO won the 1984 nationals with one of the first), and .40 and 10mm weren't even designed yet. But I looked throughout the entire magazine and didn't see one advertisement for a ninja blade or a single article of camo clothing.

I guess, the best we can possibly hope for in gun rags from now on, is an occasional article on a really big match or a gun review from one of our favorite BE gun-writers because I, for one, don't intend to carry a ninja blade or run around in the dark wearing NVG's and facepaint with black BDU's. But someone does, and I guess that's who pays the bills.

just my two cents worth.

dj

High capacity (higher than standard capacity) mags for STI, SV, or Glock tuned by Beven Grams or, at least running his followers, basepads, and springs.

Oh... you were talking about the OTHER kind of magazine.

Uhm... uh... errr... I'll get back to you on that one.

humm. how about the Dillon catalog?

side note:

i had a subcription to 'gungames magazine' until it went belly up. in it's place the new owners or whoever is now sending me...no get this, the cowboy action shooting magazine, 'shooting' (?name) and i get 'swat' magazine until my 'gungames' magazine expires.

now, i don't mind the 'swat' mag so much, but the cowboy action mag is embarrassing :angry: . at least it comes in an evelope.

lynn