Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

furthest pistol shot you've attempted and made

cletus9mm

I'm newer to longer distance shooting, and I just started using a Ruger Mark II Target Competition with an Ultradot Matchdot. It just came in the mail last weekend. I just sighted it at 50 yards a few days ago. I can hit a 1" steel rod target at 25 yards, a 4" plate at 50 yards, an 8" plate at 75 yards and 10" plate at 100 yards.

My friend who has 15 years on me with his same configuration hits a padlock at 75 yards, a 1" steel rod target at 50 yards and a plate at 150 yards.

---

For combat, I have hit the 8" plate at 75 yards and 50 yards first time trying the gun out with my Coonan 1911. My Ed Brown Special Forces can also do the same. I've only been able to hit out to 50 yards with my Mars Armament T.H.U.G. My Pythons and Smith and Wesson Model 627s only go to 50 yards shooting double action, right now. It's much more challenging trying a 75 yard plate in double action plate with a 357 Magnum, but I'm working on that, also.

I take out anywhere from 4-6 guns on an outing once or twice a week.

A year ago, I was only able to stay in the black at 7 yards (Shoot N See add on targets).

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

A few of us hit the range the other day to zero and dope our rifles for the FNH 3-gun match.

For shiggles, we busted out the 9mm minor guns to ring steel at long range.

A couple of us made hits out to 300 yards - you've got to put a hell of a lot of holdover to get out that far.

You probably won't get a first round hit but you'll surely scare the hell out of somebody. :roflol:

I tried shooting out to 400 yards but aiming at 45 degrees in the air is pushing the limitations of the cartridge - got pretty damn close but no luck.

The bay goes out to 700 yards but I'm pretty sure hitting the berm means aiming into the air (dangerous).

• 4 months later...

Longest shot: 200 yards with a scoped TC Contender in 30-30 Winchester using a scope and sand bags; was shooting at small swinging steel targets.

Otherwise - used to shoot NRA small bore silhouette, and the rams are 100 meter targets; best I could do free handed with open sights is 4 or 5 out of 10. Gun used was a Ruger Mk II with about a 10" bull barrel.

Playing at longer ranges with the USPSA gun is a good way to blow off steam after a practice session.

Edited by Luv2rideWV

At my local range there is a steel plate at 200 yards on the main range. I usually run the plate rack to practice. My buddy was stoked he was hitting the plates at 200 with his 308 savage, I upped the anty with shooting the same plate with my glock 34 with 135 pf ammo. Took a couple shots and adjustments, but previously the max I had tried a pistol shot was 100 yards. We will try 300/ 400 the next time I am at my alternate range.

I was taking a carbine class with a buddy and we were shooting uspsa metric targets at about 65 yards and had been transitioning to our handguns but Seeklander said not to worry about it at this distance. I was using my duty Glock with about a 7 lbs trigger and called a head shot to my buddy. One alpa, in the head, not to be reproduced.

Twice a week when I practice I shoot 6" plates @ 40 yards right went I start and the last shots before I leave. Never had the opportunity to shoot 100+ yd steel, but it sounds like fun!

Edited by a matt

• 3 weeks later...

This is not the farthest I can shoot, but I made this video last summer at 50 yards. Don't worry, the video isn't sideways.

"Those bullets must be tired by the time they get there" - now that is some funny shit right there

nothin' to brag about, but after the 1992 steel challenge down at 5 dogs, we were playing with a 175-200 yard plate with steel loads. shooting weak hand unsupported. took me 8-9 rounds but i hit it. video proof is here:

125 yards (or so)

Ruger 22/45

Old Budwiser bottle (no not drinking and shot, found bottle and shot)

1.5 mags (15rds or so)

Stopped after I did it as I knew I used up my luck for the year. HAHA!

Oh, and I was 17 with good eyes. Find target raise up and fire.

Edited by USCSBarney